Stop putting the Payton on a pedestal

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think he's a good coach but he's a long shot at best and even if he were to become available, somebody is going to way overpay

Dude has one ring. He had Drew Brees. Drew Brees (still) has more TDs than anybody not named Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Threw for a bazillion yards too, probably in the top 5 QB all time, Payton Schmeyton

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think he's a good coach but he's a long shot at best and even if he were to become available, somebody is going to way overpay

Dude has one ring. He had Drew Brees. Drew Brees (still) has more TDs than anybody not named Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Thew for a bazillion yards too, probably in the top 5 QB all time, Peyton Schmeyton
He took over the dumpster fire Saints, with an injured QB, who nobody knew if he'd recover fully. Eerily similar to the situation in AZ.

Also, it's Payton. Peyton is Manning.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He's fine. He's better than what we had, but he's a guy with a track record of success and had turned over that New Orleans roster a bunch of times.

I think anyone expecting him to come in and work 70-hour weeks grinding tape and stuff is going to be disappointed. You want him here as a manager and builder of a program who brings respectability inside and outside the lockerroom.

This is Bill Parcells with the Cowboys, not Bill Parcells with the Giants.

I do think that people are pinning their hopes pretty hard on this because the team has been deeply embarrassing for like the past 18 months.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's fine. He's better than what we had, but he's a guy with a track record of success and had turned over that New Orleans roster a bunch of times.

I think anyone expecting him to come in and work 70-hour weeks grinding tape and stuff is going to be disappointed. You want him here as a manager and builder of a program who brings respectability inside and outside the lockerroom.

This is Bill Parcells with the Cowboys, not Bill Parcells with the Giants.

I do think that people are pinning their hopes pretty hard on this because the team has been deeply embarrassing for like the past 18 months.

Pretty much how I feel about it. The org needs somebody to clean the wreckage out and get pointed in the right direction as much as it needs a competent coach.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
He's the #1 candidate for a reason. Michael will have sell him versus Payton 'winning' the job.

It is going to take a strong personality and an offensive genius to maximize Murray's ability. Payton has both IMO.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dude has one ring. He had Drew Brees. Drew Brees (still) has more TDs than anybody not named Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Threw for a bazillion yards too, probably in the top 5 QB all time, Payton Schmeyton
Can you show me one person who said he is the greatest coach ever? Wanting to have the best or one of the best available options is not putting him on a pedestal.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree. He's not the messiah some make out and had 5 losing seasons with Brees. He only won 1 or 5 NFCCG. He also bailed as soon as things got tough.

But he's still very good and brings credibility and a top end staff that we need.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And the options are Harbaugh (doubtful) and slew of 1st year HC's of which any are wild cards. Which is something AZ can get any time. But I fear if we don't get Payton we will stick with VJ.

This is possibly one of the few chances ever a successful coach would ever wind up here. At minimum it probably give us a bump out of the complete dumpster fire of a franchise tier.

Only 1 SB as an accolade is not a bad thing. Rodgers and Favre only won 1 SB as well as only appearance. SB's are hard if you're not named Brady and Montana. Now Mahomes, pairing with Reid. Elite coaches have elite QB's, usually. Hoping Kyler is just good enough, or the next one.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Need instant credibility and respect…. “Calm the F…. down” coming from Kyler to Kliff is not acceptable. IMHO QBs not named Brady or Rodgers need to respect their HC. I think Payton gets that with his pedigree.

Payton would get respect by not getting flustered to the point where Kyler has to say, "Calm the F... down!" ;)

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Andy arguably has become one of the best coaches of the past 2 decades. Sean Payton was already in the top 5 IMO.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree. He's not the messiah some make out and had 5 losing seasons with Brees. He only won 1 or 5 NFCCG. He also bailed as soon as things got tough.

But he's still very good and brings credibility and a top end staff that we need.
If he had 5 losing seasons with Brees he didn’t really bail “as soon as things got tough,” now did he? He bailed after a long run, the loss of his HOF QB, and a disaster of a cap situation. That’s beyond “tough.”

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose