Last of Us (HBO Max)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a little bored in the second half of the pilot.
I can see that. However, I see things they are setting up from the game. My only issue so far is the casting of Ellie. Bella Ramsey IMO wasn't a good casting choice when comparing her to the game character she is playing (Ellie). It might be on par for me with the casting of Luis Guzmán in Wednesday for me. She is playing a character, but it isn't Ellie.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see that. However, I see things they are setting up from the game. My only issue so far is the casting of Ellie. Bella Ramsey IMO wasn't a good casting choice when comparing her to the game character she is playing (Ellie). It might be on par for me with the casting of Luis Guzmán in Wednesday for me. She is playing a character, but it isn't Ellie.
Interesting. Thinking back, the intro to her character is right around the time the pilot started drifting for me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thinking back, the intro to her character is right around the time the pilot started drifting for me.
Her character is a bit complex in the game, but this seems to be more simplistic. In the series they are making slight reference to the character but in the game the character is really naive because her view of the outside world was formed by comic books, music and pop culture. Things that are no longer around. The survivor aspect of the character is there but the rest? They sort of made reference, but this character seems rougher around the edges and definitely not as naive. Ellie also is somewhat an eternal optimist about the world. Maybe that is coming but I didn't get the other parts of her persona at all in the pilot other than vague references.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Maybe it's an advantage for me that I have never played the game and know nothing about it.

My wife also doesn't know the game, but my son knows about it from watching videos about. Son has never played it, either.

We all enjoyed the show.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The show is fantastic. I came in with some high expectations as The Last of Us is my favorite video game of all time. It didn't disappoint.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Pretty solid pilot. Slow, but in a good slow burn way. A little too time jumpey, and one bad error with the "baddies," but I can overlook it. Love seeing Anna Torv again! And, as I don't know the game or didn't read up on this, I had a few nice plot twists to discover.

So IDGAF what kind of mushroom is controlling you, it is limited by the body it's in. I thought they did a good job with that with the guy chasing them through the restaurant, falling down and knocking its host all over the place, but the crippled grandmother was beyond dumb. Yeah, sure, she can suddenly have more twitch than an NFL middle linebacker. Suuure lol

Glad that eye roller didn't stop me, because I did enjoy the pilot. I hope all of them aren't the same, though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty solid pilot. Slow, but in a good slow burn way. A little too time jumpey, and one bad error with the "baddies," but I can overlook it. Love seeing Anna Torv again! And, as I don't know the game or didn't read up on this, I had a few nice plot twists to discover.

So IDGAF what kind of mushroom is controlling you, it is limited by the body it's in. I thought they did a good job with that with the guy chasing them through the restaurant, falling down and knocking its host all over the place, but the crippled grandmother was beyond dumb. Yeah, sure, she can suddenly have more twitch than an NFL middle linebacker. Suuure lol

Glad that eye roller didn't stop me, because I did enjoy the pilot. I hope all of them aren't the same, though.
Sort of agree but I can get past that because....

we don't know if she was limited by pain which many people are. If she feels no pain? she could do more. Plus, the organism doesn't care what shape the body is in. Similar to the Walking Dead, the virus doesn't care if it keeps the zombies moving until the body falls apart and can't take anymore.

Stout

Reaction score
Sort of agree but I can get past that because....

In no way, shape or form would little old lady have the twitch of an NFL linebacker, pain or no pain, even with the body producing adrenaline. It doesn't matter if the organism doesn't care what shape the body is in. Physics does. This kind of manipulation wouldn't be physically possible.

But, again, with the quality of the pilot, this can be written off as suspension of disbelief.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just a reminder NO human zombie in any media form could actually exist no matter how "scientific" they get. No vampires, werewolves, witches, demons, or anything and everything of that nature included. The days of Night of the Living Snails are also long gone.

If that's not your thing, great. If it is, is there really a point nit-picking how it comes about and how it works? Seems silly, but it is a free country.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a reminder NO human zombie in any media form could actually exist no matter how "scientific" they get. No vampires, werewolves, witches, demons, or anything and everything of that nature included. The days of Night of the Living Snails are also long gone.

If that's not your thing, great. If it is, is there really a point nit-picking how it comes about and how it works? Seems silly, but it is a free country.
Yes - the whole premise of any of these stories (Walking Dead, etc) involves the suspension of reality, as no matter what virus/fungus/bacteria scientific explanation they concoct, they are all physically and biologically impossible to happen.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In no way, shape or form would little old lady have the twitch of an NFL linebacker, pain or no pain, even with the body producing adrenaline. It doesn't matter if the organism doesn't care what shape the body is in. Physics does. This kind of manipulation wouldn't be physically possible.

But, again, with the quality of the pilot, this can be written off as suspension of disbelief.
This isn't the first zombie or alien type show that gives the "host" added strength or abilities. Honestly, this lines up with all of them. In fact, in the video game you will see that it causes mutations. When you get to that part you won't be thinking this any longer. Sorry if that spoils anything. This simply isn't a fungus controls you scenario.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score

Watch this from around 3:47:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

L'ergot (a fungus) poisoning caused up to 50 people to be committed to an insane asylum. One guy thought he was a plane and jumped from a second story window and a kid tried to strangle his mother among some of the examples.

The fungus was spread by tainted bread.

Last edited:

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Watch this from around 3:47:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

L'ergot (a fungus) poisoning caused up to 50 people to be committed to an insane asylum. One guy thought he was a plane and jumped from a second story window and an a kid tried to strangle his mother among some of the examples.

The fungus was spread by tainted bread.

There are definitely f'ed up things with certain viruses/fungi, etc (prions being the WORST), but in regards to monsters portrayed in media, it's still a stretch of any real world implications of any apocalyptic level in likes of any "zombie" universe. Obviously undead is the worst offender as 100% impossible. RE games don't always have undead, 28 days later was a "rage" virus, etc.

Stout

Reaction score

Yes, that is lazy logic. "None of it ever makes sense so it's cool it doesn't make sense" makes...well, you get the point lol

As I said, it was the only thing I didn't like and I clearly moved past it and have only had posters insist on nebbing and arguing. Yinz want to keep the argument going, cool, I'll keep arguing. Otherwise can we go back to agreeing it's a good show?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The show is fantastic. I came in with some high expectations as The Last of Us is my favorite video game of all time. It didn't disappoint.
Not my favorite of all time, but definitely near the top. Great game with a great story and very difficult.

I'll watch the show tonight.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, that is lazy logic. "None of it ever makes sense so it's cool it doesn't make sense" makes...well, you get the point lol

As I said, it was the only thing I didn't like and I clearly moved past it and have only had posters insist on nebbing and arguing. Yinz want to keep the argument going, cool, I'll keep arguing. Otherwise can we go back to agreeing it's a good show?

Lazy logic? But what about the physics of zombies you are so keen about doesn't sell it for you enough to suspend belief?

It seemed like it needed to be said given your take. Perhaps others share the same view. Is this your first zombie experience? Or is this something you bring up every single time? Makes sense if the latter, if not, that's why my public announcement was very much needed.

Hoping it's a message for those to step back and just enjoy. Thinking about the complexities of zombie physics is truly a waste of time and is based in absolutely no logic :)

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
Lazy logic? But what about the physics of zombies you are so keen about doesn't sell it for you enough to suspend belief?

It seemed like it needed to be said given your take. And since you replied, it seems you haven't really moved on. Is this your first zombie experience? Or is this something you bring up every single time? Makes sense if the latter, if not, that's why my public announcement was very much needed.

Hoping it's a way to step back and just enjoy. Thinking about the complexities of zombie physics not needed.
lol Your "public announcement was very much needed?" Narcissist much? And the (lazy attempt at) condescension is the icing on the cake.

Since you insist on the "you're not allowed to dislike one little thing even when loving the show" take, here ya go:

They make a very big point of utilizing the science of this fungi and how it overtakes the host and uses the host's abilities, driving it past the point of endurance and eating it from the inside. So, when the science doesn't add up, I comment. They very clearly, in that moment, simply thought it would be cool for an old woman to be superhuman quick. Oh well, lazy writing moment. I noted it and moved on and dug the show.

Seems the board police cannot have anyone make any criticism ever. Says more about me than you, to be fair. "Oh God, Stout didn't think a property was 100 percent perfect, I must speak down to him?" Let me add histrionic to the list ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose