Sean —> Denver?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
my speculation:

why would the Saints expect to hear from the Cards?

because the Cards have already gauged Payton's interest behind the scenes (via his agent or some other third party) and have gotten a thumbs up that Payton is interested --- and the Saints have heard about that
I don't even think you needed 3rd party behind the scenes investigating to know that Sean may be interested in AZ. Anyone who has paid attention to his last several Cowherd guest appearances could see he has an affinity for AZ and Kyler Murray. Not really a stretch, IMO. Can the deal get done? Who knows...

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm hoping to dangle our 1st and maybe a next year 2nd/3rd+, but also get a decent player in return.

If we can get without using this year's 1st, I'm all for it. Wal-Mart has deep pockets and willing to trade whatever to get him.

But if it comes down to it, I just don't see how keeping our 1st round pick and having VJ/KK with newly minted Co-Gm is the better option here. 1st round pick is worth the cost of not having tickets to that circus (putting it mildly) that will set us back years.

That pick will either bust or we will waste their first contract/be let go/traded before their second contract and all we will be left with is "what if." It's not like we get a 1st round pick every year or anything. But I do understand it is premium 1st.

Not every day (or ever really) an established/SB winning coach would want to come here.
Not sure he's still considered decent, but the only player I'd want from Saints would be Taysom Hill, so Payton could have an easier time adapting his offense to AZ.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
my speculation:

why would the Saints expect to hear from the Cards?

because the Cards have already gauged Payton's interest behind the scenes (via his agent or some other third party) and have gotten a thumbs up that Payton is interested --- and the Saints have heard about that
I posted what you said pretty much right here the other day about speaking to him through back channels & 3rd parties. The more I think about everything though & Denver now seriously getting involved....................then take into consideration our owner..............? Yeah, we'll end up with VJ as our coach, Spencer Whipple as OC, Wilson & Harris as GM's.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Perhaps it’s more than a dream? Here’s yet another “Payton to the Cardinals” story: https://apple.news/Ajl6ECny8R12siW4pikSSpQ
That's a spinoff article from the one I read on PFT pretty much. It just seems like too many picks, too much money for Bidwill to hire Payton & payout the money to KK. Bidwill **** in his own bed the moment he gave KK the extension.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Man, I get everything you’re saying but you hope to not get a pick this high often and when you do you hope to get homerun outta it. Maybe have to hope Payton is the homerun. I’m squarely on the fence on this years first. But I’d give up next years in a heartbeat.
For Sean Payton hell yes I would. 1 pick ain't changing our fortune anyways but having him as the HC will change our future.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm hoping to dangle our 1st and maybe a next year 2nd/3rd+, but also get a decent player in return.

If we can get without using this year's 1st, I'm all for it. Wal-Mart has deep pockets and willing to trade whatever to get him.

But if it comes down to it, I just don't see how keeping our 1st round pick and having VJ/KK with newly minted Co-Gm is the better option here. 1st round pick is worth the cost of not having tickets to that circus (putting it mildly) that will set us back years.

That pick will either bust or we will waste their first contract/be let go/traded before their second contract and all we will be left with is "what if." It's not like we get a 1st round pick every year or anything. But I do understand it is premium 1st.

Not every day (or ever really) an established/SB winning coach would want to come here.
Way too much to give up. Wal-Mart doesn't have a single valuable pick to trade them, anyways.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Way too much to give up. Wal-Mart doesn't have a single valuable pick to trade them, anyways.

They still have a 1st. Payton has taken a poverty franchise and turned it around.

I guess we will get what we deserve if we promote VJ, an already failed HC and not a very successful DC. Wednesday practices are gunna lit. We are going to waste all of Kyler's prime and that cool 1st round pick will be gone before second contract after we rebuild again.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Yeah, we'll end up with VJ as our coach, Spencer Whipple as OC, Wilson & Harris as GM's.
That would clearly be a total dumpster fire once again & in 2 years max we would organizationally right back to where we are today! No ifs ands or buts about it imo. This would be like kicking yourself in the balls thinking it didn’t hurt too bad, then kicking yourself in the balls again lol

Lord help us

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That would clearly be a total dumpster fire once again & in 2 years max we would organizationally right back to where we are today! No ifs ands or buts about it imo. This would be like kicking yourself in the balls thinking it didn’t hurt too bad, then kicking yourself in the balls again lol

Lord help us
You're 100% correct & with the ownership of the Cardinals history of bad decisions, I'm almost mad at myself for even thinking Bidwill would seriously try & get Sean Payton.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this i am 100% sure of:

Mike wants to win.

what i am not sure of at all:

does he want to win enough to spend the money, draft capital and his personal comfort level to bring in a highly respected outsider to run his football team

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
this i am 100% sure of:

Mike wants to win.

what i am not sure of at all:

does he want to win enough to spend the money, draft capital and his personal comfort level to bring in a highly respected outsider to run his football team
Which all points to him not really wanting to win.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
They still have a 1st. Payton has taken a poverty franchise and turned it around.

I guess we will get what we deserve if we promote VJ, an already failed HC and not a very successful DC. Wednesday practices are gunna lit. We are going to waste all of Kyler's prime and that cool 1st round pick will be gone before second contract after we rebuild again.
Let's not pretend there's not a middle ground between not getting Payton and promoting VJ.

Like, a complete win or trash failure doesn't have to happen. We could hire a decent coach and GM without promoting from within. If we hire from within for both main spots, I'll be right here bemoaning it.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let's not pretend there's not a middle ground between not getting Payton and promoting VJ.

Like, a complete win or trash failure doesn't have to happen. We could hire a decent coach and GM without promoting from within. If we hire from within for both main spots, I'll be right here bemoaning it.
True.

I doubt we get Harbaugh, and other options will most likely be 1st time head coaches. With Kyler's prime on the line, a wild card isn't too enticing to me (and if we go with rookie GM's).

But if Fangio comes with Payton, that's gunna be pretty legit. Who else knows what other talent would want to flock here as well. Investment could pay enormous dividends, more than any first round pick could.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave