2023 Plan?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
True on both points. I just find it difficult to believe that filling the most crucial spot on a football team with a guy who is more talented than every starter we ever had (minus Warner’s renaissance) wouldn’t have been in our best interest. I think the butterfly effect would’ve been more in the positive direction than neutral or negative.
to add fuel to the fire:

The NEXT draft, they passed on Aaron Rodgers because they just signed Warner

Denny took Antrelle Rolle

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Big Ben + Old Town Scottsdale = trouble
Probably 15 years ago, I found a blog from a Pittsburgh radio guy where he discussed just how big of a scumbag Rapistburger was.

He's the guy who berates servers at restaurants and then doesn't tip. He'd also routinely be a dick to fans in public.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just remember lots of rumors swirling at the time and various outlets saying his voice was growing old in the locker room. I feel like Joe Staley was one of the key vets who was leading the charge for change.

My friend coached for Jim Harbaugh in Michigan a few years ago and is currently a coach in the NFL. He told me Jim is a pain in the arse to work for and it was one of the most exhausting experiences of his career.

My take is that Jim might be able to field a competitive NFL team for a year or two before everyone burns out. At which point good players and staff will look to jump ship ASAP.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sorry your rear view vision isn’t as developed as mine ;)

If you really believe the cardinals would have had the same success with the cast of turning over QBs as with Philip rivers I don’t know what to tell you.
I don't see any reality where a WR is better to draft than a HOF QB.

Larry is an all time great WR, but Rivers/Rapistburger were still more valuable.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Also assumes we’d never know Larry would have been a HOFer also.

Which is the point. If we had the first pick in the draft, passing on MULTIPLE QBOTF for a great WR would have stupid considering who our QB was and the absence of one for almost two decades.
Oh, we know Larry would have been a HOFer anywhere he went, given the septic system of QBs we had over the years.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also assumes we’d never know Larry would have been a HOFer also.

Which is the point. If we had the first pick in the draft, passing on MULTIPLE QBOTF for a great WR would have stupid considering who our QB was and the absence of one for almost two decades.
I can see that logic I suppose.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol Jacoby Brissett isn't that guy. What record did he lead Cleveland to with a much, much better roster?
Considering all options available. Check his career stats. Especially the year with Indy. He’s thrown twice as many td’s at ints. Honestly the Brown organization is not really the greatest sample if you are looking for success for any player.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Considering all options available. Check his career stats. Especially the year with Indy. He’s thrown twice as many td’s at ints. Honestly the Brown organization is not really the greatest sample if you are looking for success for any player.
Neither are we. :(

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just think it's a different team and it's too disruptive to the sands of time to even project.

True on both points. I just find it difficult to believe that filling the most crucial spot on a football team with a guy who is more talented than every starter we ever had (minus Warner’s renaissance) wouldn’t have been in our best interest. I think the butterfly effect would’ve been more in the positive direction than neutral or negative.
Sure, we can't know whether Rivers or Fitzgerald would've had the same kind of careers in a different setting... and i loved having Fitz as a Cardinal, the joy and hope of the Warner years, and the competence and hope of the Palmer years... but with the benefit of hindsight, one thing that really stands out about Rivers is how durable he was. Just compare the Chargers QB situation vs. the Cards' between 2006-2016:

yearSD QB
rating​
gms​
ARI QB1
rating​
gms​
ARI QB2
rating​
gms​
ARI QB3
rating​
gms
2016​
Rivers
87.9​
16​
Palmer
87.2​
15​
2015​
Rivers
93.8​
16​
Palmer
103.6​
16​
2014​
Rivers
93.7​
16​
Palmer
95.6​
6​
Stanton
76.7​
8​
2013​
Rivers
105.5​
16​
Palmer
83.9​
16​
2012​
Rivers
88.6​
16​
Kolb
86.1​
6​
Skelton
55.4​
6​
Lindley
46.7​
4​
2011​
Rivers
88.7​
16​
Kolb
81.1​
9​
Skelton
68.9​
7​
2010​
Rivers
101.8​
16​
Anderson
65.9​
9​
Skelton
63.3​
4​
Hall
35.7​
3​
2009​
Rivers
104.4​
16​
Warner
93.2​
15​
2008​
Rivers
105.5​
16​
Warner
96.9​
15​
2007​
Rivers
82.4​
16​
Warner
89.8​
11​
Leinart
61.9​
5​
2006​
Rivers
92​
16​
Leinart
74​
11​
Warner
89.3​
5​

Not only did Rivers start EVERY GAME, EVERY YEAR, but his passer rating was higher than that of the Cardinals' starter 8 of 11 years, and some of the Cards' backups who played significant numbers of games were PREPOSTEROUSLY bad.

I don't even want to contemplate having scumbag Roethlisberger on the team rather than Fitz, but one of the butterfly effects of that alternate reality would have been that the Steelers would NOT have had him in Super Bowl XLIII.

...dave

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave