Ineresting Thought from the Washington Post

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think Houston would trade both #1 s for Murray? I’d be up for letting him walk if they would take his contract. Let him go back to Texas. Love to get Edge Anderson, Edge Murphy, RB Robinson or DL Carter with first two picks then Levis for a prospect with sites to start in 2024. Levis can work behind Minshew or McCoy for a year or two. Or maybe stretch for Bo Nix in the 2nd round. Nix seems like a gamer and played pretty well this year. With three picks on top 10-12 picks, we’d control the draft and could trade back to obtain as many 2nd and 3rd rounders as possible to stock up on OL.
No way.

He’s beyond damaged goods right now. His value was as a running QB, who’s now shown to be very injury prone, not a great pocket passer and coming off a major injury.

And he’s just signed a MASSIVE contract.

No one is giving up two 1s for all those question marks. I’d be surprised if we could even get a 2nd rounder for him at this point. Too much money invested into too many question marks.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Do you think Houston would trade both #1 s for Murray? I’d be up for letting him walk if they would take his contract. Let him go back to Texas. Love to get Edge Anderson, Edge Murphy, RB Robinson or DL Carter with first two picks then Levis for a prospect with sites to start in 2024. Levis can work behind Minshew or McCoy for a year or two. Or maybe stretch for Bo Nix in the 2nd round. Nix seems like a gamer and played pretty well this year. With three picks on top 10-12 picks, we’d control the draft and could trade back to obtain as many 2nd and 3rd rounders as possible to stock up on OL.
They can’t take his contract. The cap doesn’t work that way. The owners want to discourage these big contract even though they keep giving them. Add in the fact even if Murray was affordable I can’t see any team giving 2 number ones for him. They’d be lucky to get one.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
If I were Bidwill, instead of paying KM all that money, I would simply sell the Cards for a couple billion and walk away. Seriously, if it were me I would definitely dump this team and go buy a minor league baseball team if I wanted to have some fun by owning a team.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just like always once they start watching the qb prospects in 1 on 1's the teams will begin to see what they want to see out of the QB prospects and start to over value them.

To me it is always more about teams desperation for a QB than the actual quality of the QB prospects. Teams will talk themselves into seeing what they want to see if they want it bad enough.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Just like always once they start watching the qb prospects in 1 on 1's the teams will begin to see what they want to see out of the QB prospects and start to over value them.

To me it is always more about teams desperation for a QB than the actual quality of the QB prospects. Teams will talk themselves into seeing what they want to see if they want it bad enough.
Yep. The year Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, and Kizer were drafted, everyone in the pre-draft process was questioning if any of them would go in the first round, and look at how that turned out. I bet we'll see three go in the top ten.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. The year Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, and Lamar were drafted, everyone in the pre-draft process was questioning if any of them would go in the first round, and look at how that turned out. I bet we'll see three go in the top ten.
1. None of them were being questioned going in the first round, lol.

2. Lamar wasn’t in that class.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
1. None of them were being questioned going in the first round, lol.

2. Lamar wasn’t in that class.
USA Today: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/20...-deshaun-watson-patrick-mahomes-deshone-kizer
That shows Watson and Mahomes out of the first round. Kizer and Trubisky in the first.

Walter Football: https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php
Read some of this - including quotes like "I surveyed teams around the league to see where their initial draft grades were for Watson. Two playoff teams told me they had third-round grades on Watson. One said it was on the low end as a third- to fourth-rounder. Another playoff team told Walt that they had a third-round grade on Watson. Two other teams said they had second-round grades on Watson." and "Two other teams said they had Mahomes in the third round, while one playoff general manager said he had him in Round 4. The NFL Draft Advisory board gave him a second-round estimate."

AZCentral has lots of links here: https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-kizer-mitch-trubisky-others-stand/97700896/

NFL.com: https://www.nfl.com/news/2017-nfl-d...b-class-lacking-elite-talent-0ap3000000799332
Not only mentioning a lack of elite talent in the headline, you get lines like "there has been plenty of negative publicity about this season's quarterback class" and "it's not a great class, but it has potential."

I'm not going to pull up more links, but you get the point. Also, sorry for the 2nd mistake, I meant Kizer, not Lamar.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
USA Today: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/20...-deshaun-watson-patrick-mahomes-deshone-kizer
That shows Watson and Mahomes out of the first round. Kizer and Trubisky in the first.

Walter Football: https://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php
Read some of this - including quotes like "I surveyed teams around the league to see where their initial draft grades were for Watson. Two playoff teams told me they had third-round grades on Watson. One said it was on the low end as a third- to fourth-rounder. Another playoff team told Walt that they had a third-round grade on Watson. Two other teams said they had second-round grades on Watson." and "Two other teams said they had Mahomes in the third round, while one playoff general manager said he had him in Round 4. The NFL Draft Advisory board gave him a second-round estimate."

AZCentral has lots of links here: https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...e-kizer-mitch-trubisky-others-stand/97700896/

NFL.com: https://www.nfl.com/news/2017-nfl-d...b-class-lacking-elite-talent-0ap3000000799332
Not only mentioning a lack of elite talent in the headline, you get lines like "there has been plenty of negative publicity about this season's quarterback class" and "it's not a great class, but it has potential."

I'm not going to pull up more links, but you get the point. Also, sorry for the 2nd mistake, I meant Kizer, not Lamar.
You pulled up, what? 4-5 people?

I don’t see how everyone was questioning them going in the first round when all 3 of them got traded up for.

Now, questioning them falling in the first? Sure, that’s believable. Hell, we(as in a lot of people on this board) had a whole conversation leading up to the draft about drafting those guys in the first.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bo Nix??? Really? I watched him tonight & couldn't be more unimpressed.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You pulled up, what? 4-5 people?

I don’t see how everyone was questioning them going in the first round when all 3 of them got traded up for.

Now, questioning them falling in the first? Sure, that’s believable. Hell, we(as in a lot of people on this board) had a whole conversation leading up to the draft about drafting those guys in the first.
Bro, I don't have infinite time to pull up every article about them, especially since it's been five years, and old mock drafts and such are archived. If you want to put in the legwork yourself, feel free to dig through ASFN discussions at the time. I actually wanted to draft Mahomes or Watson (to some degree I was willing to look at Trubisky), so I remember the thorough conversations being had about how we could easily trade back and that these guys weren't that great. That we should wait a year.

They weren't unanimous first rounders, and seeing DeShone Kizer at the top of lists should be enough to show you that.

QB investment has risen for years now, even with some doubts about players.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
What does your top 5 look like on the Cardinals war room draft board?
I’m assuming you‘re asking just the raw five if they had a top 5 pick and didn‘t move down. Philosophically I believe in the modified BPA theory. That is you identify needs upon whom you would be willing to spend a round 1 pick. In the Cards case that would be DL, CB and marginally OL. The latter is marginal because of the depth of the OL pool.

1 Jalen Carter
2 Will Anderson
3 Bryan Bresee
4 Christian Gonzalez
5 Tyree Wilson

The only player I would stay put to get is Carter. Otherwise I would trade down if the option was good. You still might get 3,4,& 5 depending on how far the Cards dropped. Keep in mind workouts could change this.

eastcoastDave

Veteran
Reaction score
If any team would trade two No. 1s for Murray, I’d take that deal faster than a rest stop egg salad sandwich goes through a trucker’s digestive system. I’d probably take a 1 and 3 for Kyler. It’s not that I’m not enamored with his talents, because I am, I just think he isn’t a leader and not a sufficient student of the game to learn how to read defenses. Kyler is likely to find that in future years his enormous contract will prevent the team from putting players around him that will allow him to win games.

Big_Red_One

Rookie
Reaction score
eastcoastDave,
Could not agree more on Kyler. Would take a 1 and 3 for him in current state and contract (if SK is not our GM). The question remains if KM1 really wants to be great and willingly puts in the extra effort to be a student of the game. His first two years were good as you could see incremental improvements with bursts of amazing skills. Is that enough to take on that contract?

SOCALCARD

Rookie
Reaction score
If any team would trade two No. 1s for Murray, I’d take that deal faster than a rest stop egg salad sandwich goes through a trucker’s digestive system. I’d probably take a 1 and 3 for Kyler. It’s not that I’m not enamored with his talents, because I am, I just think he isn’t a leader and not a sufficient student of the game to learn how to read defenses. Kyler is likely to find that in future years his enormous contract will prevent the team from putting players around him that will allow him to win games.
I had a burrito yesterday from a run down taco shop in Gila Bend go through me quicker than that on my way home to San Diego. Profuse sweating and cramping until I made it to Yuma. Absolutely destroyed the bathroom at a Chili's there. I hear its's still closed.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Would love to get two ones for Murray then take Levis.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson