Do you care as much as you used to?

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Has your level of passion for being a fan changed?

I’m finding after being a suns fan for a long time, the challenges of the last few years owning a music industry business, and the suns flirting with success but potentially heading back to average quickly that I don’t seem to care that much anymore.

I’m less “glass half full” and more “crowder” in my outlook on this team and the future of the suns. I’d like to think we’re going to stay relevant, but I wonder if we’re in the “every 10 years we have a shot but something crazy happens” mode

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Has your level of passion for being a fan changed?

I’m finding after being a suns fan for a long time, the challenges of the last few years owning a music industry business, and the suns flirting with success but potentially heading back to average quickly that I don’t seem to care that much anymore.

I’m less “glass half full” and more “crowder” in my outlook on this team and the future of the suns. I’d like to think we’re going to stay relevant, but I wonder if we’re in the “every 10 years we have a shot but something crazy happens” mode
Such an odd question considering the last 15 years. I think this question would be much more relevant in 2017 than now.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I still care.
I just have this mode I go into when we suck that makes it look like I'm ok with it on the outside. But on the inside my stomach is eating itself alive.

Deep Breath, There's a new owner in the wings we have a few players we need to keep a few draft picks to spend, then just throw ALL the money at whatever/whoever it takes to bring Larry to the Valley.
Easy Peasy

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My affection for the Suns remains undaunted. I am concerned their championship window is closing. These opportunities do not come around very often.

However, my utmost enjoyment has always been watching young players develop so that opportunity should always be there. If one door closes, another one opens.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sarver
Bidwill
Kendrick
WhoevertheFookownstheCoyotes

It’s hard to be in 100% fandom when you have the worst ownership situation of any four sport market in the country.

Right.

I can’t care more than the owner. Bidwill and Sarver are as bad as it gets and pretty much show up and collect a check.

I’m totally out on the cardinals after last season and I feel pretty damn good about my choice. I can’t continue to care and give them my money when I know they don’t care about winning

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I still care.
I just have this mode I go into when we suck that makes it look like I'm ok with it on the outside. But on the inside my stomach is eating itself alive.

Deep Breath, There's a new owner in the wings we have a few players we need to keep a few draft picks to spend, then just throw ALL the money at whatever/whoever it takes to bring Larry to the Valley.
Easy Peasy
That’s a good way of dealing with this. Sarver will be out soon. If you would’ve asked us three years ago how exciting that proposition was we would have ALL been cheering. That’s a nice comfy pillow to lean back into. Man I hope ishbia is a similar owner to the clippers guy.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I still care and want the hometown teams to win, but as I’ve gotten older I dont let it ruin my day as before, especially with football. More to life than being pissed off over something I have zero control over.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still care and want the hometown teams to win, but as I’ve gotten older I dont let it ruin my day as before, especially with football. More to life than being pissed off over something I have zero control over.
This is where I am.

But it’s even less with the Suns now. I had something really scary going on when we lost the Finals, so losing there really didn’t effect me at all as I was just grateful for the ride and escape they gave me.

But I also wasn’t super pissed after we lost that humiliation in Game 7. Didn’t yell at the TV once, even when it was early. Was laughing at the game by mid 1st quarter when it was clear Arizona fans were in for an All-Time face plants and decided to just play with my niece instead. And I think that collapse/humiliation combined with the collapse/humiliation we had just seen from the Cardinals just kinda broke something in my fandom. I’ve worked through Cardinals games this year, didn’t get the NBA Ticket this year and even argued with my Dad over having to watch every Suns game when I was home over the holidays.

I’ve never done any of that before. In games, something might get my heckles up here or there, but nothing really sticks the second a game ends.

Also, right now, there’s no player I really love on either the Suns or Cardinals. But maybe that’s a function of just being older and… wait for it… being more mature. And I really don’t like some of the most important players on both teams.

It’s also crystal clear to me that I love football more than basketball. I’ll pretty much never watch any other teams in the regular season for basketball, but I can watch other NFL teams on Sunday and Sunday night. But even there, not nearly as much as I used to.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My passion for sports first took a hit in the 90's with all the player strikes/work stoppages. Baseball was my first love and even with the arrival of the Dbacks and the World Series championship, I never quite returned to being the baseball fan of my youth.

Then, my passion for football really took a dive when we started finding out about CTE and how damaging the game is to a player's longterm health.

Finally, my passion for hoops took another dive when flopping and acting became the order of the day. But even with the strikes, the referee manipulation and Robert Sarver, I still love watching basketball. I'm just no longer as invested in the results as I once was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a weird way, the Pandemic also changed me as a sports fan. It put a lot of things in perspective as far as what was actually important in my life and what was just entertainment that at the end of the day, didn’t really matter when all’s said and done.

OP
OP
boisesuns

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
In a weird way, the Pandemic also changed me as a sports fan. It put a lot of things in perspective as far as what was actually important in my life and what was just entertainment that at the end of the day, didn’t really matter when all’s said and done.
That’s where I’ve been at as I look back.

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
I will probably always care for the Suns because of being Phoenix's 1st pro team and my love for the game while being a die hard Suns fan. Two years ago I thought we were on the verge of our 1st championship but the Bucks wouldn't comply . However I don't like the Euro favor that the NBA has taken on. With so much emphasis on Scoring, traveling, carrying the ball over, flopping, and and giving the offensive players all the calls & the preferred treatment while the defensive players are handcuff to combat that offense. I like the grit of tough defense being rewarded as well as offense is. As a former high school varsity basketball coach in California I prefer the equal competitive battle between teams on offensive & defense. Let the best team win. Time changes, team approach changes, and record changes so hopefully the Suns will rise to the highest one day and capture that elusive Chip. And I am still going to hang with the Suns for the long haul. Go Suns

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So you have felt the same way since 2017?
Huh?

This is a sky is falling thread punctuated by a question that was better suited to be asked in 2017 after several years of irrelevance. We are at a seriously low point right now, but after the past two years of winning, we're all of a sudden supposed to be feeling the same as if Luis Scola and Hedo Turkoglu were playing right now? Come on.

Do I care? Of course I do. That's why I'm so pissed off. There's a huge difference between being angry about this current team and apathetic during the 2010s.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
What can I say? I'm a lifer. Basketball and the Suns has been a lifelong passion. I'm excited about the new ownership. Ishbia seems like a winner without the baggage. That being said, I don't let it ruin my life if we don't win. Last year's game 7 was super disappointing of course and one of the most puzzling things I've experienced as a Suns fan but life goes on.

I just want to experience one Suns championship in my lifetime. I know there are no guarantees but I continue to enjoy the ride even with the ups and downs. One of these days, I just can't help thinking it will all come together. I think the new ownership can help make that happen.

OP
OP
boisesuns

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Huh?

This is a sky is falling thread punctuated by a question that was better suited to be asked in 2017 after several years of irrelevance. We are at a seriously low point right now, but after the past two years of winning, we're all of a sudden supposed to be feeling the same as if Luis Scola and Hedo Turkoglu were playing right now? Come on.

Do I care? Of course I do. That's why I'm so pissed off. There's a huge difference between being angry about this current team and apathetic during the 2010s.
Not a sky is falling thread, just asking how people are feeling about the team in general given a lot more crazy events of the last few years. Simply asking where people are at. That’s it.

Sorry if I touched a nerve. Respect your posts, and it looks like I got my answer in the last sentence. Sounds like I could assume you have the same amount of passion and interest as you always have?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not a sky is falling thread, just asking how people are feeling about the team in general given a lot more crazy events of the last few years. Simply asking where people are at. That’s it.

Sorry if I touched a nerve. Respect your posts, and it looks like I got my answer in the last sentence. Sounds like I could assume you have the same amount of passion and interest as you always have?
Well I can’t say I was very passionate back in 2017, but I think my level of anger now is certainly higher than back then.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I tell myself I don't care but always find myself getting that nauseous feeling that I've always had since I was 14. All 4 + the Devils are my teams. Cards seem to hurt the most but I think that's because you go 5-7 days between games. I must say D Backs in the playoffs is a blast and heart wrenching at the same time. I think now that I'm 47 maybe I get over it quicker? Still I hate the losing...especially the Suns right now.

Resin07

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not interested in watching unless Booker is playing, the rest of this Suns team is so boring to watch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not interested in watching unless Booker is playing, the rest of this Suns team is so boring to watch.
this is where I am at this point. They are likely going to lose the majority of those games and it’s not even like they have anyone who’s actually exciting to watch play in his absence.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Sarver
Bidwill
Kendrick
WhoevertheFookownstheCoyotes

It’s hard to be in 100% fandom when you have the worst ownership situation of any four sport market in the country.
In all fairness, the Yotes owner is bringing in a new stadium, and a new GM who is rebuilding the team through the draft with TONS of first round picks. It seems the jury is still out on him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA