Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Random thought - how the hell does Monti go about dealing with all of our pending free agents when he wasn't around all year watching their impact week to week? Do you guys think he sits down and watches every Cards game from the last couple of seasons? Gotta be a real challenge to step into the role from the outside. Zero connection with anyone here.
In this case zero connection might be a good thing based on the crap we saw this year

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's just funny. I am not going to pretend like I know if this is a good hire or not until I see who he hires as an HC.

7 of 8 HCs in the divisional round come from offensive backgrounds.

We have a QB on a huge contract who needs someone to help him.

If you go after a defensive guy, you are going against NFL trends.

Belichick and Tomlin are HOF coaches who did not make the playoffs. A lot of dudes not nearly as good made it.

Offense is harder to find laying on the street than defense.

If this guy brings in Flores or Vance...good luck with that. Neither of those guys have shown they have any clue how to bring together a good offensive staff.

I mean, it's a bit disingenuous to use Tomlin and BB this year when for 15-20 years both of them have been the 2 best HC's in the league, generally dominated the league and been in the playoffs practically every year.

If the choice is a Zac Taylor or a Mike Tomlin I'm choosing the later.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Random thought - how the hell does Monti go about dealing with all of our pending free agents when he wasn't around all year watching their impact week to week? Do you guys think he sits down and watches every Cards game from the last couple of seasons? Gotta be a real challenge to step into the role from the outside. Zero connection with anyone here.

He has all the staff there. Pro personnel guys, cap managers etc. They would have been planning for this offseason for a while and will have a bunch of info already in place for Monti to absorb.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing that comes to mind is that if you hire a Demeco Ryans and like three QBs at the top of this draft, you have to consider stripping this thing down to the studs and moving forward with one of them. I am not saying it is the best route, but the path forward is MUCH easier with a QB on a rookie deal than a underperforming one on a bad deal.
But the Cardinals CAN'T just go forward with a QB on a rookie deal... they'd have to eat the cost of the bad deal, too. So there's no benefit to drafting a QB at the top of the draft... they're pretty much stuck trying to make the best of Murray for at least a couple of years.

...dave

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
B in-law gave me a little insight on Monti. Kind of mixed reviews overall.

Likes the NE pedigree and has always gotten along with him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Just watched the interview. One thing I didn't like was how it's going to be a "collaborative effort" and with Mike. Tells me Mike is still going to be very hands on and that's not a good thing.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7 of 8 HCs in the divisional round come from offensive backgrounds.

We have a QB on a huge contract who needs someone to help him.

If you go after a defensive guy, you are going against NFL trends.

Belichick and Tomlin are HOF coaches who did not make the playoffs. A lot of dudes not nearly as good made it.

Offense is harder to find laying on the street than defense.
I'm kinda hoping for an HC with an offensive background... but another way of looking at the fact that most of the recent HC hires have had offensive backgrounds, is that looking for the next great offensive coach would be scraping the bottom of that barrel, whereas there are more than the usual number of qualified defensive coaches available.

I'm not sure how much time a HC has to spend tutoring a QB anyway. I suspect the OC and QB Coach hires are much more critical do Murray's development than the HC's background.

...dave

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just watched the interview. One thing I didn't like was how it's going to be a "collaborative effort" and with Mike. Tells me Mike is still going to be very hands on and that's not a good thing.
That is the same for all NFL teams that have long time family owners like the Bidwill's, Rooney, Mara, Jerry Jones, Spanos, etc. Some are worse than others. The NFL has made them billionaires. They all belong to the rich boys club. No one complains when their teams are winning.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Eh, that can be a sop and he might become adept at saying, "Sure, Mikey, I welcome your input," before doing what needs to be done regardless of Mikey's input.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That is the same for all NFL teams that have long time family owners like the Bidwill's, Rooney, Mara, Jerry Jones, Spanos, etc. Some are worse than others. The NFL has made them billionaires. They all belong to the rich boys club. No one complains when their teams are winning.
Hilarious you’re putting the Rooneys and Maras in the same sentence with Jerry Jones, Spanos, and Michael. Michael would be thrilled.

The Steelers and Giants are two organizations where football people are 100% in charge and ownership only becomes involved when things are truly bleak for an extended period.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mean, it's a bit disingenuous to use Tomlin and BB this year when for 15-20 years both of them have been the 2 best HC's in the league, generally dominated the league and been in the playoffs practically every year.

Zac Taylor looks pretty damn good with Joe Burrow as his QB.

Could you imagine how good the Steelers would be with Burrow?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Hilarious you’re putting the Rooneys and Maras in the same sentence with Jerry Jones, Spanos, and Michael. Michael would be thrilled.

The Steelers and Giants are two organizations where football people are 100% in charge and ownership only becomes involved when things are truly bleak for an extended period.
The Rooneys and Maras have a remarkable ability to identify good football people and then let the actual football people make decisions. Throw the Krafts into that equation too.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mike Tomlin is an elite floor raiser & as great as him never having a losing season, I feel like 3 playoff wins in the past the 12 years would wear thin for an organization like the Steelers.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zac Taylor looks pretty damn good with Joe Burrow as his QB.

Could you imagine how good the Steelers would be with Burrow?

Funny that. It's almost as if having a good QB that does what is required is crucial to a teams success.

Zac Taylor was a hair's breadth away from geting fired. He's not a great HC. He's not particularly a good offensive mind. He's basically slightly better Kliff with a good QB and 3 great WR's.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Zac Taylor would have been in Thailand before Kliff, if not for Joe Burrow. They were ready to run him out of town at the beginning of 2021 season, then Burrow gets hot and they go to Super Bowl.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Well how else are we going to tell if a draftee is lying or not?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Zac Taylor would have been in Thailand before Kliff, if not for Joe Burrow. They were ready to run him out of town at the beginning of 2021 season, then Burrow gets hot and they go to Super Bowl.
So true. Joe Burrow is that QB who can even erase the stench of a Zac Taylor.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The Rooneys and Maras have a remarkable ability to identify good football people and then let the actual football people make decisions. Throw the Krafts into that equation too.
I dunno. Bob Kraft’s son is the effective GM in New England, and there’s been front office drama since the year Jimmy G was traded, basically.

That said, the past 25 years there has been basically unprecedented.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every owner is going to have some hand in the process. He will be presented the head coach that MO wants. If Bidwill is stupid to say no, I want Vance Joseph well then he’s an idiot.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Michael Bidwill is such a rube. "I was very impressed when he said, 'Every decision we make will be based on whether it helps the Arizona Cardinals win games.' I was right there with that."

Really make you wonder how in-depth these GM interviews are or whether it's vibes-based. Crazy.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Michael Bidwill is such a rube. "I was very impressed when he said, 'Every decision we make will be based on whether it helps the Arizona Cardinals win games.' I was right there with that."

Really make you wonder how in-depth these GM interviews are or whether it's vibes-based. Crazy.
Are you questioning a formal federal prosecutor's acumen?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's the Bidwill way. And yes, it's not a good thing. But, that's never going to change. Michael wouldn't know what to do with himself if he wasn't a hands on owner. Be thankful. His father was the GM for 20 years:shock::bang:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

His strategy is to win games...so crazy it might work!

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Caught that as well.

That's not something you highlight, that's already implied. What a weird thing to be excited about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave