Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chargers fans calling for Payton and hating on Lombardi don't seem to realise this is Payton's offense. Lombardi worked with Payton for 10 years.

And if Payton took over he would likely keep Lombardi.

Its something we need to realise too. Payton offense is not hugely dissimilar to Kliff. It's foundation is a lot of quick short passes.

What do you think when you think Michael Thomas? It ain't deep bombs and explosive plays.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Tom Telesco is the GM for the Chargers. He's done a pretty good job. They'd have to fire him as well because Payton isn't going anywhere where he doesn't alot of input into personnel.
We don't know what the relationship is between Telesco and the owners. Plus, Spanos is notoriously cheap. Doubt he ponies up to get Payton.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Tom Telesco is the GM for the Chargers. He's done a pretty good job. They'd have to fire him as well because Payton isn't going anywhere where he doesn't alot of input into personnel.
We don't know what the relationship is between Telesco and the owners. Plus, Spanos is notoriously cheap. Doubt he ponies up to get Payton.
Telesco has two playoff wins since he got hired in 2013.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chargers fans calling for Payton and hating on Lombardi don't seem to realise this is Payton's offense. Lombardi worked with Payton for 10 years.

Its something we need to realise too. Payton offense is not hugely dissimilar to Kliff. It's foundation is a lot of quick short passes.

What do you think when you think Michael Thomas? It ain't deep bombs and explosive plays.

I would add that Payton has many under-centre 'play action' calls and a method that requires a dynamic back in the run game.

If he signs on, I would bet that a running back ala Kamera is on his list of critical add-ons.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would add that Payton has many under-centre 'play action' calls and a method that requires a dynamic back in the run game.

If he signs on, I would bet that a running back ala Kamera is on his list of critical add-ons.
And when he had a younger Drew Brees that offense was bombs away.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It's a pretty great deal for the Chargers. They pay next to no rent.
They pay $1, but seat licenses and a huge chunk of revenue all goes to Kroenke. It was dumb of Dean to not have the real estate. Owning the stadium is what helps Bidwill have more value. Spanos spent $500 million to relocate the team, as the fee....it will take approx 20 years to earn $600 million from their portion of stadium revenue. He basically has the same TV revenue that the other owners have. They have a crappy fan base in LA (Rams do to, they should have come back to Orange County, but that's another story)...Rams are pissed because Chargers make little effort to sell seat licenses l, so it's not a good landlord/tenant relationship.

Chargers try to operate with champagne dreams, but they are on a beer budget.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Payton’s play calling forces teams to defend the whole field. His play calling dictates to the defense what they need to do.
That allows the deep shots with all come after an established ground game and play action.
An offense also needs a game breaking rb. It opens the field. Connor is very hard tough rb but he doesn’t strike fear into any defense.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

AMEN! Watching Purdy yesterday I thought the same thing!

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
No idiot would choose to coach us over the chargers. They are in a much better position roster/salary cap wise than us.
Plus a cooperative QB. However, the Chargers are not sure they want to change at that price. Coaches learn and improve. How does he fit internally.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They pay $1, but seat licenses and a huge chunk of revenue all goes to Kroenke. It was dumb of Dean to not have the real estate. Owning the stadium is what helps Bidwill have more value. Spanos spent $500 million to relocate the team, as the fee....it will take approx 20 years to earn $600 million from their portion of stadium revenue. He basically has the same TV revenue that the other owners have. They have a crappy fan base in LA (Rams do to, they should have come back to Orange County, but that's another story)...Rams are pissed because Chargers make little effort to sell seat licenses l, so it's not a good landlord/tenant relationship.

Chargers try to operate with champagne dreams, but they are on a beer budget.
Yeah but they are leveraging virtually none of their own money other than relocation fees and they do get gate revenue, ad revenue, etc.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Yeah but they are leveraging virtually none of their own money other than relocation fees and they do get gate revenue, ad revenue, etc.
I get that, but they don't have wealth that other owners have, to leverage things like 5 year contract buyouts. They have to operate frugally. Other owners may be cheap, just because they are cheap....Spanos pretty much has to be cheap.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
SI’s Harbaugh on Flores, “Of the people interviewing for the job, this has to be the worst possible choice if we are being honest. Flores is a great defensive coach but look at what we saw from Miami as soon as he left. The reports of what Flores had said and done to mentally beat down Tua Tagovailoa should scare the hell out of you if you are a fan of Murray.“

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SI’s Harbaugh on Flores, “Of the people interviewing for the job, this has to be the worst possible choice if we are being honest. Flores is a great defensive coach but look at what we saw from Miami as soon as he left. The reports of what Flores had said and done to mentally beat down Tua Tagovailoa should scare the hell out of you if you are a fan of Murray.“
While I dont want Flores (or at least he's not my top choice). His personality isnt the problem. Its who he hires as OC.

I dont know where this notion that Kyler doesnt like strong coaches. The reason Vance is even discussed as an option because he responds to him.

People underestimate just how difficult and tough his father is.

Kyler's more likely to not take serious "nice" guys.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
While I dont want Flores (or at least he's not my top choice). His personality isnt the problem. Its who he hires as OC.

I dont know where this notion that Kyler doesnt like strong coaches. The reason Vance is even discussed as an option because he responds to him.

People underestimate just how difficult and tough his father is.
Im a Flores fan, but I will admit his offensive staff choices are paramount. If he comes in and hires a hotshot OC and QB coach, sign me up.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Then why would we be interviewing him?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave