Is Kyler the one?

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
Just watched a news clip re the 8 QBs in the playoffs. All of them are young. That made me ponder whether Kyler is capable of leading the Cardinals to the Promise Land. I feel that most of the Cardinals’ issues over the years rest with the GM doing a terrible job in the draft and the signing of aging vets to fill holes for other broken down vets who can no longer cut the mustard. But, assuming a new GM will do a better job reconstructing the team and that a new coach will provide a better paan every Sunday, I still question whether Kyler is the best QB1 option moving forward. Any thoughts?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can question it all you want. He is going to be here for the next 2 years.

You question will be answered when we see how bad Kyler wants to be that good in this league on the field and not just in his head.

I do believe Kyler needs a very good running game to be good. There are very few qb’s that can get by without one. But simply depending on Kyler to carry this team on his shoulders week after week after week it ain’t happening.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just watched a news clip re the 8 QBs in the playoffs. All of them are young. That made me ponder whether Kyler is capable of leading the Cardinals to the Promise Land. I feel that most of the Cardinals’ issues over the years rest with the GM doing a terrible job in the draft and the signing of aging vets to fill holes for other broken down vets who can no longer cut the mustard. But, assuming a new GM will do a better job reconstructing the team and that a new coach will provide a better paan every Sunday, I still question whether Kyler is the best QB1 option moving forward. Any thoughts?
if we don’t start drafting much better, and we don’t stop bringing in injury prone FA’s, then there is NO QB that can lead us ANYWHERE, let alone the Promised Land. Ok, so now shut this thread down as we’ve beaten this dead horse enough.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Too hard to tell! Statistically, he has what it takes. The main stat is winning percentage and you can’t put all the blame on him.

Like others have said, we are stuck with him cap wise for the next couple of years so let’s do a much better job at building an OL and see what comes of it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Unless something significant changes with Kyler, he is not going to take us to anything other than maybe the first round of the playoffs. At the current salary cap rate increase we just can't afford to the put the roster around him that he needs to get any further. On top of that, Kyler has yet to show the fortitude to win a big game for the Cardinals when it matters.

Do I think any of those factors "could" change? Sure. That said, Kyler is in his mid 20's and lacks self awareness...so the window of him figuring things out is closing at a very rapid pace.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
He isn't giving us what you'd hope for out of the first overall pick that is for sure. Still young, still has a chance to improve but we may have already seen the best out of him at this point.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
The answer right now is a hard no. He needs to grow up from his little man-child phase and really focus on his craft in order to come close to "being the one". Maybe spending more time watching film instead of playing COD, also.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
depends-- seems like everyone is divided on this one. If you just look at the facts Kyler is a bad QB and no where near any of the qb's in the playoffs now.

No leadership qualities, cannot perform basic tasks expected from the position, he is insubordinate and many question his work ethic.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I’m a Kyler fan, but that huge contract was mistake. Getting the Cardinals to blink and give it to him, well good for him. He’s set financially. But when you get that kind of money, the chances of not being skittish when you come back from that kind of injury and being motivated to get back to where he was becomes less. I hope he proves me wrong and that the injury and all the negative talk surrounding him lights a competitive fire and he turns it around. We’ll see. I’m pulling for the kid, but not holding my breath.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I doubt that any of us really know who and what Kyler Murray is. We simply speculate based on interpretations of his expressions and external reactions in extreme situations. Only Kyler knows what Kyler truly wants and what he is willing to do over time to get it. Only Kyler will decide what he becomes. It definitely won't be played out in a few months by our imaginations.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kyler is capable of playing at a very high level, but not consistently. In other words, extremely high ceiling, but very shaky support beams.

As of now, his football judgement is far from rock solid.

All of this is correctable, but there are no guarantees. Getting. pro bowl effectiveness from KM will entail a supreme effort from Kyler and/or his coaches.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I’m feeling pretty critical as well, but since Kyler is here for another couple years, I’m going to focus on the fact that he can be great at times and hope it clicks more often than not. There will be QBs in every draft (more in some than others) and Cards don’t need to draft one this year. I’m also pretty excited about the prospect of getting a dominant pass rusher.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Now that Kingsbury and Keim are gone, Murray is the only one who can prove his detractors wrong and the KK/SK excuse is no more. Time for Murray to either put up or shut up as the old saying goes. Either way, I agree he is here for two more years.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
Now that Kingsbury and Keim are gone, Murray is the only one who can prove his detractors wrong and the KK/SK excuse is no more. Time for Murray to either put up or shut up as the old saying goes. Either way, I agree he is here for two more years.
No, the next regime will be blamed as well. Middling QB at best.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
No, the next regime will be blamed as well. Middling QB at best.
I would hope that Bidwill has finally recognized that the promoting from within has gotten them nowhere. He hired an outside GM and the next test will be who is selected as the next HC. I hope that Bidwill is smart enough to realize that if Murray fails to improve under a new regime, the only constant in this equation is Murray.

I agree that Murray is a mid level QB who needs to be surrounded by a bevy of talent in order to succeed. He is not a franchise QB and frankly I don't think he will ever reach that status. I think what people failed to realize is Murray got by being surrounded by pretty talented groups both in high school and college which allowed him to get by on his athletic abilities alone and not on his quarterbacking prowess.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose