Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'd definitely be a little worried about the offensive side, but if you can pull a Shanahan disciple from the 49ers, it'd be interesting.
Plus build that same type of DL the 49ers have that can get pressure with only 4
You must be registered for see images attach
I really thought Flores would get another year before the Dolphins fired him. He doesn't take any BS from his players & he came from the BB tree.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay, I think I was wrong about Flores. Since the Cards announced they would interview him, I’ve communicate with several knowledgeable people. I had endorsed Flores because of his ability to produce a winning record while his ownership was trying to tank the team. I truly was impressed by the way he got his depleted team to pull together. Since the Cards have both a dysfunctional owner and a dysfunctional team culture, he seemed a great pick. However, after consulting several sources, I don’t believe he would be a good choice, though I’m confident he’d help the defense. It‘s not just his background is heavily defense, it’s that the general feeling is that he struggled to build an effective offensive coaching staff in Miami. That group failed to develop a cohesive offensive line and failed to maximize Tua’s skillset. Since I believe the Cards have to fix the offense above all else, I‘d rather look elsewhere for a coach.

But as you say, despite that he still pulled out a winning record with trash teams.

He's a smart guy. Smart people learn from their mistakes. Plus he's just gone through a similar thing with the Steelers.

But I agree it is crucial he gets his offensive staff right.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it will be a mistake to hire a DC to be the Cards HC. The biggest issue on the Cards team is our offense and the development of Kyler Murray. That is why Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh would be the best candidates for the Cards HC opening. Getting a good DC under them would not be a problem, in fact Payton would be bringing Vic Fagio with him as his DC.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think it will be a mistake to hire a DC to be the Cards HC. The biggest issue on the Cards team is our offense and the development of Kyler Murray. That is why Sean Payton or Jim Harbaugh would be the best candidates for the Cards HC opening. Getting a good DC under them would not be a problem, in fact Payton would be bringing Vic Fagio with him as his DC.

In the end, KM's development depends on the team's offensive philosophy, strategy, tactics and willingness to buy in.

It seems more evident with a Payton/Harbaugh choice, but in the end, it comes down to the O-C and QB coach, and that tandem can also be assembled by a H-C with a defensive background.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Plus build that same type of DL the 49ers have that can get pressure with only 4

I really thought Flores would get another year before the Dolphins fired him. He doesn't take any BS from his players & he came from the BB tree.
I'm neutral on Flores, but proclaiming the BB tree has to stop. So far, just about every branch from that tree has wilted and died when transplanted. The reason? I don't think BB really prepares his coaches to stand on their own, rather than they just try to initiate him when they leave...and there's only 1 BB.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Has any coach from the BB coaching tree had NFL success as a Head Coach? I am not opposed to Flores but not sure if his being from that staff is doing him any favors.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm neutral on Flores, but proclaiming the BB tree has to stop. So far, just about every branch from that tree has wilted and died when transplanted. The reason? I don't think BB really prepares his coaches to stand on their own, rather than they just try to initiate him when they leave...and there's only 1 BB.

I'm not sure it's BBs job to prepare people to be HCs. It's up to them to learn what they can and take that with them.

I think it's more likely that a lot of these coaches try to take the "Patriot way" with them without the experience or gravitas to pull it off. Only BB can do that.

We heard similar rumblings from Detroit with Patricia and Miami with Flores.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The difference in Tua"s performance has been incredible even conceding that Flores didn't have Tyrek
I'd be leery of Flores being able to improve Kyler after being unable to with Tua. Not a disqualifier but definitely a concern.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The difference in Tua"s performance has been incredible even conceding that Flores didn't have Tyrek
I'd be leery of Flores being able to improve Kyler after being unable to with Tua. Not a disqualifier but definitely a concern.
He just need to select the right guy that helps Murray improving and regain some confidence he lost playing behind an horrible offensive line and predictable offense

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Since I’ve already moved away from Flores, I should add I’m not fully excited at the prospect of Payton. Giving up a likely first round choice will slow the rebuild and the Cards desperately need impact players. Consider the state of the roster. Who are the impact players who can change the direction of a game. They have no ballhawk in the secondary. They may lose 2 of their best players in free agency, though neither is a Pro Bowl player. They have no major sack artist in the Front 7. On offense, Brown is the only breakaway threat and a modest one at that. Murray was a decent red zone threat, but will he still be? They might as well be an expansion team!

Impact players mostly come from round and occasionally free agency. Losing a first round choice is a disaster. The cap, considering Murray’s contract makes it very difficult to add a proven impact player. With Payton I think it’s 3 years, more likely 4, to build a playoff contender.

I fully recognize that if the Cards blow this choice it may take more than 4 years. So who would I turn to as coach. Harbaugh would be the best fit, assuming none of the TV guys have interest. I’d be willing to take a chance with Steichen. I’d talk to Ben Johnson and Ken Dorsey.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Initially I didn’t like the idea of trading a pick for Payton but after digging into it I realized a couple of things. The 3rd pick probably has a 75% chance of being a game changer. On top of that they are probably gone in 7-10 years if they are and that’s best case scenario. If Payton works out he’s here maybe 20 years and completely changes the culture of the organization like Bill B in New England did.

I feel the same way about the focus on having a plan for Kyler. I want someone to have a plan for sustained success and Kyler (love or hate him) is probably not long for this league. So what is the plan for after?

I’m tired of doing this crap every 3-5 years and want someone that can figure out a way to win even when things aren’t optimal.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I meant more along the lines of learned the right way to play defense from BB more than anything.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
More and, more, I think our offensive problems can be directly traced to our inability to adjust. and readjust to opposing defenses. Plain and simple we were outcoached on a play to play basis,

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Has any coach from the BB coaching tree had NFL success as a Head Coach? I am not opposed to Flores but not sure if his being from that staff is doing him any favors.
Yeah.....from the tree that BB came from...Bill Parcells!!

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
"He bought a one way ticket to Thailand"

lmao I'm not sure if that's a joke, but if it's true, lmao

god what a joke
Not sure what the problem is. Doubt he's going alone and doesn't have a fixed end date. That's freedom at it's finest.

What's the "joke" if it's true?

There's more than ladyboys there you know, and a whole SE Asia to roam.

Last edited: