POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Hopefully Kyler is already talking to Drew Brees about Sean and planning to be in AZ as part of the 'meet and greet' if Sean agrees to an interview.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Interesting language. Texans have *requested* whilst Cardinals have received permission. Will be interesting to see if it translates into an interview.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If history is an indicator(Belicheck , Gruden) then it will take much more than a single draft pick. Both of those guys were active I think, whereas Payton is not so we will see what the compensation ends up being for whatever team pulls the trigger.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully Kyler is already talking to Drew Brees about Sean and planning to be in AZ as part of the 'meet and greet' if Sean agrees to an interview.
On one hand you can maybe give a guy a pass just after a week of surgery. On the other hand he needs to 100% be going all out to get Sean Payton.

If he's chill or just lets the Cardinals figure it out that could lead to disaster for Kyler. Even with Kliff's warts that was a BIG believer in Kyler. No guarantee a Demeco Ryans or worse a Wilks level hiring doesnt have plans (i.e no plan) for how to use him on offense.

So he better be working the phones at least.

With that said it wouldnt shock me if a guy like Colt is doing a lot of leg work, no pun.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Payton is not coming here. We need to be realistic about this situation.
Maybe not, but if he interviews you'd get some valuable insights on your team because evidently he has looked into the job and 'likes' Kyler.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don’t know, I like our chances. Better situation than Houston, better weather and a younger QB than Denver. I think the lack of a GM may be a benefit for the Cards in this situation because Payton can have full control of personnel and has two guys that could be named co-GM that can learn from him and not be bothered by the arrangement .

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't get why anyone doubts this so much. It's not like there's a cupcake perfect coaching situation out there.
did you just become a Cardinals fan yesterday?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We never interviewed Reid, Kansas closed the deal.

I'd like to see who he's scheduled to interview with first.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
did you just become a Cardinals fan yesterday?
Obviously not, but outside of the "we're cursed" mentality, which I get, there aren't real football reasons to assume this can't work out.

I wasn't really old enough or engaged in football enough to remember the intricacies regarding Montana, but from what I've read, and what I know about the team at the time - we were a laughing stock of a franchise with no other talent, and Montana never wanted to come here. Like, basically a non-starter there.

Manning? I mean, he came to visit. Denver just had the more ready-to-win roster with two top WRs. We were down to the final two. But it was close. If you recall, we put a deadline on his decision, and he wasn't ready to make a choice. We had to make a move on Kolb. This isn't some "Cardinals dropped the ball and were a terrible organization" thing.

Reid is similar. The Chiefs were a better situation. Our QB situation was a mess, and Reid was able to acquire Alex Smith for KC. But he didn't even interview here - Payton is almost guaranteed to.

I suppose if McVay leaves, it could put a wrinkle in things, and the compensation part is a challenge, but from a pure football perspective, we're one of the top options in terms of existing assets and draft capital.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Y'all got your Montana's and Reid's, but I'll raise you a Brock Marion, who left the Cardinals at the altar, not once, but twice.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I think Sean Payton wants to be in Arizona, before the Cardinals / Falcons game on Fox, body langage said it all. When they were making the weekly picks, it was Payton's turn, he had our game but chose the Falcons with a grimace as Bradshaw patted him on the back like he knew something or my wishful thinking

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t think we’ll get Payton because Saints will be asking for our first whether this years or 2024 & Mike won’t budge.