Cobra Kai (Netflix)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that was end it didn’t feel like it. I’d be disappointed if that was the end.
I would be OK with it. They have pretty much went through all the bad guys. Yes, we don't know what happens to JK but him "doing it his way" would be OK with me. Sounds like the show is coming back though. My guess? JK is going to have a redemption story similar to Jonny. I am predicting it now. JK will eventually come into the fold and they will try and introduce a new bad guy. My problem though is? Not sure anybody will care about a new bad guy that nobody is familiar with. At least for the older fans.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be OK with it. They have pretty much went through all the bad guys. Yes, we don't know what happens to JK but him "doing it his way" would be OK with me. Sounds like the show is coming back though. My guess? JK is going to have a redemption story similar to Jonny. I am predicting it now. JK will eventually come into the fold and they will try and introduce a new bad guy. My problem though is? Not sure anybody will care about a new bad guy that nobody is familiar with. At least for the older fans.
I'm betting the largest demographic of Cobra kai fans have not even seen the original movies, especially all 3.

Even me, I didnt really remember the 2nd/3rd karate kid movies or have a lot of investment in silver from nostalgia and still found the show to be very entertaining.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm betting the largest demographic of Cobra kai fans have not even seen the original movies, especially all 3.

Even me, I didnt really remember the 2nd/3rd karate kid movies or have a lot of investment in silver from nostalgia and still found the show to be very entertaining.
I think it's pretty even both ways. The demographics are almost split. 29 and under = 83K, 30+ = 72K with men. 29 and under 14K and 30+ 12K with women. It's anecdotal but almost all the families we know watching have shown the originals to their kids. That's why I said "older". I think the teens likely care much less about the original characters. It's the parents and they are responsible for half the show's success.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty even both ways. The demographics are almost split. 29 and under = 83K, 30+ = 72K with men. 29 and under 14K and 30+ 12K with women. It's anecdotal but almost all the families we know watching have shown the originals to their kids. That's why I said "older". I think the teens likely care much less about the original characters. It's the parents and they are responsible for half the show's success.
Even that though, how many kids are watching on their parents netflix account? I always question demographic data like this.

I never hear adults talking about Kobra Kai really but I have several teenagers in high school that are obsessed with the show, I see kobra kai all over the school and etc. Then, I play pickup basketball on Tuesdays and a lot of teenagers/early 20s demographic are there and when this season dropped, they were all quoting cobra kai all the time.

LAst week in FL, wearing my cobra kai shirt, its all kids and teenagers that comment on it when they see it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even that though, how many kids are watching on their parents netflix account? I always question demographic data like this.
Depends but there are multiple demographics reports that seem to line up. Netflix has profile accounts and some of the ratings surveys are just not picking up on generic account watches. I filled a couple out in the last couple years and they ask detailed questions about demographics and watching habits. Again, anecdotally most families I know seem to line up with this as well.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends but there are multiple demographics reports that seem to line up. Netflix has profile accounts and some of the ratings surveys are just not picking up on generic account watches. I filled a couple out in the last couple years and they ask detailed questions about demographics and watching habits. Again, anecdotally most families I know seem to line up with this as well.
and 100%, if teenagers and kids are watching this, their parents are probably watching it with them.

Our 15 year old daughter who is the most obsessed with the show binges the show way before we can, but, still joins us to rewatch all the episodes when we get around to it.

It is a great show to watch with family and etc. Love it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
and 100%, if teenagers and kids are watching this, their parents are probably watching it with them.

Our 15 year old daughter who is the most obsessed with the show binges the show way before we can, but, still joins us to rewatch all the episodes when we get around to it.

It is a great show to watch with family and etc. Love it.
You know what is odd and not "normal" about this show? Most critics and even people will tell you it doesn't have the best acting, story or production values. Those same people will say how fun the show is.

I think this is a testament to people just want to be entertained. Sure, it's nice to have all of the above but people really just want to enjoy watching what they are watching. In fact, that has been a huge plus for Netflix. Since it's move? The show is relatively cheap compared to their other programing but is getting great ratings. It's a cash cow for them.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Cancelled. Season 6 will be the last.

Not necessarily.

Maybe it was a mutual decision with Netflix, but according to the creators, they've always wanted to end it on their own terms and are saying that it was their decision to make the next season the last one:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily.

Maybe it was a mutual decision with Netflix, but according to the creators, they've always wanted to end it on their own terms and are saying that it was their decision to make the next season the last one:

Two of the lead actors echoed its likely time because they are too old for their parts. Plus, I doubt a third network picks it up.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Two of the lead actors echoed its likely time because they are too old for their parts. Plus, I doubt a third network picks it up.

Plus most of the major characters' conflicts have been mostly resolved at this point. All that's left is Kreese and possibly Julie from The Next Karate Kid who's an in-canon character. They resolve Kreese and have Hillary Swank cameo or more, finish the World Tournament, and that's a wrap.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still need to watch season 5. I'm glad they're wrapping it up. It's been excellent so far and the age of the actors and the lack of new directions were going to become an issue if they tried continuing things too long.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Not necessarily.

yeah, I had been hearing that S6 was the last planned season for awhile now. Well before S5 even aired. The hope was that that was for the arc with the current kids and they'd do like FNL did and transition to a new set of kids. That was going to be a little tougher to do though since FNL really only had one of the kids tied to the coach unlike Cobra Kai.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No way. I only liked the movies back in the day because society told me to. Just like Back to the Future movies. PASS! :)
You can lead a horse to water...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose