2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes. It's not vogue on draft night. What I precisely said, it is vogue to look back in hindsight and say what we should have done. ;) I guess the difference was, I wasn't one of those pursuing him at all costs.

Sorry, I had "vogue" stuck in my head from your initial line in that other thread. My main point was this is something that's been discussed ad nauseum since the pick was made, almost like Ayton over Doncic, only it's much worse because we ended up with nothing while Indiana is profiting from JJ's shortsightedness. Passing on Tyrese was bad enough even if we ended up with a role player but the role player we picked is now developing into a solid rotation piece now elsewhere because JJ wouldn't even give him a full length NBA season to show something before cutting him loose.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sorry, I had "vogue" stuck in my head from your initial line in that other thread. My main point was this is something that's been discussed ad nauseum since the pick was made, almost like Ayton over Doncic, only it's much worse because we ended up with nothing while Indiana is profiting from JJ's shortsightedness. Passing on Tyrese was bad enough even if we ended up with a role player but the role player we picked is now developing into a solid rotation piece now elsewhere because JJ wouldn't even give him a full length NBA season to show something before cutting him loose.
Yeah. Jalen Smith didn't get the playing time here for whatever reason. I thought when he was here he had really good timing blocking shots. I think what sunk him, were all the college highlights of his shot making abilities, his coach setting screens for him to shoot, I think even a couple game winners. Then in the NBA, nerves or whatever made him miss a LOT of shots. He did have a couple good games before he left. Our weakness is developing young talent.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least he almost had a double double. Sorry just trying to find a bright side of the stat.
I haven't watched him play at all this year but that stat line is actually great for winning as long as he's not stifling the offensive flow and is playing high caliber defense. I'd take efficiency over high volume any day and while Simmons made 0% of this shots, he only missed 3 shots all night. Granted, he probably did disrupt the flow of his team's offense and I have no idea if he's returned to DPOY level but if you're looking for a bright side of the stat line...

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't watched him play at all this year but that stat line is actually great for winning as long as he's not stifling the offensive flow and is playing high caliber defense. I'd take efficiency over high volume any day and while Simmons made 0% of this shots, he only missed 3 shots all night. Granted, he probably did disrupt the flow of his team's offense and I have no idea if he's returned to DPOY level but if you're looking for a bright side of the stat line...
Absolutely true. The Nets were better offensively and defensively with him on the floor, statistically and by the eye test. They lost when Kyrie shot them out of the game in the 4th.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He only missed 3 shots cause he only took 3 shots. He’s just a total non factor. He could get 10 points a night with ease but he just refuses to shoot I’ve never seen anything like it especially in a guy so talented

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
Suns needed a PF the problem was they took Smith. I wanted Precious Achiuwa

It's still comes down to the math. The less you use, the less you get. Then factor in The FG % on reduce usage. So you got to use them to get more.

And again it's what the coach is going to do with what the GM selects. And the coach used players how he wants to...even still today for the vets whom they asked to join them.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One upped himself:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Worst record in the league AND franchise history… in a draft with Ja, Zion and even Darius Garland… and we end up with the 6th pick and Cam Johnson.

That draft really should have been the one to bring a decade’s worth of young dominance. Instead it gave us another role player at a position of depth.

Man that lottery sucked.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mea culpa Cheese moment. @AzStevenCal , I rode you really hard for your Warriors pre-season prediction but it looks like you were spot on and I was totally out to lunch.

Really surprised that none of their young guys have really taken any significant steps forward.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA refs are terrible. End of the Warriors and Celtics in OT Celts up 5 Poole goes up for a shot gets hit on the left hand by Brogdon no call, Tatum hits a 3 8 point lead. So we come down Wiggins rises for a 3, Horford never even touches him, foul 3 shots. Celtics challenge the call they review it and still give the FT's. Then we get a ball out of bounds clearly off Wiggins, refs give the ball to the Warriors, Celtics can't challenge it refs don't review it Warriors get the ball. 3 straight bad calls

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NBA refs are terrible. End of the Warriors and Celtics in OT Celts up 5 Poole goes up for a shot gets hit on the left hand by Brogdon no call, Tatum hits a 3 8 point lead. So we come down Wiggins rises for a 3, Horford never even touches him, foul 3 shots. Celtics challenge the call they review it and still give the FT's. Then we get a ball out of bounds clearly off Wiggins, refs give the ball to the Warriors, Celtics can't challenge it refs don't review it Warriors get the ball. 3 straight bad calls
It used to be you could look at the crew names before the game and pick out the bad referee, if there was one. Now, it just doesn't matter, most of them are weak.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson