POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time giving up a high first round pick (2023 or 2024) for a coach. That would give me serious heartburn.
Right? How do we expect to really get better giving up these piece(s)?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quite possible that once Kroenke and Jerrah heard about how much draft capital it would take to get him from Saints, they both just decided to convince McVay to stay another year (Kroenke) and not fire McCarthy this year (Jerrah). Payton goes back to Fox and in 2024 is Sean Watch all over again, when the trade price from the Saints should be much lower.
Why some of us wanted to keep Kliff another year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Odd that Fangios name hasn’t come up much at least from my recollection for DC jobs. Are Payton and Fangio tied at the hip no matter what?

He has. He's interviewed for the Falcons, Panthers and he's lined up for the Dolphins.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seems like everyone is bailing on Payton.

Has anyone considered that Payton might not have actually impressed at his interviews? or the money and compensation it would cost a team you have to blow guys out of the water to have them willing to do that.

What if he was just meh?

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Has anyone considered that Payton might not have actually impressed at his interviews? or the money and compensation it would cost a team you have to blow guys out of the water to have them willing to do that.

What if he was just meh?

Then it would be extremely Cardinals to overpay for him to fail massively :p

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cowherd was talking today about Payton and the importance of having a good QB due to the lack of high quality prospects in the draft. Interesting...
Said Payton would be better taking the Arizona job over Carolina. Finally something positive from Cowherd on us.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then it would be extremely Cardinals to overpay for him to fail massively :p

It would be very Mike for everyone else to drop out because they don't think he's work it them hand over a bunch of money and picks anyway.

Hopefully with Monti involved it won't happen.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Said Payton would be better taking the Arizona job over Carolina. Finally something positive from Cowherd on us.

Cowherd was saying just last week no way he goes to the Cardinals.

I suppose if he covers all the angles he will be right on one of them :)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont know if you have ever interviewed for a job that you didnt need or want

it is hard to be convincing / passionate in those situations and i think it shows

curious is Payton is simply exploring jobs he doesnt have much of an interest in or not

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You and who else?

I suggested it too. It made sense to get a new GM in place and let them decide and with Kyler's injury let Kliff carry the can rather than a new HC.

This franchise wastes so much capital always thinking "next year is the year". Sometimes it obviously isn't and it's best to accept it and use it to build for the year after.

It would have given Monti a year to get everything in place without the pressure of having to try supply a new HC desperate to prove his worth right away.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

What if he was just meh?
His contract demands, along with the draft compensation, is a heavy burden for any team, especially for a coach that probably isn't even in the top 5 in his profession. It would take an extremely desperate organization to hire him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His contract demands, along with the draft compensation, is a heavy burden for any team, especially for a coach that probably isn't even in the top 5 in his profession. It would take an extremely desperate organization to hire him.

Michael Bidwill says hello

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Yes saw that too. Called Russ washed yesterday. Very interesting how that narrative from Cowherd has changed so much.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Live on NFL Network Rapsheet and Garapolo saying less than 50-50 Payton takes a job this year. No second interview scheduled in Denver.

If Quinn not hired, AZ is last possibility.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wonder if this lowers the price?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suggested it too. It made sense to get a new GM in place and let them decide and with Kyler's injury let Kliff carry the can rather than a new HC.

This franchise wastes so much capital always thinking "next year is the year". Sometimes it obviously isn't and it's best to accept it and use it to build for the year after.

It would have given Monti a year to get everything in place without the pressure of having to try supply a new HC desperate to prove his worth right away.
And turned fans off while wasting a year of a new system. Totally disagree.
The culture was so bad it would have been a joke.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So we should just waste it. You think installing a new system and changing the culture is not worth it?
I'm saying next is likely a waste even if we had Payton.

However, I think there is a strong possibility that Payton doesn't coach next year because the Saints are asking for too much. Next year when he may become more available, (because the asking price will obviously go down) we likely won't be in the running because we hired a different coach.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Live on NFL Network Rapsheet and Garapolo saying less than 50-50 Payton takes a job this year. No second interview scheduled in Denver.

If Quinn not hired, AZ is last possibility.
Yep, that is what I have believed and I didn't even see your post before I did mine.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm saying next is likely a waste even if we had Payton.

However, I think there is a strong possibility that Payton doesn't coach next year because the Saints are asking for too much. Next year when he may become more available, (because the asking price will obviously go down) we likely won't be in the running because we hired a different coach.
You could not possibly head into next season with this cesspool. You would destroy any credibility with fans, present and future free agents. Plus players retained would have a year experience with the new staff and system.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose