No option to trade down, so would you go Will Anderson or Jalen Carter?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This team needs an impact player. Carter doesn’t set off fireworks even if he plays well. Anderson on the other hand will wow the fans if he comes in and plays like Hutchinson.
It appears we really can’t go wrong with either player.
It comes down to how you want to rebuild. Is there another pass rusher in the 2nd round if we were to draft Carter? If it were me I’d take the pass rusher and go from there.
I don't see how Carter is a can't go wrong player when he put up almost no college production. What am I missing?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
With Carter, the problem is production. If he's so good why was his production so very, very low? It isn't like great college DTs don't put up numbers. Folks are likening him to Aaron Donald, but Donald put up the numbers and Carter very much didn't. That makes me want to pass on him, unless this problem can be adequately explained. That's a bust predictor right there.
He's a consolation prize to me.

I do see him beat good college players fairly easily and he will be a target for double teams regularly.

But you don't take that for a gamewrecker like Anderson. Look at his game against Arkansas and how many times he was meeting the RB and QB in the backfield on RPOs. He's crazy good.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't see how Carter is a can't go wrong player when he put up almost no college production. What am I missing?
He was doubled a ton. And he beat alot of doubles. He also forced QBs to move their spot A LOT. That is a meaningful thing.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With Carter, the problem is production. If he's so good why was his production so very, very low? It isn't like great college DTs don't put up numbers. Folks are likening him to Aaron Donald, but Donald put up the numbers and Carter very much didn't. That makes me want to pass on him, unless this problem can be adequately explained. That's a bust predictor right there.
It does baffle me as to why so many very knowledgeable talent evaluators gush about Carter. I read that he has an insanely quick first step for a relatively big man. And then I read that his quick step gets him into trouble because he falls a lot? He’s strong yes, but there’s no way I see him as ever being as strong as Aaron Donald. I’ve also read that he has progressed a lot, and that the sky is the limit as he continues to get stronger at the next level. I can’t lie. I’d be happy if he’s the guy we landed, but I just don’t see him a a guaranteed stud that you draft at 3.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It does baffle me as to why so many very knowledgeable talent evaluators gush about Carter. I read that he has an insanely quick first step for a relatively big man. And then I read that his quick step gets him into trouble because he falls a lot? He’s strong yes, but there’s no way I see him as ever being as strong as Aaron Donald. I’ve also read that he has progressed a lot, and that the sky is the limit as he continues to get stronger at the next level. I can’t lie. I’d be happy if he’s the guy we landed, but I just don’t see him a a guaranteed stud that you draft at 3.
I'd counter that if you look at his matchups against the best OL in this class, you'll see Carter whup them often. I think Carter CAN develop into an All Pro DT. The NFL will not double him as often and he won't see as many spread offenses that are designed to get the ball out quick. He's a phenomenally talented player, but I think Anderson is even better.

I'd say it's like a 97 overall player vs a 96 overall player in my book. I'll be excited about either player, but I'm more bullish on Anderson because of his production.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
plus there are other DTs in this draft that I like that could be had in the R2-R4 range. None might be as good at everything, but combine the qualities of 2 of them, moving them about the line, and they would solve both our run and pass deficiencies.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Draft Anderson at 3 or trade out if Bears take him.

(Other than the scenario of dropping to 4 and nabbing either one).

Here's hoping Bears get Carter, but they will probably trade down, twice if they are lucky.
(1->2, 2->?). Could totally turn that franchise around.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Draft Anderson at 3 or trade out if Bears take him.

(Other than the scenario of dropping to 4 and nabbing either one).

Here's hoping Bears get Carter, but they will probably trade down, twice if they are lucky.
(1->2, 2->?). Could totally turn that franchise around.
I'm an Anderson guy, but it would also be crazy to pass on Carter as well. A player who teams have to completely account for on every play will free up other players around him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd counter that if you look at his matchups against the best OL in this class, you'll see Carter whup them often. I think Carter CAN develop into an All Pro DT. The NFL will not double him as often and he won't see as many spread offenses that are designed to get the ball out quick. He's a phenomenally talented player, but I think Anderson is even better.

I'd say it's like a 97 overall player vs a 96 overall player in my book. I'll be excited about either player, but I'm more bullish on Anderson because of his production.
Then why doesn't he put up numbers? Everyone's saying things like this, but he would de facto be putting up numbers if this were the case. Is it a case of pure projection based on size/speed?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
A short time ago I decided to do a serious straight forward draft to see what the most advantageous thing the Cardinals could possibly do to improve the most. Guess what happened.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I prefer Anderson but am not willing to trade down anymore if it means we lose both.

My perfect world is a team trades up to #1 and takes a qb. the Texans take the next QB. And then we swap picks with the colts for the third QB still giving us the pick of the two at 4. If Stroud and Young go quick, people may get super stupid for Levis. It could happen.

It could make the Colts do something stupid in order to secure the third QB. I repeat COULD.

Regardless, I'm Anderson then Carter now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Then why doesn't he put up numbers? Everyone's saying things like this, but he would de facto be putting up numbers if this were the case. Is it a case of pure projection based on size/speed?
I guess I would tell you to just watch his tape. He is legit beating guys that are going to be 1st/2nd round picks pretty badly. He has a ton of almost finishes. I'd wager his hurries stats (which I haven't seen the numbers) are really high. He had good size, great strength, and very rare ability to win once his first move doesn't work.

I'm not down on him at all, so that should tell you how good I think Anderson is. I put a premium on guys who finish, and I put a premium on guys that are big pluses in the run game. Both Anderson and Carter will be huge against the run, as will Tyree Wilson.

Wilson would be my trade down guy or maybe Clancy from Pittsburgh who is rising. Wilson is super long, super strong and has fantastic instincts, but doesn't have a fully developed arsenal of pass rush moves yet. Clancy looks A LOT like Aaron Donald, but I bet you're probably already familiar with him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I prefer Anderson but am not willing to trade down anymore if it means we lose both.

My perfect world is a team trades up to #1 and takes a qb. the Texans take the next QB. And then we swap picks with the colts for the third QB still giving us the pick of the two at 4. If Stroud and Young go quick, people may get super stupid for Levis. It could happen.

It could make the Colts do something stupid in order to secure the third QB. I repeat COULD.

Regardless, I'm Anderson then Carter now.
I think that's the big hope is that the Colts freak out and trade up with the Cardinals. Grabbing their 2nd rounder would be huge. I'd consider using it on an explosive offensive player to help get more layups for Murray.