Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Monti would need some huge brass balls.
It would be a big swing no doubt. I don't know that it is the best path forward. A lot of it comes down to what Bidwill and Monti think of Kyler two years from now and because we have the 3rd pick in the draft. If Monti and Bidwill are good shipping Kyler in two years then there is an argument that they will be in year 3 trying to find a QB and may not be in a better place to get one than they are right now picking 3rd.

Some of this will become clear once the HC is hired. If they go with a defensive background option, Kyler improving is pretty much all on Kyler unless the HC has a great network of position coaches to pull from.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Random thought - how the hell does Monti go about dealing with all of our pending free agents when he wasn't around all year watching their impact week to week? Do you guys think he sits down and watches every Cards game from the last couple of seasons? Gotta be a real challenge to step into the role from the outside. Zero connection with anyone here.
He can just watch Hard Knocks, :biglaugh:

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good one. I also like that he said finding players that fit what the coaches want to do - physically and mentally.

Feels like Keim was just drafting players. No way was he drafting players that fit into VJ's D/scheme.
This makes a ton of sense.

Keim would always say (roughly), 'you never know what your needs will be in November', so his strategy was BPA.

But it has to fit some plan. Taking Peyton Manning as BPA and planning to use him like Justin Fields would be insane. Yet it seems, to a lesser degree of idiocy, what Keim was doing.

You see McBride taken in the 2nd rd, when Kliff doesn't use TE's very much.
You see LB after LB taken in the 1st round.
Taking Kirk and playing him way too much outside.
You see guys being played out of position, only to maybe finally go back to where they should have been in year 1, excelling, and then leaving.

We've seen how little stock he put at premium positions high in the draft.

We seemed to always try to take guys and convert them into something else, and often paid a premium draft slot to do so.

It may seem like a low bar and SOP with other teams, but aligning scouts, coaches, and techniques, with how coaches want to run the team will be a welcome change from the chaos of the Keim regime.

Ossenfort, if he is what he says he is,(and we're interpreting it correctly)will be the opposite of that. Thank God.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This makes a ton of sense.

Keim would always say (roughly), 'you never know what your needs will be in November', so his strategy was BPA.

But it has to fit some plan. Taking Peyton Manning as BPA and planning to use him like Justin Fields would be insane. Yet it seems, to a lesser degree of idiocy, what Keim was doing.

You see McBride taken in the 2nd rd, when Kliff doesn't use TE's very much.
You see LB after LB taken in the 1st round.
Taking Kirk and playing him way too much outside.
You see guys being played out of position, only to maybe finally go back to where they should have been in year 1, excelling, and then leaving.

We've seen how little stock he put at premium positions high in the draft.

We seemed to always try to take guys and convert them into something else, and often paid a premium draft slot to do so.

It may seem like a low bar and SOP with other teams, but aligning scouts, coaches, and techniques, with how coaches want to run the team will be a welcome change from the chaos of the Keim regime.

Ossenfort, if he is what he says he is,(and we're interpreting it correctly)will be the opposite of that. Thank God.
No team truly drafts BPA. The real strategy is BPA at a position of needs. Why draft another LT when you have a great starting LT, a good starting RT, and a competent swing backup?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether you believe in Kyler or not, we’ve seen very good and we’ve seen not so good.
Bidwill is not going to eat Murray’s contract. He is investing that a new regime can make Kyler even better than his best.
It’s going to take an improved o-line performance, a big play threat at RB and a “ thick” Wr. One that can punish a CB.
A new coaching staff that steers this offense away from the cotton candy style we’ve witnessed to a more pro style should automatically make Kyler better.
The rest is on Kyler.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Posted it on another thread but they have to draft a QB in the first few rounds. It’s the patriot way and we need someone better than Colt to say art for maybe a half of season. If they play well, you have options for a trade.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know we should keep doing things the way they have been right. Lol

I love my son, but I’m tired of watching him winning more than my pro team.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Random thought - how the hell does Monti go about dealing with all of our pending free agents when he wasn't around all year watching their impact week to week? Do you guys think he sits down and watches every Cards game from the last couple of seasons? Gotta be a real challenge to step into the role from the outside. Zero connection with anyone here.
Thankfully he can probably skip 95% of the last few games as we had plenty of guys on the field who don't need to make the roster. I don't think he needs to dive into breaking down McSorely and Blough's throwing mechanics. No need to watch a full day's tape on Robbie Anderson and Andre Baccellia.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You only lose one year, 2023. It is just that your cap decreases by like 50 mil for 2023.
If they want to take the whole hit in 2023, there's $96.5M in dead money and the available cap decreases by $80.5M. Even with nothing but minimum-salary signings, could they even field a team with that kind of hit?!

Furthermore... Murray is currently injured. I believe waiving an injured player requires paying most or all of his remaining contract... which would then hit the cap immediately.

I bristle a little when people say it isn't an option, because it is.
I really don't think it is. No sense bristling about it.

...dave

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they want to take the whole hit in 2023, there's $96.5M in dead money and the available cap decreases by $80.5M. Even with nothing but minimum-salary signings, could they even field a team with that kind of hit?!

Furthermore... Murray is currently injured. I believe waiving an injured player requires paying most or all of his remaining contract... which would then hit the cap immediately.

I really don't think it is. No need to bristle about it.

...dave
Oh yeah there is. You should bristle. A LOT.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Monti is not the first choice. Hahahahaha...hahahahahahaha....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
As I said above, I don't think there's anything special about this QB class
After 3 years, I'm less sure than ever that Kyler will ever live up to the hype. If it's just going to be more of grumpy cat moving forward, maybe radical change is needed.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I really don't think it is. No sense bristling about it.

...dave
You are looking at the impact of cutting Kyler Murray which we wouldn't do. If you trade Kyler all of his pro-rated bonuses apply in 2023 which moves his cap hit from 16mil to 59mil with no additional impact moving forward.

I appreciate your question but in this case, I do know what I am talking about. If there are specific trigger dates in 2023 that convert future dollars to guaranteed dollars, those dates would need to be navigated of course.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Monti is not the first choice. Hahahahaha...hahahahahahaha....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
If true... But that slipper sure fits.

To stay with the Bears. Ouch.

If he was sure he'd get something else ...:moon:
He looks stupid now.

:moon:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good lord. Let’s just start digging the grave for Monti Ossenfort.
What the hell has Cunningham done to have any of us say WE LOST OUT? Very few here even knew either one of these guys.
I will share my opinion on all MO’s signing, deals and draft as I’m sure all of us will. But even if he doesn’t do everything I think he should do, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I’m not expecting 10 wins and a playoff. This is going to be a rough year and I don’t believe anything MO does will provide us with more than hope for the future. New system. A roster that is somewhat depleted especially in the trenches and Qb issues.
To say Cunningham was our first choice and he went somewhere else make this a failure is silly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose