New Owner - Mat Ishbia

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
If he were from San Diego or Seattle, I’d be more worried about relocation. I also dont think the owners would be too keen on an owner moving a team away from Phoenix. Hell, look at what’s happening with the Coyotes; and they have no business being in the Valley

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
If he were from San Diego or Seattle, I’d be more worried about relocation. I also dont think the owners would be too keen on an owner moving a team away from Phoenix. Hell, look at what’s happening with the Coyotes; and they have no business being in the Valley

A few years ago, when the Sacramento Kings were for sale, a group tried to purchase them with the intent to move them to Seattle. The league denied their ownership bid. If the league won’t allow Sacramento to move, they sure as hell won’t allow Phoenix.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He played for Michigan State under Tom Izzo, which is cool. J-Rich commenting is interesting. You have to wonder if any of his former teammates from Michigan will join the Suns in some capacity. Of note, he's played alongside a number of former NBA players. Jason Richardson, Mateen Cleaves, Charlie Bell, Morris Peterson, Zack Randolph, Paul Davis, Maurice Ager, and Alan Anderson. Mo Pete, J-Rich, and Z-Bo all had good long careers while the rest just had cups of coffee in the league, essentially.
Think any of those dudes ever thought the walk-on was going to have more money than all of them combined?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've said it before, I will say it again... the arena remodel leaves ZERO chance the Suns are moved at any time in the next couple decades.

The odds of them moving before the remodel were slim, the odds of them moving after the NBA and ownership petitioned a city to give them a few hundred million to fancy up an arena and sign a long term lease are literally zero.

Focus on more realistic concerns.

If the housing market collapses will our owners go bankrupt? Will Mat's background in basketball make him meddlesome? Are we going to offer Mateen Cleaves a max contract?

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Simmons commented that one aspect of this sale is setting a bar for expansion fees, which go directly to the owners, as opposed to CBA-governed revenue. Seems doubtful the owners will approve relocation from a good market over a massive windfall from expansion teams.

Charlotte was the last expansion team and their fee was 400m. While this was over 3x the previous fees, that’s nothing compared to the jump this next round will take.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons commented that one aspect of this sale is setting a bar for expansion fees, which go directly to the owners, as opposed to CBA-governed revenue. Seems doubtful the owners will approve relocation from a good market over a massive windfall from expansion teams.

Charlotte was the last expansion team and their fee was 400m. While this was over 3x the previous fees, that’s nothing compared to the jump this next round will take.

I've heard the next expansion deal is rumored to net each team/owner upwards of $50 million, easy. More than likely it'll be closer to $75 million a piece. Add in how the league likes having an even number of teams and the rumors the next expansion will add 2 teams then owners will double that since they'll get it from each team. That's almost what the Suns arena upgrade cost, which is insane.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is still lots of talk about the NBA expanding to Mexico City as sort of a gateway to Latin America.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've said it before, I will say it again... the arena remodel leaves ZERO chance the Suns are moved at any time in the next couple decades.

The odds of them moving before the remodel were slim, the odds of them moving after the NBA and ownership petitioned a city to give them a few hundred million to fancy up an arena and sign a long term lease are literally zero.

Focus on more realistic concerns.

If the housing market collapses will our owners go bankrupt? Will Mat's background in basketball make him meddlesome? Are we going to offer Mateen Cleaves a max contract?
Yes, I had the same thought about the housing market collapsing and it's affect on the new owners - because quite frankly I don't think there is any doubt it is going to collapse, the question is just how deep of a collapse and how long will it last. It is a terrible time to be a mortgage broker, and it is only going to get worse if they pass this 1.7 trillion spending bill and reignite inflation.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand Justin Ishbia will be a substantial investor as well and he is a billionaire in his own right. This should help.

Also, the Suns do have other owners.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know why people are freaking out over the Suns moving. Sarver reportedly was seeking only owners with no interest in moving the team. Ishbia and his brother will be making all the decisions. The other owners are just to fill out the investment group, so I am not worried about them. Having a billionaire who seems to have a passion for the game is likely a plus in terms of trying to win here.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've heard the next expansion deal is rumored to net each team/owner upwards of $50 million, easy. More than likely it'll be closer to $75 million a piece. Add in how the league likes having an even number of teams and the rumors the next expansion will add 2 teams then owners will double that since they'll get it from each team. That's almost what the Suns arena upgrade cost, which is insane.
I believe it will be $100m to each team for each expansion team. That could be $200m to each team with two new teams. Seattle will be one, maybe Mexico City will be another but it will be really hard to run the logistics of a team in Mexico City. I cannot imagine many NBA players actually living there. If Tijuana was safer and more stable, maybe that would work. Players could live in San Diego.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Wow the last expansion was soooo long ago.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns aren’t going anywhere they are locked into Phoenix.

Listening to Bill Simmons he called this back in September. Apparently this deal has been in the works for a minute. Said don’t be surprised in he brings a new GM with him and that would make the James Jones president of basketball operations a whole lot clearer. I know a lot of people were kind of scratching there heads at that and now it would make total sense

The names Simmons threw out? Sam Presti

Simmons also said the two new expansion teams will be in Las Vegas with Lebrons group and Seattle. This deal sets the stage for expansion fees he said.

Simmons also feels the Suns are one of the 8 best franchises to own in the NBA and with the right owner could be a powerhouse. Players like the city and it’s an hour flight to Vegas and LA.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns aren’t going anywhere they are locked into Phoenix.

Listening to Bill Simmons he called this back in September. Apparently this deal has been in the works for a minute. Said don’t be surprised in he brings a new GM with him and that would make the James Jones president of basketball operations a whole lot clearer. I know a lot of people were kind of scratching there heads at that and now it would make total sense

The names Simmons threw out? Sam Presti

Simmons also said the two new expansion teams will be in Las Vegas with Lebrons group and Seattle. This deal sets the stage for expansion fees he said.

Simmons also feels the Suns are one of the 8 best franchises to own in the NBA and with the right owner could be a powerhouse. Players like the city and it’s an hour flight to Vegas and LA.
Hmm, I really would like a GM that actually cares about the draft. Presti might care a bit to much though.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I really would like a GM that actually cares about the draft. Presti might care a bit to much though.

Presti has to rely on the draft because he's working for cheap owners who won't pay to win. OKC would have no less than 1 championship banner if they'd have paid Harden instead of dealing him to Houston. Perhaps they'd be what Golden State became. A core of Westbrook, Harden, Durant, and Ibaka is unreal and should have dominated the league for no less than a decade. 3 legit MVP's and a Defensive Player of the Year candidate together on rookie deals at one time.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not so enamored with Presti, he really screwed the pooch with some of their trades back when the Thunder were contending.

I like his focus on the draft, not wild about doing things like trading James Harden for some bench players.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not so enamored with Presti, he really screwed the pooch with some of their trades back when the Thunder were contending.

I like his focus on the draft, not wild about doing things like trading James Harden for some bench players.

Presti has been amazing.

You have to remember what Harden became was not what he was at the time. They kind of forced his hand at the time and Harden was god awful in those finals.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Presti has been amazing.

You have to remember what Harden became was not what he was at the time. They kind of forced his hand at the time and Harden was god awful in those finals.
They choose to pay and keep Perkins over giving Harden 2 million dollars a year more. And Harden was only 23, in his 3rd year in the league and was a killer in the Western Conference playoffs which helped them make those Finals. Where he was terrible.

But again, he was only 23 and just starting to scratch the surface AND not looking to break the bank. It was a total JJ situation. An absolutely idiotic, penny pinching decision that I’m sure Presti would love a do-over of over any move he’s ever made.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose