R.I.P. Franco Harris (1950-2022)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
RIP

Almost 50 years to the day/anniversary of the Immaculate Reception.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. Went to college in western PA - 1976-1980. Never a Steeler fan but became friends with many and have to say it as fun watching them. A special time for the Steelers and Pirates. Rest in Peace Franco Harris.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My next door neighbor was great friends with Franco. He said Franco was an awesome guy. Franco was my favorite Steeler along with Jack Lambert.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Just heard him being interviewed yesterday afternoon by Mad Dog Russo! Wow… RIP to the truly GREAT Franco Harris!

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not a Steelers fan either, but can still vividly recall my jaw-dropping reaction watching the immaculate reception (via replay of course—no one watching on TV was sure what was occurring when it happened live). Perhaps even more impressive was his signature toughness in refusing to finish a run by going out of bounds. Lastly, as a fellow Italian I was always a Franco fan…the man even had his own army (Franco’s Italian Army)!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shocking & such sad news. As a kid back in the late 60’s, my parish invited Joe Paterno to attend our father/son sports night in the basement of our church. Paterno agrees to come & brings along like 5 players, including Franco Harris. Can you imagine something like that happening now?? And this was in Syracuse, NY where PSU was Syracuse’s arch rivals. I won a raffled football & got to take a picture with the group. Still have it! Franco’s Mom was Italian & he spoke Italian with my Dad. Needless to say, he was my Dad’s favorite after that. We hated the Steelers, but always loved Franco. He was a gamer for sure. The bigger the game, the better he was. RIP Franco!!!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shocking & such sad news. As a kid back in the late 60’s, my parish invited Joe Paterno to attend our father/son sports night in the basement of our church. Paterno agrees to come & brings along like 5 players, including Franco Harris. Can you imagine something like that happening now?? And this was in Syracuse, NY where PSU was Syracuse’s arch rivals. I won a raffled football & got to take a picture with the group. Still have it! Franco’s Mom was Italian & he spoke Italian with my Dad. Needless to say, he was my Dad’s favorite after that. We hated the Steelers, but always loved Franco. He was a gamer for sure. The bigger the game, the better he was. RIP Franco!!!
Great story!

RIP Franco!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
RIP to Franco and condolences to his family, friends and Steelers nation. I'm sad that he never got to experience being honored as they planned to do this weekend.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Something I learned this week...this was the first postseason TD in Steelers history.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Also, the Steelers didn't win the Super Bowl that year, although this was their first ever playoff win. Also, if the ball had hit Frenchie Fuqua (sp?) first, as some still claim he did, then the play would have been dead. Also, the refs huddles for fifteen minutes and even illegally called upstairs to an NFL rep, unofficially reviewing the play. Finally, whether or not it's true, the compelling rumor is that they decided to uphold the play because the refs were afraid for their lives if they overturned it :D