POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's over. Sorry for my optimism.

You must be registered for see images attach
I think you’re underestimating how badly Keim butchered this roster. I don’t think we would be competitive until 2025 at the earliest even with Payton & maybe not SB competitive until 2026.

But I never thought we was getting him anyway.

Bring on Steichen, Johnson, & Ryans all down!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think you’re underestimating how badly Keim butchered this roster. I don’t think we would be competitive until 2025 at the earliest even with Payton & maybe not SB competitive until 2026.

Honestly, I thought it was going to be a long road to competition anyways. I don't see any of those three coming here now.

We're screwed.

@BritCard's gonna be our HC.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, I thought it was going to be a long road to competition anyways. I don't see any of those three coming here now.

We're screwed.

@BritCard's gonna be our HC.
I don’t think we’re screwed.

We’re years away from competing dude. Even with Payton. Keim horrendously created this roster to put us in that situation.

This roster has needed a long-needed moderate-rebuild since 2018.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t think we’re screwed.

We’re years away from competing dude. Even with Payton. Keim horrendously created this roster to put us in that situation.

This roster has needed a long-needed moderate-rebuild since 2018.
We wasted Kyler’s entire rookie contract and all we got was an embarrassing playoff exit after another late-year collapse. Sad!

Michael thinks this team isn’t that broken. It’s going to be hard to find a credible GM who agrees with him.

Wilson/Joseph 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Payton to the Chargers is settled. I'm not 100% the Chargers fire Staley. I can see them firing Lombardi and keeping Staley.

But even if they do I'm not convinced Payton wants to be in the AFC West. And if he does, we'll he's not the only coach that can do a good job here.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We wasted Kyler’s entire rookie contract and all we got was an embarrassing playoff exit after another late-year collapse. Sad!

Michael thinks this team isn’t that broken. It’s going to be hard to find a credible GM who agrees with him.

Wilson/Joseph 2023
Wasted his rookie contract and extended him prematurely.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope we get Payton but if not so what, life will go on. Just get a quality GM & HC and start the rebuild process keeping all of our draft picks and perhaps trading Hopkins for some more. I just hope we go out of house for a GM & HC.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I hope we get Payton but if not so what, life will go on. Just get a quality GM & HC and start the rebuild process keeping all of our draft picks and perhaps trading Hopkins for some more. I just hope we go out of house for a GM & HC.

its funny how the way a team loses can influence things:

had Jags / Chargers been a back and forth affair where the last team with the ball won.... as a Chargers owner/fan, you could probably could live with last night.

but to blow a 27 pt lead? That will haunt you.

so i have resigned myself to Payton going to LA.

now the most important thing is getting the best outside GM possible ---

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think Payton to the Chargers is settled. I'm not 100% the Chargers fire Staley. I can see them firing Lombardi and keeping Staley.

But even if they do I'm not convinced Payton wants to be in the AFC West. And if he does, we'll he's not the only coach that can do a good job here.
My only hope is that he really doesnt want to deal with Mahomes/Reid for 5 to 10 years.

There's some great coaches in the NFC West, but Stafford appears on his way out in a year or two.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Really down today about this all... without any evidence I feel Payton slipping away :sad:

Although for us to stand a chance I think Mike has to open the cheque book for his staff also. Clearly Payton will know what and who he wants around him... give him everything he asks for. I get the sense that is what he wants from listening to his interviews etc.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet Payton already knows where he's going, with one caveat. If the Cowboys lose Monday night, McCarthy is probably out and could see him going there. Other than that, I think he's going to Arizona. I'd still prefer Harbaugh.
Speaking of Harbaugh, just because it's not known that Bidwill has reached out to him doesn't mean he hasn't. Harbaugh plays things close to the vest and you never really hear about him interviewing until after it happens. IIRC, he's his own agent as well which helps keep things quiet.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I don't know man. We've seen the Jets go from hopelessly bad to being competitive and it really only took a year or two.

If the next GM can walk away from this draft with two to three real good starters and a few regular contributors, this team can be competitive.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know man. We've seen the Jets go from hopelessly bad to being competitive and it really only took a year or two.

If the next GM can walk away from this draft with two to three real good starters and a few regular contributors, this team can be competitive.
Jags too.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The "fire Staley and get Payton" talk is nuts today. The league has become so short sighted.

You can't judge Staley on 2 seasons. In Payton's 2nd season as a HC they finished 7-9, 3rd in the division and didn't make the playoffs. In his 3rd season they went 8-8 and finished 4th.

Today he'd be fired by now.

In his 4th season they won the Superbowl.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the 17th thing was just for formal in person interviews....but they could do zoom/phone before that. I may be totally off on that, but thought it's what I read.
Lot's going on behind the scenes that none of us really know. Bidwill also keeps things close to his chest. Bottom line is that he has complied with the Rooney Rule for both GMs and HCs.