2022 verdict on Simmons and Collins

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Collins had 100+ tackles and is only in year 2 with a coach that isn't really known for developing LBs. He'll be fine.

Simmons rated as a "solid" DB according to PFF (link). I still think of him as a missile without a guidance system. There's no doubt he's made several game changing plays over the past 3 years. The INT in overtime against Seattle in 2020, goal line stop against Trey Lance in 2021, and the forced fumble against the Raiders in 2022 come to mind. That's 3 wins because of Isaiah Simmons.

I would say Isaiah was played out of position. I'd like to see him focused on one position. He looks like a WLB to my eyes, covering RBs, weakside cutbacks, occasional pass rush and occasionally covering a Y in the flat or backup TE.

A new coach will do wonders for both of these guys IMO.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Collins I think will be better once the DL becomes more stout. Simmons needs to be a straight line attacker and not a chaser
Agreed 100%. Collins had no help in front of him other than JJ. Get him big badass Jalen Carter in front of him and he'll be in the pro bowl every year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They both look better than “fringe starters” to me. They both look pretty solid. We just drafted both of them to be special, and I don’t think either have it in them.

Not their fault when they were drafted. Keims need to recreate the Washington-Dansby pairing has ruined more than a few promising careers.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think Collins is a comer, I’m not worried about him. He’ll just get better. As for Simmons, I still think his strength is being in position to blitz. I haven’t been impressed with his cover skills and play recognition. He covers best on the edges, like screens and passes in the flat. Coming downhill is one of his strengths. His real asset is speed. He needs creative defense design. He should blitz at every opportunity. He could run blitz a little and be disruptive. He should be involved in stunts because of his speed, open a gap and he’s amazingly quick bursting through it. This guy is a play maker with the right DC.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think both would be better as OLBs in a 4-3 defense where they only worry about 1/2 the field and have more DLs to cover up blockers

i think whatever Vance has them doing has them thinking soooooo much that they are indecisiv

in the positive: it seems at least once a game, there are plays where they cover unreal amounts of ground to make play

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To me they both underperformed and look like fringe starters at LB position for 34th team in NFL. They need to upgrade the position this offseason.

Such expectations and Collins is almost invisible on the field.
Totally disagree. Look who their DC is? Need I say more? If the choice ends up being Payton & I hope it is, he's gonna bring in Vic Fangio to be the DC, that's who I wanted as our DC in the off season anyway but it didn't happen. Fangio would have them reacting rather than thinking like VJ & I guarantee he would find the best way to use both of them. Simmons is a heat seeking missile that has the speed to make plays all over the field, he'll be even better with a DC that turns him loose. Collins just needs to learn to use his hands better on blocks but that can be taught by a good DC imo, he had over 100 tackles I think?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
After Hard Knocks I'm concerned with Collins head. If he can get mentally right then I think he could develop. He needs a Maverick to his Rooster.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Don;t we have to decide on picking up IS's 5th year option this offseason? IIRC he is extension eligible now.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think Collins is a comer, I’m not worried about him. He’ll just get better. As for Simmons, I still think his strength is being in position to blitz. I haven’t been impressed with his cover skills and play recognition. He covers best on the edges, like screens and passes in the flat. Coming downhill is one of his strengths. His real asset is speed. He needs creative defense design. He should blitz at every opportunity. He could run blitz a little and be disruptive. He should be involved in stunts because of his speed, open a gap and he’s amazingly quick bursting through it. This guy is a play maker with the right DC.
Agree 100%

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is tough to say. I would love to see both under a different DC. You can probably make the argument that it is worth the 3rd rounder you may get for him to see if he can be an impact player since the Cardinals have few of those.

Reactions: PJ1

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I knew it was bad when Billy
Davis was back around this team.
You're exactly right but this is the funny part. Bill Davis was the only coach I noticed on Hard Knocks that actually seemed like he was teaching anything, maybe VJ on the last episode but that segment was more motivation about Budda out playing everyone else more than coaching.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Main reason I hated this coaching staff because they didn't coach or teach basic fundamentals.
Just something simple like keeping a low center of gravity, neck up, wrapping up tackles.
VJ and his staff just assumed the guy Keim drafted would be plug and play into the system.
A weird and exotic system where the DE's drop back into coverage and CBs and safeties crash down into the gaps leaving the running backs' swing and flare routes wide open.
TE's were like extra players on the field the defense didn't have players to cover.
Worst of all VJ never made any adjustments, while the other team's OCs did.

Last edited:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
The last versatile linebacker we screwed with too much is killing it in Philadelphia. The worst thing this team can do is to not tender Simmons and watch him kill it under a DC who knows how to use him properly

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I am disappointed in the results, but I still don't think either of them are playing in the correct roles, so it's tough to judge them as players.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose