I was wrong…what about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we went with Kingsbury I was excited and happy with his hire. I knew of the losing record but I also knew Texas Tech was not going to draw recruits like other schools. I saw and hoped for another McVay. At first it seemed to be working out. With a young exciting rookie QB who was sure to flourish and grow the future looked exciting. Instead the NFL caught up with Kingsbury and his lack of adjustments and growth. I was wrong.
When the Cardinals drafted Murray I was excited with finally having a dynamic mobile QB. At times he was a human highlight real with issues that he was bound to shed. Injuries certainly squelched some enthusiasm but hey, injuries happen. Then it happened again and then again. The biggest disappointment was his lack of growth. immaturity and leadership. I was wrong.

Maybe Murray can be salvaged with better coaching and offensive philosophy. One that reallys on Murray just being a qb and not a super human athlete expected to carry an offense 60 minutes a game.

It’s not hard to do. What were you wrong about?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t crazy about it, but was also willing to give it the benefit of the doubt just because it was such a WILD BIG SWING and the previous off-season was predictably boring with a plan that was dead from the get go. Halfway through Season 2, i was actually pretty excited about the upward trajectory of the team. Saw Kyler as a possible perennial MVP candidate and Kliff… well, his failings started to rear their ugly head more and more but at 6-3, I was still willing to be as easy as Cheesy could and hope they were growing pains.

But that first collapse in Year 2 flashed MAJOR red lights. Hated the next off-season where I thought we built a literal house of cards. Looked OBSCENELY wrong up until I didn’t. Kyler and JJ inevitably got hurt and then that house of cards tumbled into pretty much every worst fear coming true.

Thought this off-season was even worse than the last and was unfortunately proven right there.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing I hope I'm not wrong about is KK getting the axe at the end of the season. I think it's gonna happen but the more I think about it, I convince myself I'm wrong. I can totally see Bidwill using the injuries as an excuse so he keeps him. I'm like you about KK, I knew about the losing record at TT but looked at how his offenses performed & thought we might have a HC that can light the NFL up? Of course I knew he used the Air Raid & would have to adapt his style. After the 2019 season I had hope going into 2020 because of the creativity he showed calling plays, expand on it with more weapons, didn't happen. Instead it kind of went the other way, more weapons meant more plays of Air Raid with little to no creativity so to speak. I know the percentages say otherwise (10 personnel in 2019 compared with every season since) but the main thing is no creativity so I blame that on having more weapons. Basically just line em up & get open. KK has been figured out by the NFL & he ain't a changin. Kyler I thought would be able to read a defense or KK could teach him? I was wrong about both. The thing I wasn't wrong about is his height, that'll never change, he's gonna continue to struggle seeing the middle of the field unless...................he learns to do exactly what Drew Brees did? Stand up on his toes at the LOS when he steps up in the pocket to see better for the middle throws. To end this I hope they can KK & hire Sean Payton? It may be a pipe dream but I can dream damnit lol. I truly believe Sean Payton would get the best out of Kyler & teach him how to play from under center & read a defense.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wasn’t crazy about it, but felt it was a big swing for the fences with him and Kyler and was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. Halfway through Season 2, i was actually pretty excited about the upward trajectory of the team.

But that first collapse in Year 2 flashed MAJOR red lights. Hated the next off-season where I thought we built a literal house of cards. Looked wrong up until Kyler and JJ inevitably got hurt and then that house of cards tumbled down. Thought this off-season was even worst than the last and was unfortunately proven right there.
all you can do is give whoever they hire a chance & see what happens bro. It was a long shot but we we've all known for sometime now.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When we went with Kingsbury I was excited and happy with his hire. I knew of the losing record but I also knew Texas Tech was not going to draw recruits like other schools. I saw and hoped for another McVay. At first it seemed to be working out. With a young exciting rookie QB who was sure to flourish and grow the future looked exciting. Instead the NFL caught up with Kingsbury and his lack of adjustments and growth. I was wrong.
When the Cardinals drafted Murray I was excited with finally having a dynamic mobile QB. At times he was a human highlight real with issues that he was bound to shed. Injuries certainly squelched some enthusiasm but hey, injuries happen. Then it happened again and then again. The biggest disappointment was his lack of growth. immaturity and leadership. I was wrong.

Maybe Murray can be salvaged with better coaching and offensive philosophy. One that reallys on Murray just being a qb and not a super human athlete expected to carry an offense 60 minutes a game.

It’s not hard to do. What were you wrong about?
I was excited about KK hire as well, especially heard that McVay consulted him for offense. I still hear think his X and Os are not bad, but God, KK has no clue how to use his players' strength and hide their weaknesses. He is like Ken Whisenhunt: the system works.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To be honest, Kliff is a just a shade below average head coach. You are what your record says you are .

Will Kliff become the next Andy Reid or even Mike Martz with a better franchise and system?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope… not me. Was against the hire from the day it was announced. Just wreaked of a desperate, hail-Mary move by a desperate and unwell GM… who somehow got the owner to buy into it. Ugh…
It was absolutely a Hail Mary move. I wanted Keim fired after the greatest off-season debacle ever in 2018 (until this year), so figured if the drunk idiot was going to be handed the car keys again, might as well throw a Hail Mary because our only shot at that point was gonna be dumb luck.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was skeptical about both from the beginning. But I was also willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they could catch lightning in a bottle with the combo.
However, I never saw any sort of creativity or offensive “genius” that so many tried to sell as narrative for Kliff. Never liked him a Tech and didn’t think he did anything to deserve another Head coach position in the ncaa, let alone nfl.
Kyler showed flashes with his athletic ability but never showed passion or leadership you would like to see from the outside looking in. He seemed to have more Cam Newton/Ryan Leaf traits instead of Brees/Brady

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was skeptical about both from the beginning. But I was also willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope they could catch lightning in a bottle with the combo.
However, I never saw any sort of creativity or offensive “genius” that so many tried to sell as narrative for Kliff. Never liked him a Tech and didn’t think he did anything to deserve another Head coach position in the ncaa, let alone nfl.
Kyler showed flashes with his athletic ability but never showed passion or leadership you would like to see from the outside looking in. He seemed to have more Cam Newton/Ryan Leaf traits instead of Brees/Brady
I wish Kyler showed MVP-level play like Cam did a whole season.

Lmao Jesus Christ, how do you even put Cam in the same atmosphere as Leaf?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was absolutely a Hail Mary move. I wanted Keim fired after the greatest off-season debacle ever in 2018 (until this year), so figured if the drunk idiot was going to be handed the car keys again, might as well throw a Hail Mary because our only shot at that point was gonna be dumb luck.
Yep.

No excuse for him to continue being GM after the 2018 season.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Never really liked the switch to KK. Seemed to me to be a reach. However I figured I was wrong when we were 6-3 in 2020 and even more so when the mark hit 10-2 last season. The inevitable Kollapses each year have clearly demonstrated to me that the KK hire was indeed a reach and a very poor choice. C’mon MB, due diligence please prior to the next HC hire.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Didn’t want him or Kyler. Didn't likes the Wilks either. Thought KK's track record was trash. KM is too small for QB IMO.

Had some hopes at the start but after some late season melt downs I knew we were going to be trash in time. When you have to win just 1 game at the end of the season just to get into the playoffs but laid eggs I knew it was over. When your QB knew we needed to win and couldn’t tough it out I knew he wasn’t the right guy.

All the clock management issues thats still going on just tells me KK is not cut out to be a head coach in the NFL. At that level that should be basic stuff that you have down. I get if KM sees something in the defense before they snap but its just horrible clock management. Maybe he would make a good OC but not a HC.

I didn't have high hopes for them but wanted them to prove me wrong. Almost did.. I guess there is still time since they are under contract.

Last edited:

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I thought it was the most ridiculous ish I’d ever saw. This is professional football, and we did this.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Never cared for it. It was a bizarre hire at the time and has proven to be an awful decision today. I wanted him gone after Week 17 2020 and really never wavered. Kliff seems like a good guy and would likely thrive as a college OC, but the Peter Principle is in full effect.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was not a fan of Kliff being our coach. Thought it was odd that we had a college coach in charge of our pro team and a pro coach in charge of our college team. SMH.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I was only wrong the couple of times I let a few wins cloud what I'd pretty much thought all along. Hard to really feel "wrong" in any way though, I've disliked this situation since day one.

I'm hopeful that we make some big changes that are more grounded in traditional football moves, instead of the Hail Mary I felt like we went for in hiring Kliff and letting him grab Kyler at #1.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Was against hiring KK. Felt like a desperation copycat move. Could never get past the idea that a coach who couldn't win in college and had a track record of second half collapses Could win in the NFL.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was not happy with SK putting together KK and KM , if you want all of KM,s talent displayed , go get Lincoln Riley , of course we all know they didn't do that !!

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So what happens if Kyler lights it up with a new coach and improved offensive line? Do all these blind haters just say, “oh this is different kyler than before !”…. Rather than the reality of the situation he’s lived in w a new of the worst coaches in NFL history and a **** Oline that Mahomes wouldn’t even succeed with to start his career ?

Or will all you haters truly eat crow and realize how big of a clown you have been?

Status
Not open for further replies.