Who's your candidate to take over as GM?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
1) Will McClay-Cowpies

2) Peyton Manning

3) Louis Riddick

In that order. Go very very hard after McClay because he’s built that talented roster in Dallas for many seasons now. Was even a very successful AFL HC in Dallas years ago

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I don´t have any good suggestions, however whoever it is, I hope he is black. That way it would be a lot less likely that he would be a total screw up. Plus I would love to p... off all the AZ rednecks. Oh, I got it ..... Stephen A. Smith impersonator.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not against Wilson or Harris necessarily. Plenty of times I've sat in a meeting and not agreed with my boss on a decision. However, it would certainly be interesting to see an outside hire even if it's just to inject some new perspectives.
Yes—amen.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I don't have a pick. With that said, I want 2 things to happen.

1. They actually keep the indefinite part of Keim's absence.
2. They do not hire AW Or Quentin Harris. We need fresh blood.
I agree with this, especially #2. AW and Harris have only worked for the Cardinals (mostly with Keim). We need to hire someone outside the organization and start over fresh.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The probLen with Harris or Wilson is the way the draft works. Keim catches quite a bit of well deserved heat. However, typically there is at least some consensus among the scouting staff on the board construction and the final selection. So if the Cards fill the GM slot internally, I expect the personnel philosophy likely won’t substantially change. The scouts tell you who are the best players. You can look at film, but seeing top players live is the way to do it. You have to trust those scouts or why use them. Someone from the outside would likely bring in at least a few new evaluators.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The probLen with Harris or Wilson is the way the draft works. Keim catches quite a bit of well deserved heat. However, typically there is at least some consensus among the scouting staff on the board construction and the final selection. So if the Cards fill the GM slot internally, I expect the personnel philosophy likely won’t substantially change. The scouts tell you who are the best players. You can look at film, but seeing top players live is the way to do it. You have to trust those scouts or why use them. Someone from the outside would likely bring in at least a few new evaluators.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I will bet that back in the day when the old man ran the team they spent about $100.00 on magazines printed on cheap paper, listened to back bencher sports radio shows and that is how they "scouted" for the draft...anyway if the current braintrusts hire either Wilson or Harris that will be a gurantee that KK remains coach...because those two would be desperate enough to do whatever the big man recommends. Only step in the right direction is new blood that would insist on making the choices for all field managment. Out.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If they go internally, nothing prevents hiring a senior draft 'consultant' to assist in triaging the scouting reports; a new set of eyes, so to speak.

Until proved wrong, I'm inclined to think the new 'senior' org. chart will be:

1. Quentin Harris (GM)
2. Adrian Wilson (Senior VP)
3. Dru Grigson (VP personnel)
4. Chris Culmer (Dir. Scouting)

Last edited:

Harry

Reaction score
I will bet that back in the day when the old man ran the team they spent about $100.00 on magazines printed on cheap paper, listened to back bencher sports radio shows and that is how they "scouted" for the draft...anyway if the current braintrusts hire either Wilson or Harris that will be a gurantee that KK remains coach...because those two would be desperate enough to do whatever the big man recommends. Only step in the right direction is new blood that would insist on making the choices for all field managment. Out.
Sadly likely much truth I this. The best part was he’d send his GM out to interview the possible early round draft picks to see who would sign for the cheapest. This finally resulted in draft Clyde Duncan even though many didn’t even have him in round 1. He caught 4 passes in his career. Even Jim Hanifan said, “He couldn’t play.” The NFL subsequently passed a rule barring prior negotiation unless you had the top unsigned draft pick.

Harry

Reaction score
If they go internally, nothing prevents hiring a senior draft 'consultant' to assist in triaging the scouting reports; a new set of eyes, so to speak.

Until proved wrong, I'm inclined to think the new 'senior' org. chart will be:

1. Quentin Harris (GM)
2. Adrian Wilson (Senior VP)
3. Dru Grigson (VP personnel)
4. Chris Culmer (Dir. Scouting)
Teams do that. Essentially scouts and stringers are consultants. The problem arises with egos. If you’re the GM do you go with your opinion or that of a consultant? There are open minded GMs but quite a few go the other way.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Teams do that. Essentially scouts and stringers are consultants. The problem arises with egos. If you’re the GM do you go with your opinion or that of a consultant? There are open minded GMs but quite a few go the other way.

Well, I'd expect that after the triage, the boards are set through a to-and-fro between the senior three/four on staff and that, in the end, the GM makes the final decision. If we believe the video I've seen from the Cards draft table, there was a consensus on the top picks in recent drafts.

Harry

Reaction score
Well, I'd expect that after the triage, the boards are set through a to-and-fro between the senior three/four on staff and that, in the end, the GM makes the final decision. If we believe the video I've seen from the Cards draft table, there was a consensus on the top picks in recent drafts.
What often happens besides people talking BPA is a team goes into a draft with a philosophy. I’ve said I believe Keim’s braintrust (I know) saw what Tampa did with LBs in their Super Bowl year and sought to emulate it as the future of defense. You might be able to argue Simmons fit as a BPA, but I don’t think you could make the same case for Collins. Once you establish a philosophy it shapes the selection options.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wish I could disagree with you Jeff. It is going to be Tweedle Dee or Twiddle Dum as the stars are line up for that and that means guess who stays as head coach. I think a two Chirstmas gifts for the big man would have been two books..." How to Win Friends and Influence Peope" and a book covering basic math. They will go hand and hand with season ticket sales going into the toilet, game ticket sales going the same way and a hoard of people totally PO'd with the decision of keeping the same all stars around the office...ciao.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
1) Will McClay-Cowpies

2) Peyton Manning

3) Louis Riddick

In that order. Go very very hard after McClay because he’s built that talented roster in Dallas for many seasons now. Was even a very successful AFL HC in Dallas years ago
You read my mind Buckybird, the Cowboys know how to draft

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose