1923 (Paramount+)

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm in full agreement with everything Stout has posted on this.

Now I know this isn't a History Channel deal, but come on, guys..... you spend a lot of time on getting the big stuff right, but swing and miss on some of the easy stuff. Episode three, in the speakeasy, the kid is shown spending small paper money. Small paper wasn't introduced until 1929. Episode 2, after Spencer takes on the two big cats, he asks for a cigarette and light, A guy produces a Zippo lighter.... that wouldn't be invented until the early 30's. They're fighting a range war in 1923, when the Montana range wars ran from 1870 to 1920. In those 50 years, approximately 54 people were killed, apparently half of them at the end of episode three. There's a few more, but you get my point.

Okay.... I get it. From 1955 to 1965, probably a thousand or so cowboys were killed on Cheyenne, Gunsmoke, Sugarfoot, Maverick, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Bonanza, The Rebel, the Wild Bunch, etc. etc. etc. so I'll let that one go. but the rest of these relatively small screw-ups stack up, and piss me off.

Edit: The odds of a poor Irish sheep herder owning a 50 caliber Thompson machine gun (with 50 round drum, no less) at a cost in today's dollars of around $3200 (not including the ammo) is between slim and none.

I was going to comment with something like, what about the suspension of disbelief? Can't be entertained without out it usually since none of these shows seem to get everything right.

But then I realized that you are a person that clearly knows a lot about history. I know that when we watch shows about my profession, I won't shut up in pointing out to my wife all the errors that are driving me crazy.

So I totally get you. I am able to enjoy this show in part since I don't have the history chops that you do. :) And somehow, I am able to be entertained in spite of all the other criticisms that frequent this forum.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to comment with something like, what about the suspension of disbelief? Can't be entertained without out it usually since none of these shows seem to get everything right.

But then I realized that you are a person that clearly knows a lot about history. I know that when we watch shows about my profession, I won't shut up in pointing out to my wife all the errors that are driving me crazy.

So I totally get you. I am able to enjoy this show in part since I don't have the history chops that you do. :) And somehow, I am able to be entertained in spite of all the other criticisms that frequent this forum.

I'm still watching it, so I'm not going that far over the edge. ;)

It's better than Yellowstone at this point, no question.

And I know I'm being a bit of an old female dog about the details. It's just that there's a stack of 'em, and, well, I just can't seem to shut up under such circumstances. :cheers:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So the Paramount + app almost killed this show off for me. I still maintain the one episode was mostly Hallmark, but, well...

This episode opens up and it's all aftermath, and I'm like "If they're skipping the whole bloodbath and only referring to it afterwards, I am out on this show." Checked a couple of possible problems, and came to find out that the app effed up the ending of the last episode so we only saw the very beginning of the bloodbath. Sheesh!

Better episode. Still had a scene with boobs where I was bored to tears, so that stunk, but mostly it was entertaining. Definitely the worst of all the shows so far, except when the main show went bad, but decent viewing.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What keeps me watching are the Nuns/Priest/Native American scenes. Some 100 million natives were killed in the Americas during the various colonizations, many receiving treatment as bad or worse than on the show. People need to be reminded of this dark-skinned holocaust.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What keeps me watching are the Nuns/Priest/Native American scenes. Some 100 million natives were killed in the Americas during the various colonizations, many receiving treatment as bad or worse than on the show. People need to be reminded of this dark-skinned holocaust.

Hard to watch, but the revenge bits are nice. I am glad they are highlighting this tragedy. As far as I'm concerned, let's give Montana back to its rightful owners.

Stout

Reaction score
Yes. While I certainly wasn't there, one would have to believe that a bunch of rowdy cowhands out on the range together for extended amounts of time, certainly had a colorful vocabulary..
That's what I loved about Deadwood--well, one of the things. The casual mix of high Victorian language and cussing was fun, and historical.

Reaction score
Those that have watched both, how does this show compare to 1883? To me it would be tough to match as I thought 1883 is one of the best series I've watched in a very long time.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those that have watched both, how does this show compare to 1883? To me it would be tough to match as I thought 1883 is one of the best series I've watched in a very long time.

Both are good and I am enjoying 1923, though 1883 a bit more interesting and compelling watching them make their way across the plains and fighting for survival. 1923 has more "civilization", which is corrupt in many ways, and they are fighting for survival of the ranch. Disregard @Stout 's Hallmark comment, for some reason he thinks attacks by wild animals, gunfights, and ambushes are somehow featured on Hallmark. There is some romance between Spencer Dutton while he is in Africa, I am presuming he is going to take his gal back to the Montana ranch and this is the backstory, but that hasn't happened yet.

Reaction score
Both are good and I am enjoying 1923, though 1883 a bit more interesting and compelling watching them make their way across the plains and fighting for survival. 1923 has more "civilization", which is corrupt in many ways, and they are fighting for survival of the ranch. Disregard @Stout 's Hallmark comment, for some reason he thinks attacks by wild animals, gunfights, and ambushes are somehow featured on Hallmark. There is some romance between Spencer Dutton while he is in Africa, I am presuming he is going to take his gal back to the Montana ranch and this is the backstory, but that hasn't happened yet.

I'm familiar with Stout's taste in movies & shows so I always take his comments with a grain of salt. Thanks for the feedback! I started the first episode & didn't realize Isabel May was narrating. I'm definitely in on the series if she's involved. ;)

Stout

Reaction score
That episode has at least 15 minutes of Hallmark episode romance between the African couple and the Montana couple, which you failed to mention. The latter of which included boobs and was boring. Boring. Boobs. Those words should never go together.

I get it. They're trying to draw in a different crowd. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. You liked it--good for you. You can literally fast forward and miss nothing of the plot/story.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That episode has at least 15 minutes of Hallmark episode romance between the African couple and the Montana couple, which you failed to mention. The latter of which included boobs and was boring. Boring. Boobs. Those words should never go together.

I get it. They're trying to draw in a different crowd. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it. You liked it--good for you. You can literally fast forward and miss nothing of the plot/story.
A lot of people watch Hallmark you troglodyte. :)

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You are quite the exaggerator, remind me of some attorneys I deal with

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Uh, Deadwood is one of the best shows of ALL TIME. The writing and acting are incredible. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Episode 4 was good. Enjoyed it.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Really so tragic how these poor Indians were treated due to their race and lifestyle. It is so horrific and sad. Makes you want to weep for them.

Stout

Reaction score
Geeze, I'd almost forgotten about this show, as well as Tulsa king. Really idiotic (read greedy to keep subscriptions) to to something like a month between episodes for no reason whatsoever.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Latest episode was subpar, IMHO, with the exception of the portion about the church/Native Americans. The rest was setup for upcoming episodes.