2023 Plan?

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
I feel like the dumbest solution is the most likely: The Cards fire Kliff, keep Adrian Wilson and Co., pair them with someone like Frank Reich and have a three-headed personnel department.

I think there was an explicit agreement between Kliff and Keim that Kliff was going to be too busy learning the NFL game to get into personnel, and Keim had 100% free rein there. So we ended up in a personnel nightmare that Won't Let Kliff Be Great when it turned out Keim was spending more time scouting Johnny Walker than Kenneth Walker.

Occam's Razor, but really dumb.

The Cardinals way!!!!!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First and foremost let’s stop with the talk of trading Murray. Can’t happen. So move on from there.
A combo of Ireland and Payton seems like a no brainer but I think that might be unrealistic. I think the best we can hope for is DeMarco Ryan which I think would be a mistake. With the talent the 49ers have on defense the SHOULD be good. It would take 3 years to acquire that much talent.
I think our “ co-GM “ is already in the building.
I think it’s 51/49 that Kingsbury is fired.
We need to come up with a QB that can start the season and perhaps go until week 8-10. We need a guy that can win and perhaps compete a bit with Murray to make him work to get better. Brissett seems like an average guy that could handle the situation.
We need to build an offensive line. A center and a guard is needed at minimum.
We need a rb with speed. A big WR would be nice but the club will make us believe Wesley is the guy.
Those investments will probably limit us being able to do much more. So on defense we need a big DT that can stop the run.we are going to have to live with Sanders and Thomas and hope they step into a starting position. We have to find a way to resign Allen and Murphy.
Do you think we can get younger at punter and field goal kicker?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This can not be underestimated imo
And it sucks. Sometimes organizations aren't settled or smart enough to play chess and they have to play checkers until they can reach that level. Harbaugh and Payton are checkers HC hires. The chess move is getting an awesome GM, letting that GM hire an HC and move forward. I feel like the Cardinals keep trying to play chess and they just need to to play checkers for a while until they can learn how chess is played.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
And it sucks. Sometimes organizations aren't settled or smart enough to play chess and they have to play checkers until they can reach that level. Harbaugh and Payton are checkers HC hires. The chess move is getting an awesome GM, letting that GM hire an HC and move forward. I feel like the Cardinals keep trying to play chess and they just need to to play checkers for a while until they can learn how chess is played.
Not sure I 100% agree with this. When is the last time, if ever, the Cardinals have hired a big name, proven winner. Buddy Ryan wasn’t one.

I think it’s harder to find a good GM.

But I do agree that a good GM is more important in the long run.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Not sure I 100% agree with this. When is the last time, if ever, the Cardinals have hired a big name, proven winner. Buddy Ryan wasn’t one.

I think it’s harder to find a good GM.

But I do agree that a good GM is more important in the long run.
My guy. Dennis Green was 97-62 as a head coach before he came here.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harbaugh definitely wants back in the NFL. He thought he had the Vikings job last year.
I forgot how good his record was in the league.
44-19-1, 5-3 in the playoffs.
13-3 the first year, and SF was 6-10 the prior year.
11-4-1, NFC Champs
12-4
8-8= fired

He costs zero draft pick compensation. He should be the #1 target.
100%. The fact that he had major success with a player like Colin Kaepernick is even more of a reason to pry him away. If Kliff can't do anything with Kyler, the next person I'd trust his Harbaugh.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m not at all confident that Bidwill’s able to accept this. His ego seems to demand he gets credit (even though failure is too often the result) for leading the team and making the big decisions. The fact he insists on debriefs after each game tells you he’s unable to truly delegate and has a controlling personality. He lacks the expertise to make the necessary decisions, but insists on making them anyway.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m not at all confident that Bidwill’s able to accept this. His ego seems to demand he gets credit (even though failure is too often the result) for leading the team and making the big decisions. The fact he insists on debriefs after each game tells you he’s unable to truly delegate and has a controlling personality. He lacks the expertise to make the necessary decisions, but insists on making them anyway.

Does Mike INSIST on debriefs, or were video sessions offered, and they became part of the routine?

And I somehow doubt that this inclusion of the owner is a first or particularly novel.

If he were as hands-on, all-controlling as you suggest, he'd be titled: Owner/President/General Manager like Jerry Jones.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you read that as any more than water-carrying for ownership, you probably didn’t read the link you posted.
I just remember lots of rumors swirling at the time and various outlets saying his voice was growing old in the locker room. I feel like Joe Staley was one of the key vets who was leading the charge for change.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I just remember lots of rumors swirling at the time and various outlets saying his voice was growing old in the locker room. I feel like Joe Staley was one of the key vets who was leading the charge for change.
Jed York wishcasting

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
First and foremost let’s stop with the talk of trading Murray. Can’t happen. So move on from there.
A combo of Ireland and Payton seems like a no brainer but I think that might be unrealistic. I think the best we can hope for is DeMarco Ryan which I think would be a mistake. With the talent the 49ers have on defense the SHOULD be good. It would take 3 years to acquire that much talent.
I think our “ co-GM “ is already in the building.
I think it’s 51/49 that Kingsbury is fired.
We need to come up with a QB that can start the season and perhaps go until week 8-10. We need a guy that can win and perhaps compete a bit with Murray to make him work to get better. Brissett seems like an average guy that could handle the situation.
We need to build an offensive line. A center and a guard is needed at minimum.
We need a rb with speed. A big WR would be nice but the club will make us believe Wesley is the guy.
Those investments will probably limit us being able to do much more. So on defense we need a big DT that can stop the run.we are going to have to live with Sanders and Thomas and hope they step into a starting position. We have to find a way to resign Allen and Murphy.
Do you think we can get younger at punter and field goal kicker?
Interesting thought which led me to thinking what if the guy brought in to play QB until Murray is ready ends up doing a bang up job and is leading the team to multiple wins and playoff contention? Do you still insert Murray and hope the success continues or do you stick with the guy who is leading the team and does Murray go into sulk mode because he isn't getting on the field.

I don't think it happens because the team has too many holes but it's not inconceivable.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Time to be a Colts fan.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is from a parody account, but seems to match with how some feel Keim has run things.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like the dumbest solution is the most likely: The Cards fire Kliff, keep Adrian Wilson and Co., pair them with someone like Frank Reich and have a three-headed personnel department.

I think there was an explicit agreement between Kliff and Keim that Kliff was going to be too busy learning the NFL game to get into personnel, and Keim had 100% free rein there. So we ended up in a personnel nightmare that Won't Let Kliff Be Great when it turned out Keim was spending more time scouting Johnny Walker than Kenneth Walker.
You must be registered for see images attach

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson