Hopkins Wants Out?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'll never understand people obsessed with getting rid of our best players in a losing season.

The key is to keep your best players and surround them with better players. This team isn't going to improve taking a 1/100 shot on finding a better safety than Budda Baker; it's going to improve by taking a 3:4 shot at finding a better DL than Leki Fotu.
Let’s trade Kyler for Derek Carr.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'll never understand people obsessed with getting rid of our best players in a losing season.

The key is to keep your best players and surround them with better players. This team isn't going to improve taking a 1/100 shot on finding a better safety than Budda Baker; it's going to improve by taking a 3:4 shot at finding a better DL than Leki Fotu.
FWIW, I didn't start this thread with the intention of building a case for bailing on D-Hop... Though, I guess if the team feels Kyler will miss games next season, I can understand the thinking of using next year to re-position the team within the cap, and focus more on '24 and beyond...

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
In my world, I can see and accept your logic, but also see the logic in Kyler being the center of the dysfunction.

When Hop came to the team and agreed on his massive extension, what was different then from now? What was in place then, that could’ve made Hop feel the team was poised for success? IMHO, it was Kyler… I’m speculating of course, just as we all are in every thread & post on this forum. But IMHO, Hop may very well have come to the realization that the person he thought it was worth hitching his wagon to, ain’t worth it after all…

Or... just like any kid on the playground his desire is to catch the winning TD in the SB...and its clear that aint happening here in the time he has left.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Or... just like any kid on the playground his desire is to catch the winning TD in the SB...and its clear that aint happening here in the time he has left.
100% Chuck... We're all just speculating... But, as is always the case these days, the Cards are once again dealing with a tremendous amount of uncertainty up & down the organization, with the trend-line looking about as awful as it gets. :(

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I certainly hope the organization is doing the work right now and communicating with a short list of replacements for GM and HC.
That said, this roster isn't (shouldn't be) doing anything until those pieces are conferred with, determined, and signed to contract.

MB has really painted his ass into a spot (I really wonder what his family/the other stakeholders think about him at this point).

My grandfather was big into spending the money on the quality items:

Toyota Motors
Remington 870 Shotguns (The ones produced pre 95, not the knockoff/imposters)
3/4" Plywood for the roof, not OSB
Craftsman or Husky, not Duralast
Danner boots, not the ish you buy from payless
Thick cut ribeyes for $15-22/lbs, not round steak from Fry's for Christmas dinner.

I have a 97 tacoma with 512k mi on it, the same wingmaster he bought me in 93, and the same set of craftsman tools he bought in the 60/70's passed to me. My grandpas rationale was: "buy the right (ish) the first time grandson, otherwise you will be replacing the cheap stuff all the time. You will save more money buying quality son."

MB needs to take a long look in the mirror and ask himself if he (his family) is willing to do what it takes to build a legitimate winner. If he still wants to stay in the "game," he has to go back and replace all the ish he bought at walmart with legitimate parts.

He is going to have to spend some money.

Or he can just salvage the project and liquidate everything. Lucky for him, the measly $80 million investment they made in the early 2000's (on a $500m stadium) rose the value of the franchise from $330million in 1999 to $4B today.

My hope is they sell and go enjoy themselves. Michael can still possibly be part of committees, fly owners in his private jet(S), and live out his longing for being the "cool/in kid."

Im so down on this organization.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Hop's salary for 2023 and 2024 is $19.5m and $14.5m -- with bonus amortization, he has a $30m cap hit next year

he is also 30 currently -- and while his play style suggests he has a few more good years left, you never know

if the team can get good draft pick comp back -- late first rounder or equivalent -- I think you have to do it. If Hop were 27 I probably feel differently

i love Hop and he would be impossible to 100% replace -- but i would rather use those cap dollars on Zach Allen and (i guess) Byron Murphy --

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hop's salary for 2023 and 2024 is $19.5m and $14.5m -- with bonus amortization, he has a $30m cap hit next year

he is also 30 currently -- but his play style suggests he has a few more good years left

i love Hop and he would be impossible to 100% replace -- but i would rather use those cap dollars on Zach Allen and (i guess) Byron Murphy --
The only reason you trade Hop is if you are planning on moving on from Kyler. If you are keeping Kyler, you almost have to keep Hop because Kyler is even worse without him.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The only reason you trade Hop is if you are planning on moving on from Kyler. If you are keeping Kyler, you almost have to keep Hop because Kyler is even worse without him.
presumably, the task of the new HC is to turn Kyler into a QB not entirely reliant on having DHop on the field

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The structure of Hops contract implied a decision point this offseason.

when Hollywood was acquired, there was some speculation that he was the heir apparent with that decision point on Hops contract coming

with Kylers injury -- the 2023 season has to be treated like a reset year --- clean up your cap situation, get your new FO and HC up to speed and spend the first half of 2023 setting the stage for Kylers return in the back half of the year --

add another good draft when you are drafting in the high teens -- and prep for a 2 or 3 year run beginning in 2024

that means: trade DHop for the best draft package possible

I would like to get at least a few games of Hop, Hollywood, Rondale and Dortch, with Kyler but seems that may never happen

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless you have a stacked WR corps, every QB would be worse without their WR1.

But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get draft capital for a player at his best value when you’re going through a huge regime change.

Like @GatorAZ, let’s not make the same mistake the FO did with Peterson.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Only reason?

Another is that Kyler may miss the first few months of the season, and, as such, we are unlikely to contend, so the Cards use 2023 to clean up the Cap. Kyler's future with the team is hardly contingent on how they deal with DHop. They are not joined at the hip.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Someone said Lindley has a higher football IQ than a two time Pro Bowler and Heisman trophy winner.
I had not seen that one post when I replied. That post was indeed off. The rest? Lindley, for as bad as he was in that game, had a better playoff rating in that game than Kyler did in his. That's how godawful Kyler was, opponent be damned.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone said Lindley has a higher football IQ than a two time Pro Bowler and Heisman trophy winner.
The Heisman Trophy is overrated when discussing NFL QBs. Only two QBs have ever won the Heisman Trophy in college and gone on to also win a Super Bowl in the NFL.

Roger Staubach and Jim Plunkett each won 2 SBs.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The money is paid. This is accounting under the Cap. The cards take a $22m dead money hit but add his salary ($8m) to their available Cap in 2023. As soon as it's known that Dhop is being shopped, the price goes down. It's a buyer, not a seller's market. The Cards won't get a #1, let alone two. If moving on is the plan, they'll take the highest bid and move on.

If KM is out for the first few months of the season, there's no compelling football reason to keep him at this point.
These posts always amaze me. Is someone going to play for free in Hopkins spot? Your taking a giant chunk out of the offense. I presume you’re going to get a replacement. That person’s salary and first year of their prorated signing bonus would go against that $8 million salary. That’s not a huge amount to hire a new number one receiver! It might actually cost more that $8 million.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The Heisman Trophy is overrated when discussing NFL QBs. Only two QBs have ever won the Heisman Trophy in college and gone on to also win a Super Bowl in the NFL.

Roger Staubach and Jim Plunkett each won 2 SBs.
Didn’t say anything about present or future performance, just addressing the insane Lindley comps.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
These posts always amaze me. Is someone going to play for free in Hopkins spot? Your taking a giant chunk out of the offense. I presume you’re going to get a replacement. That person’s salary and first year of their prorated signing bonus would go against that $8 million salary. That’s not a huge amount to hire a new number one receiver! It might actually cost more that $8 million.

The #1 receiver in 2023 under the scenario suggested is Hollywood, and under a new contract, his salary and bonus in year one of his deal could be less than his $13m fifth-year option. Cutting Anderson adds $12m to the Cap, and we could offer him a one-year deal that could rehab his prospects in 2024, or we find another vet for the short term.

I'm more concerned with the offence in 2024 than what we are likely to have in 2023, given KM's truncated season.

Simply put, DHop, at his age, has more value as a chip that allows us to put the ancien regime behind us.

Last edited:

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

It's not wanting to get rid of Hop but positioning the team for the future. The cupboard is bare and it's going to take a couple years to get back on track. There's no reason to waste his last couple peak years on a losing team when we can get pieces back to help rebuild.

It would be a different story if this team had 7 or 8 wins due to a couple bad breaks instead of a 4 win team that has only 29 players under contract for next year right now including guys like Hudson and Robbie Anderson. There's a million holes to fill and right now only about $24m in cap space (per overthecap). It really amazes me the state that Keim has this team in.