Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Flores doesn't interview with the Cards, it is because the relationship with GM Ossenfort is not mutually positive.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree and its not a very exciting list.

They don't have to be exciting. They just have to be good HC's.

What you really mean is "They aren't offensive geniuses". Fans really need to get away from this idea that it's got to be the next Sean McVay or Andy Reid.

The 3 longest serving and best HC's in the league are BB, Tomlin and Harbaugh.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
maybe all the defensive, focused head coaches mean we are sticking with the offensive staff, and Whipple is going to be the OC

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They don't have to be exciting. They just have to be good HC's.

What you really mean is "They aren't offensive geniuses". Fans really need to get away from this idea that it's got to be the next Sean McVay or Andy Reid.

The 3 longest serving and best HC's in the league are BB, Tomlin and Harbaugh.
First and foremost...the last time one of these three won a Super Bowl without Tom Brady was 2013. So even great HCs can't win anything unless they figure out the QB position.

Your first line is silly. This isn't a great HC group.
Flores - sub 500
Vance - sub 500
Reich is easily the most successful but was just fired.
Ryans - interesting but inexperienced
Evero - interesting but inexperienced. Only one year less as a positional coach as Glenn.
Payton - isn't happening
Glenn - established but DC the same amount of years as Ryans

The list is longer than who should actually be legit options and really only three candidates for me. Reich, Evero and Ryans.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
First and foremost...the last time one of these three won a Super Bowl without Tom Brady was 2013. So even great HCs can't win anything unless they figure out the QB position.

Flores - sub 500
Vance - sub 500
Evero - interesting but inexperienced. Only one year less as a positional coach as Glenn.
Payton - isn't happening

The list is longer than who should actually be legit options and really only three candidates for me. Reich, Evero and Ryans.
He's barely sub 500, 24-25...and that's with only 5 wins his 1st year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Flores - sub 500
Vance - sub 500
Payton - isn't happening

This is a weird take. Apart from it removing all context your favouring guys like Ryans and Evero over Flores who has 24 wins in the league?

Flores was dumped on a garbage roster with Rosen and Fitzmagic at QB having traded away Tunsil, Drake, Minkah, Tannehill and Robert Quinn. With one of the worst O lines in the league and crap at WR. Unsurprisingly they had a losing season. Even in that shower of crap Flores showed what he was made of taking a team that started 7-0 and finishing 5-4.

From week 9 in his first season through to the end of his time at Miami he was 24-18 with very little talent.

In what world is Evero a better option that Flores?

Last edited:

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Whoever we get we need to be confident he can elevate any player he is given. Let us finally be the team that FAs come to and turn into pro bowlers. Everything I've heard about Ryans strikes me as that sort of special unicorn. We need to get this guy and feel each year we stand a chance because he's at the helm.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What Envero was able to do to integrate a ton of young players into a what turned into a very good defense is so impressive to me. Players and front office talk about his communication skills and his setting of expectations and I get very excited.
You'll get Flores or Vance Joseph and deal with it
You must be registered for see images attach

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flores didn't get the same chance to succeed or fail that Kliff did. Also, Flores's teams didn't collapse down the stretch, rather they improved as the season went on.
It also doesn't disprove my point. Records are what they are, good and bad.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Flores - sub 500
Vance - sub 500
Payton - isn't happening

Read my mind.
I like Flores more than either of you (I could live with him), but I think my top three are the same.

Reich is a steady offensive mind and dealt with lots of QB issues, but still coached well. And both Ryans and Evero are incredibly impressive young men with great pedigrees...but I wonder how well they can build offensive staffs which is pretty important.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll say it now so those who don’t understand hindsight means saying something before it happens:

Flores will be a bad choice. Possibly disastrous.

I’m with Chopper and Dvontel on their trio of candidates.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, I'm burnt out on glorified offensive coordinators that have to call all of their own plays and ignore the other side of the ball, which is what Kliff was. Give me a leader of men, someone who knows how to delegate to his staff, and build a team.

The league is heavily tilted towards offense now. The rules especially make that a reality.

I may be way off, but I feel hiring someone with a focus on offense has a better chance of sustained success. Hire a DC as HC, and suddenly who they bring in as OC becomes critically important if the team is going to be successful. If you do manage to find a great OC, he probably won't be here long as other teams will quickly snag him as HC.

The organization seems to be focused though on mainly interviewing those with a resume on defense, so I will be pulling for it to be successful. I will be eagerly watching who gets hired as OC because that may be even more crucial.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is a weird take. Apart from it removing all context your favouring guys like Ryans and Evero over lores who has 24 wins in the league?

Flores was dumped on a garbage roster with Rosen and Fitzmagic at QB having traded away Tunsil, Drake, Minkah, Tannehill and Robert Quinn. With one of the worst O lines in the league and crap at WR. Unsurprisingly they had a losing season. Even in that shower of crap Flores showed what he was made of taking a team that started 7-0 and finishing 5-4.

From week 9 in his first season through to the end of his time at Miami he was 24-18 with very little talent.

In what world is Evero a better option that Flores?
What is the argument for Flores that doesn't make excuses for him? He got three years, never took his team to the playoffs and had a losing record as a whole. So what if he was handed a poor roster, he will get a poor roster here as well. He couldn't figure out Tua, why do we think he can figure out Kyler?