MNF: Damar Hamlin

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So late in the season. I don't think they make up for it at all. Unless you push the post season a week and not leave a bye week between conference championships and the SB.

I could see a scenario where the NFL considers this game a win for both teams and just cancels it.
It impacts the #1 seed. I don't see how they CAN cancel it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It impacts the #1 seed. I don't see how they CAN cancel it.
If it isn't being completed this week, and they didn't change the schedule for week 18? There aren't many options. It will be interesting to see.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t JV Cain die during a Cardinal preseason practice?
Yes.

On July 22, 1979, at about 8:30 p.m., Cain suddenly collapsed during a no-contact training camp practice at Lindenwood College in St. Charles, Missouri. He was revived by CPR and taken to nearby St. Joseph's Hospital, where he died less than two hours later. His death was found to be due to an extremely rare congenital heart problem, undetectable except by autopsy, which was exacerbated by strenuous exercise.

In honor of Cain, the St. Louis Cardinals football team wore black armbands during the 1979 season. Cain's number 88 is retired by the Cardinals.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the NFL has flexibility because of the seriousness of this situation. With minimal grumbling they could probably award a tie, coin flip for the win, or flip for position if Buffalo and Cincinnati are tied with each other after next week.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on man. Repercussions? For a tweet?

You want a guy to lose what feeds his family for a tasteless tweet?
Skip Bayless' net worth is over $17 million. I am sure he'd still be able to feed his family if he suddenly lost his job.

Personally, I read all of his tweets from last night and it just seemed like he was tweeting a stream of consciousness which sounded poorly worded at the time, but in hindsight it was just someone trying to figure out how the league was going to proceed from an unprecedented incident. In the tweet everyone is hating on he ended it by saying it - discussion of what the league would do with the game - "suddenly seems so irrelevant."

I think it is more about WHO said it than WHAT was said. Skip is known to be a troll who will tweet stuff to start controversy, etc.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the NFL has flexibility because of the seriousness of this situation. With minimal grumbling they could probably award a tie, coin flip for the win, or flip for position if Buffalo and Cincinnati are tied with each other after next week.
Sure, but only so much. They aren't going to delay the Super Bowl. That takes years of planning.

I think they will have to push the post season a week, Play BUF/CIN (week 19) giving everyone gets a bye and the #1 seed gets 2 weeks.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
K.C. should simply man up and as a whole tell the league to forget this game and let the Bills have the bye week due to their win over the Chiefs. Problems solved.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure, but only so much. They aren't going to delay the Super Bowl. That takes years of planning.

I think they will have to push the post season a week, Play BUF/CIN (week 19) giving everyone gets a bye and the #1 seed gets 2 weeks.
I think you misunderstood because I was suggesting the opposite. If they award a tie or flip a coin in place of the suspended game, nothing else moves.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood because I was suggesting the opposite. If they award a tie or flip a coin in place of the suspended game, nothing else moves.
Why would you except a tie if you were Cincinnati? They were winning the game, had the ball at the time, and had the home crowd on your side.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So late in the season. I don't think they make up for it at all. Unless you push the post season a week and not leave a bye week between conference championships and the SB.

I could see a scenario where the NFL considers this game a win for both teams and just cancels it.
I bet they move the playoffs a week. How is that fair to KC?

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the choices for Cincinnati are to just let BUF have the #1 seed? Again, why would they agree.
Not saying they would. But to say Cinci should be declared the winner because they were leading in the 1st quarter is worse than declaring it a tie or null contest.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying they would. But to say Cinci should be declared the winner because they were leading in the 1st quarter is worse than declaring it a tie or null contest.
I didn't say that at all. I said they shouldn't accept a tie when they were winning.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why would you except a tie if you were Cincinnati? They were winning the game, had the ball at the time, and had the home crowd on your side.
Fair point, but I don’t think it’s certain they wouldn’t accept it. If the playoffs are not going to be rescheduled, the only on-field alternative will be a mid-week game, and Cincinnati may feel that it’s too risky on top of the trauma, even if they had a slight lead.

So what then? They’d need to have a tie-breaker and if I were Buffalo I wouldn’t think an early four-point lead is enough for an automatic head-to-head victory. We’ll see where things stand after this weekend.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
Meanwhile, hundreds if not thousands of Fantasy Football championship games sit in limbo, as frustrated owners counting on Bills and/or Bengals players, wait to see if the game is resumed...

Not that THAT really matters...just sayin'

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, hundreds if not thousands of Fantasy Football championship games sit in limbo, as frustrated owners counting on Bills and/or Bengals players, wait to see if the game is resumed...

Not that THAT really matters...just sayin'

In one of my leagues, I am in the Consolation Championship. Trailing by 10 points, but I have Josh Allen...

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do any of the older board members remember when Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions died on the field against the Bears? Pretty sure he was a back up WR. He returned to the huddle after a play & just dropped. Pretty sure it was back in the early 70’s. The NFL didn’t have the protocols in place back then, so Chuck had zero chance of survival. Praying that Damar continues to fight and survives this horrible nightmare.

I remember when it happened and I thought of it last night. But it seemed too tasteless to mention when we still had no idea of what was actually going on.

Seeing something awful happen is so much worse than reading about it later.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Do any of the older board members remember when Chuck Hughes of the Detroit Lions died on the field against the Bears? Pretty sure he was a back up WR. He returned to the huddle after a play & just dropped. Pretty sure it was back in the early 70’s. The NFL didn’t have the protocols in place back then, so Chuck had zero chance of survival. Praying that Damar continues to fight and survives this horrible nightmare.
I vaguely recall it. Howard Cosell mentioned it during his MNF halftime highlights show. See:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skip is a tool. I don't think his tweet was anything to get in an uproar about and he's said/tweeted much worse through the years. But, I can't fathom why that jackwagon is still on the air, he is insufferable.
I bet part of it is the ex-NFL player vs never played aspect. Seeing that hit, and what it did (and many hits like that a game) and the randomness of the exact timing to do what it did, has shaken many NFL and former players in a way we can't imagine.