Cardinals Hire Titans' Monti Ossenfort as New GM

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kind of agree Payton would almost certainly want input in the GM hire so unless he's endorsed this already, it probably means he's not coming here

I don't agree. I'm not sure where this is coming from but it's not Payton.

He simply said he wants a GM he gets on with and can work well together. Loomis is not a pocket GM and was there before Payton. Nobody has ever said "Saints draft success is down to Payton. Loomis is just a puppet".

Payton just wants a guy he can work with collaboratively. Which is how most good HC/GM relationships are.

It was one of the issues with Kliff and Keim. Keim gave Kliff some of the worst run blocking wide receivers in the league when Kliff's offense relies on a lot of behind the LOS stuff.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This one weird NFL writer guy thinks Cards are out of Sean Payton stakes..

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He basically said "They should have left GM open, but all these other teams that also have GM's in place are still in the race". Nonsense.

But he's a Niners beat writer so seems like cope.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Makes me think this has been quietly in the works for some time. We did travel across the country to practice with the titans last off season. The yr before that SK was bar hopping in Nashville. I can see several scenarios that led to this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So basically you just do t like the team history he has gotcha.
To your own point, Shane, when talking a guy as a talent evaluator what else do you really have but the personnel of his prior teams to judge him? We aren’t privy to much more than that. I suppose the big positives of this hire are:

Not coming from inside the organization
Coming from two good organizations
Coming from two organizations that do a good job of building both sides of the trenches.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Pretty easy to attract all your priority UDFA's when you're the Pats though. Easier to coach them up too when you have the best coaches.

I wonder if anyone ever said to the Pats "Thanks for the interest but I'm going to sign with the Texans".

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
Can someone help me understand why the cardinals take the risk of hiring a GM with no GM experience? It seems there is really no way to know if he is good at the GM job. Thus, everything about his future performance is just speculation. It seems that the cardinals risk falling into the "Peter Principle" constantly. They hired Kingsbury and SK with no NFL experience in their positions. Is there a reason they don't look for the top GMs in the NFL and hire the best one they can get?

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Can someone help me understand why the cardinals take the risk of hiring a GM with no GM experience? It seems there is really no way to know if he is good at the GM job. Thus, everything about his future performance is just speculation. It seems that the cardinals risk falling into the "Peter Principle" constantly. They hired Kingsbury and SK with no NFL experience in their positions. Is there a reason they don't look for the top GMs in the NFL and hire the best one they can get?
Perhaps the "top GMs" simply say "No thanks."?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Because that's all the Cardinals can get. We are a bottom 3-5 franchise.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I for one am going to give the guy a chance before passing judgement. He seems to have solid credentials and comes from a good background. He is not an inside hire and for now that is good enough for me. I see it as the beginning of a fresh start and not the same old same old we have lived with for years.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a Cardinals thing to do? I mean, is this really a shocker considering we just finished a stint with a head coach with no NFL coordinating or HC experience?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few decades ago the Cardinals did a decent job at bringing in UDFAs and having them stick. Guys like Marcel Shipp, Lyle Sendlein, Reggie Walker, Tony Jefferson, Chandler Catanzaro and the great Max Hall. However as the team started to improve the depth of the roster those UDFA had a harder time finding a home on the team.

In 2023 I expect to see several UDFA make the team. With the Cardinals currently only holding 5 draft picks in the 2023 draft and having so many holes to fill they will need to use UDFAs to fill out the bottom of their roster.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A few decades ago the Cardinals did a decent job at bringing in UDFAs and having them stick. Guys like Marcel Shipp, Lyle Sendlein, Reggie Walker, Tony Jefferson, Chandler Catanzaro and the great Max Hall. However as the team started to improve the depth of the roster those UDFA had a harder time finding a home on the team.

In 2023 I expect to see several UDFA make the team. With the Cardinals currently only holding 5 draft picks in the 2023 draft and having so many holes to fill they will need to use UDFAs to fill out the bottom of their roster.

I like Manny Jones they signed last year. He looked good in pre season. I was disappointed they didn;t give him more snaps towards the end of the season. He had 60 over the last 4 games but there was a chance to give him more.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pretty easy to attract all your priority UDFA's when you're the Pats though. Easier to coach them up too when you have the best coaches.

I wonder if anyone ever said to the Pats "Thanks for the interest but I'm going to sign with the Texans".
The counter to that is, Thank you, coach. Im going to sign with the Texans because your team is too deep, and Im going to have a better chance to play, and put stuff on tape over there.

I dont know. Just playing devils advocate...

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To your own point, Shane, when talking a guy as a talent evaluator what else do you really have but the personnel of his prior teams to judge him?
Team culture, organization, professionalism... all of which are hallmarks of the Patriots and Titans front offices.

You can also judge a candidate on whether or not he has a record of multiple convictions for DUI!

...dave

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

The Cardinals once were good at finding UDFAs.

No mention of Kwamie Lassiter? :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Most GM hires are of people who have no experience.

The guys who have experience aren't employed for a reason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose