POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Kyler's reference to "easy" mean Big Easy, as in code for New Orleans ala Payton???
You must be registered for see images attach

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Is Kyler's reference to "easy" mean Big Easy, as in code for New Orleans ala Payton???
You must be registered for see images attach
He has had that as his bio since College.

Oklahoma Card

Reaction score
What would the cost to the Saints (draft picks) cost us?
Is he worth the draft capital knowing we have a number of holes that need filled?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One would think Payton would have conversations with the Saints brass to negotiate compensation. It’s in his best interest to not give away a plethora of picks for a team he will be coaching.

If we have to give up a #1 it can’t be this years pick. I truly think if Payton becomes our head coach we will definitely trade down, maybe more than once. Trading the third pick should get you a #1 pick plus much more. If we were to acquire a #1 pick in 2024 that’s the one I would offer to the Saints.
However for that to happen a draft deal would have to be made in coordination of hiring Payton. Unless of course the Cards surrender their #1 in 2024.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
One would think Payton would have conversations with the Saints brass to negotiate compensation. It’s in his best interest to not give away a plethora of picks for a team he will be coaching.

If we have to give up a #1 it can’t be this years pick. I truly think if Payton becomes our head coach we will definitely trade down, maybe more than once. Trading the third pick should get you a #1 pick plus much more. If we were to acquire a #1 pick in 2024 that’s the one I would offer to the Saints.
However for that to happen a draft deal would have to be made in coordination of hiring Payton. Unless of course the Cards surrender their #1 in 2024.
This could be why he publicly stated he's happy staying at Fox and that it would have to be the right situation to coach. It's his way of letting Saints know he's happy to sit another year or 2 and not let them get anything.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
What would the cost to the Saints (draft picks) cost us?
Is he worth the draft capital knowing we have a number of holes that need filled?
Denver and the Saints have already agreed on a compensation package that includes a first round pick. I'd say that the January 17th meeting is perfunctory except Payton might consider being stuck with Russell Wilson to be a deal breaker.
Of course if Payton says no to Denver, if NO wants picks this might be negotiable. Also if the Cards do trade Hopkins, they might get a late first which they could use.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course if Payton says no to Denver, if NO wants picks this might be negotiable. Also if the Cards do trade Hopkins, they might get a late first which they could use.
I was thinking they could trade Hopkins straight up for Payton. Assuming NO is interested.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Most people think it will cost at least a 1st round pick to the Saints. That's a major consideration if a team pursues Payton
98.7 made a good point

the 1st round pick that Denver has to offer originally belonged to SF. So if SF goes far into the playoffs -- you are looking at something in the late 20s to 31 ( Miami got docked its first rounder, so only 31 picks this year)

AZ has the 34th pick (round 2) -- so the diff might be 5 or 6 slots max

finally: Payton will decide where he wants to go. Its not like NO gets to auction Payton off between DEN and AZ

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
98.7 made a good point

the 1st round pick that Denver has to offer originally belonged to SF. So if SF goes far into the playoffs -- you are looking at something in the late 20s to 31 ( Miami got docked its first rounder, so only 31 picks this year)

AZ has the 34th pick (round 2) -- so the diff might be 5 or 6 slots max

finally: Payton will decide where he wants to go. Its not like NO gets to auction Payton off between DEN and AZ
No, but THEY get to dictate terms. NO has all of the negotiating power.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Ehhhh... Payton's got more negotiating power than them. They're gonna be lucky to get anything, because Payton's got a nice TV gig sitting there and isn't hurting for money.

He can absolutely say "okay Saints, if you're not going to let me go where I want, you're getting nothing, bye bye."

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

They have control of an asset, which is worth precisely what someone is willing to pay for it.

Yes or no is the extent of their control until Payton's contract expires, and unless they've accepted something, it has precisely '0' value.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave