ESPN Believes Cards Can Be a Quick Rebuild.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get it, but i humbly disagree with "Kyler is paid to play football, that's it". He is paid to be the face of the franchise and play football. Just like Joe Burrow as an example that has already be laid out. That is the blueprint for a franchise QB imho. He does both.
Omaha, THAT I can agree with. But what is "paid to be the face of the franchise?" If we're talking being first to the podium after a loss, being the guy that the team is marketed around, having to make public appearances, and who the team hangs its public image on then YES. I'm in full agreement with that. Out of pocket charitable expenditures is NOT part of that equation, in my opinion. No one has the right to check another man's or woman's pocket. It's just not anyone's business what he does with the money he makes from his employment. It's just not.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I get it, but i humbly disagree with "Kyler is paid to play football, that's it". He is paid to be the face of the franchise and play football. Just like Joe Burrow as an example that has already be laid out. That is the blueprint for a franchise QB imho. He does both.

I don't want to mince words, but it says that in his contract? That he's "required to be the face of the franchise"?

Or is it just implied that he should be? Or maybe just that you want him to be? Why can't Budda Baker be the face of the franchise?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
9 wins would be a very good year considering what has transpired. That's my most optimistic outlook.

The #1 priority for the Cardinals organization from the cooks in the cafeteria to Michael Bidwill is getting Kyler Murray back to being Kyler Murray. He sucked last year for a multitude of reasons, but he has to get better at the things he can control. You know like, not fumbling when he is scrambling around and throwing more accurate deep balls.
That is much more realistic. I don't think we make 9 wins, but, if everything goes perfectly, I can see more optimistic people seeing it.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As a Murray hater, you saying he stunk has ZERO cred. Considering the crap all around him, he was closer to exceptional than he was to “he stunk”. In reality he was probably somewhere in between.
Learn to read. That’s not what I said & you‘re better than that.
Sorry PAC, as a Kyler lover, you made a declarative statement and followed it by a nebulous qualifier. Apparently to be right both ways? I think the "haters" reading comprehension isn't the issue here, the double speak is. Your opinion that he was "closer to exceptional" is somewhere in between, no?
We all get it, he's the best young QB in the history of the franchise, he had bad coaching, injuries, etc., etc. Anyway, Kyler stunk last year for whatever reason or reasons there are. He has a lot to prove when he's healthy again.

OmahaCardsFan

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't want to mince words, but it says that in his contract? That he's "required to be the face of the franchise"?

Or is it just implied that he should be? Or maybe just that you want him to be? Why can't Budda Baker be the face of the franchise?
Good question. All I can say is as a fan and a Cardinal fan when I look for the face of the franchise I’m not looking at safety’s. I’m looking at the blueprint in comparison like a joe burrow that works. Someone that can grow the fan base, lead the team and support / sell the brand to the public. We have always lacked that which is why we are who we are and have always been. Oh and play good football. Just my 2 cents

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I TOTALLY FEEL YOU CW!!! It's like JUST because he's the QB he has to "be the guy". If he's 100% an introvert, single, and likes his cats, listens to folk music, and enjoys herbal tea in his garden, does HE HAVE to do commercials for the local car dealership, be at EVERY function, and maintain an active social media presence that the fan base can engage with? His performance should really be enough. Most qb's because it's such an ALPHA position embrace it, but a winner who does as I highlighted should be just as accepted. I would personally be just fine with a quiet championship level QB. Burrow and Allen are just built different and that's okay.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
You're saying this team can achieve 11 to 13 wins? Do you really think a stellar draft--yes, that would be a stellar draft--and a few OL starters and re-signing our own free agents gets us to a possible 4 loss season? I don't, not by a long shot. Also, what you described isn't a simple get back on track offseason, but a grand slam home run.

They can with some luck. Just look at the Vikings this year. A very average team with few injuries among their major players and lots of luck and some good playmaking among coaches and playmakers in close games.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
They can with some luck. Just look at the Vikings this year. A very average team with few injuries among their major players and lots of luck and some good playmaking among coaches and playmakers in close games.
Not just the Vikings. Also the New York Football Giants.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sorry PAC, as a Kyler lover, you made a declarative statement and followed it by a nebulous qualifier. Apparently to be right both ways? I think the "haters" reading comprehension isn't the issue here, the double speak is. Your opinion that he was "closer to exceptional" is somewhere in between, no?
We all get it, he's the best young QB in the history of the franchise, he had bad coaching, injuries, etc., etc. Anyway, Kyler stunk last year for whatever reason or reasons there are. He has a lot to prove when he's healthy again.
Obviously, you must not have followed this franchise long enough to understand the meaning of “stink”. His numbers may be below HIS average, but the kid still had twice as many touchdowns as interceptions (14/7) and still completed almost 67% of his passes. Neither of those statistics over 11 games stinks. They may be average, but they surely don’t stink. There’s exceptional…………..there’s average………..there‘s stink. I stand by he was closer on the scale to exceptional than he was on the scale to stink, and closer to the middle. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: TRW

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Obviously, you must not have followed this franchise long enough to understand the meaning of “stink”. His numbers may be below HIS average, but the kid still had twice as many touchdowns as interceptions (14/7) and still completed almost 67% of his passes. Neither of those statistics over 11 games stinks. They may be average, but they surely don’t stink. There’s exceptional…………..there’s average………..there‘s stink. I stand by he was closer on the scale to exceptional than he was on the scale to stink, and closer to the middle. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
No worries PAC no rancor on my end. It’s all good even if we disagree. Been a fan for 55 years here.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Omaha, THAT I can agree with. But what is "paid to be the face of the franchise?" If we're talking being first to the podium after a loss, being the guy that the team is marketed around, having to make public appearances, and who the team hangs its public image on then YES. I'm in full agreement with that. Out of pocket charitable expenditures is NOT part of that equation, in my opinion. No one has the right to check another man's or woman's pocket. It's just not anyone's business what he does with the money he makes from his employment. It's just not.

FYI I never brought up Kyler's money. I was always referring to his time. I don't care what he does with his own money.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

With an average around 6 yards per attempt and a TD%, Passer rating, QBR and yards per game worse than all previous years.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With an average around 6 yards per attempt and a TD%, Passer rating, QBR and yards per game worse than all previous years.
Many, many, many, many factors outside of Kyler himself contributed to him being below HIS average. Still doesn’t equate to stink. We’ll agree to disagree.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The sad part is I suspect that if he put himself out there more we'd find him likeable. Maybe even charming.

Its just disappointing there's such a disconnect with the fans. I feel like I knew Drew Stanton better.
Well Drew danced for us, so....

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I TOTALLY FEEL YOU CW!!! It's like JUST because he's the QB he has to "be the guy". If he's 100% an introvert, single, and likes his cats, listens to folk music, and enjoys herbal tea in his garden, does HE HAVE to do commercials for the local car dealership, be at EVERY function, and maintain an active social media presence that the fan base can engage with? His performance should really be enough. Most qb's because it's such an ALPHA position embrace it, but a winner who does as I highlighted should be just as accepted. I would personally be just fine with a quiet championship level QB. Burrow and Allen are just built different and that's okay.
Heh... look, i dig kyler. I would game with him if it wasnt cod.

Sure i would like him to be more.....something..

But he never gets accused of rape. There are no videos of him doing the naked hot tub sqirm with the asu cheer squad... dude has never gotten **** faced and watched as his entourage kicked the **** out of an overzealous fan at the club...

So he dont do puff pieces.
Okay.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Good question. All I can say is as a fan and a Cardinal fan when I look for the face of the franchise I’m not looking at safety’s. I’m looking at the blueprint in comparison like a joe burrow that works. Someone that can grow the fan base, lead the team and support / sell the brand to the public. We have always lacked that which is why we are who we are and have always been. Oh and play good football. Just my 2 cents

I bet Michael B would appreciate that a lot. It would make him a lot richer, that's for sure.

And I am so sick of all the burrow love on here. It is so gross. It makes me want to puke my guts out.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
The Jags pre-Trevor Lawrence were an absolute dumpster fire. No WRs, poor OL, no QB, no RBs, no TEs. Defense had a few pieces, but lots of holes as well.

If the Cardinals can resign Murphy and Allen and have a stellar draft, they should be on the right path. The biggest fix is getting Murray to play to his capabilities. That was the single biggest issue this year.
That and coaching

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I started this thread because I wanted people to know there was some hope. There are way too many variables to make any accurate forecasts about next year.
1. How will Murray recover and when? When I began scouting one of the things
I learned was recovery was hard to predict. Some players are never the same even if it’s not a major injury, consider David Johnson. Some players can come back once they find out they are mortal.
2. Who will the coach be and what is his timeline And his philosophy?
3. How does the draft play out? How many holes did they fill? Do the pick match their assessments? Do the Cards need to compensate with draft picks?
4. How many injuries do the Cards suffer?
5. With rebuilt lines, how long will it take for them to jell?
6. Will Hopkins be traded and if so will he be replaced?
I’m sure there are other variables. Certainly too many to calculate accurately.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started this thread because I wanted people to know there was some hope. There are way too many variables to make any accurate forecasts about next year.
1. How will Murray recover and when? When I began scouting one of the things
I learned was recovery was hard to predict. Some players are never the same even if it’s not a major injury, consider David Johnson. Some players can come back once they find out they are mortal.
2. Who will the coach be and what is his timeline And his philosophy?
3. How does the draft play out? How many holes did they fill? Do the pick match their assessments? Do the Cards need to compensate with draft picks?
4. How many injuries do the Cards suffer?
5. With rebuilt lines, how long will it take for them to jell?
6. Will Hopkins be traded and if so will he be replaced?
I’m sure there are other variables. Certainly too many to calculate accurately.
I just started another thread asking who will be our starting Qb on opening day. Who do you think , Harry?