Suns updates and discussion for the 2022-23 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Booker is in a class of his own and I'm growing tired of the Kobe comparisons. He won't be the next Kobe, he's the first Devin Booker and I think that can mean much more over time. He has all the tools and drive to be a perennial MVP candidate and that's amazing considering his scouting report coming into the league. He's a special talent and I hope he stays in Phoenix for the remainder of his career and brings us a title.

I think Kobe was too caught up in being the next MJ that it wasn't until the very end of his career when he tore his Achilles that people started recognizing him for who he was rather than comparing him to Jordan. I don't want the same thing for Booker.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This stat isn’t even close to being right.

MJ had 8 games in 1986-87 alone where he scored 50 or more and he was only 23 at that point.

He had something like 25 50 point games by the time he was Book’s age.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
This stat isn’t even close to being right.

MJ had 8 games in 1986-87 alone where he scored 50 or more and he was only 23 at that point.

He had something like 25 50 point games by the time he was Book’s age.

On top of the graphic it says “since 2000“.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me this doesn't sound legit...

I don't think it's right. Shamet is shooting .368 from three last season and .363 this season.

He has made 33 three's this season alone.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Not bad for a guy that is over the hill and completely done playing good basketball. I was always very skeptical of the idea that he suddenly hit some sort of wall and thought he was just having a slow start.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not bad for a guy that is over the hill and completely done playing good basketball. I was always very skeptical of the idea that he suddenly hit some sort of wall and thought he was just having a slow start.
More likely last night was a fluke.

With old stars they still have 1 offs every now and then where they look like their old selves.

Of course I hope I am wrong, but I have seen a lot more bad play from him recently than good, and I think it is wishful thinking to think the old CP3 is suddenly back.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

With old stars they still have 1 offs every now and then where they look like their old selves.

Of course I hope I am wrong, but I have seen a lot more bad play from him recently than good, and I think it is wishful thinking to think the old CP3 is suddenly back.
I think he's clearly in decline but at least he's declining from the pinacle of his profession. I'm hoping though that he can still play like he did the season before where he would turn back the hands of time for a few minutes in the 4th quarter. But with his various injuries, some that seem to still linger (hand, wrist etc.) it's sometimes tough to distinguish between decline and injury.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

He has been good for 5 of the last 6 games. This lends itself more to the idea that he was getting his legs underneath him.

Also, I am not making the argument that he is as good as ever, but that the comments about him being old and done were simply over the top.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's right. Shamet is shooting .368 from three last season and .363 this season.

He has made 33 three's this season alone.

I know it wasn't accurate but it sure feels that way watching him. He's off far more than he's on. I'll give him credit for stepping up when he's needed to start in place of Booker but outside of those games he's been a disappointment. I did like the PG experiment in the playoffs and wouldn't mind seeing Monty try doing that more often but with Cam Payne seemingly returning to form, PG minutes aren't available for an experiment.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it wasn't accurate but it sure feels that way watching him. He's off far more than he's on. I'll give him credit for stepping up when he's needed to start in place of Booker but outside of those games he's been a disappointment. I did like the PG experiment in the playoffs and wouldn't mind seeing Monty try doing that more often but with Cam Payne seemingly returning to form, PG minutes aren't available for an experiment.

I think Shamet is more of a combo guard than a point guards. When his shot is on it's a thing of beauty. When it's not, all one can do is shake their head.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's clearly in decline but at least he's declining from the pinacle of his profession. I'm hoping though that he can still play like he did the season before where he would turn back the hands of time for a few minutes in the 4th quarter. But with his various injuries, some that seem to still linger (hand, wrist etc.) it's sometimes tough to distinguish between decline and injury.
I think the best we can hope for is he’s able to play the same role Jason Kidd played for that 2011 Mavs club. Make smart play, hit timely 3s and just be a calming presence on the court.

In looking at our roster, that’s prob the best comp for this team as far as winning the title. Both teams revolves around just 1 superstar and a bunch of really good role players. That said, that was kind of a miracle run the Mavs went on and Dirk was a bit of a better unicorn beast than Book, the ultimate matchup nightmare.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And then the Washington clunker hit.

He’s not “done,” he just can’t bring the highest level consistently enough right now. Age does eventually catch up to even the greats.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
And then the Washington clunker hit.

He’s not “done,” he just can’t bring the highest level consistently enough right now. Age does eventually catch up to even the greats.
I think it has a lot to do with the 2nd of a back to back. Recovering overnight becomes much more difficult as you get older. Fortunately we don't play a ton of those.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. I hate stats that limit records for completely arbitrary reasons.
To be fair "since 2000" isn't that arbitrary since it includes the last 22 years which isn't insignificant. That last 20 years of anything is pretty significant. I get what you are saying though. Those stats they throw out there like this that have some arbitrary time frames are really annoying. Those and the ones where they include like 10 qualifying circumstances.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Siakam 52/9/7 last night still wouldn’t trade Bridges for him.
I'm one of Mikal's biggest supporters here and of course I'd make that deal. I'm pretty sure that's true of most of us but the question becomes what else would we have to include to make it happen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the SSuns sale closes (I accept that that's what's holding up deals) I wonder if anyone would want Cameron Johnson based on how he can probably play when healthy. The need for a tall forward who rebounds is so desperate that if someone offered one in exchange for Johnson, I would listen if the offer wasn't insulting on its face.

The second reason to be willing to trade Cameron Johnson is money. How are the Suns supposed to eventually shell out another max?
I'm sure there'd be some interest in CamJ but considering his injury history and the fact he's finishing out his current contract, I can't imagine he'd bring back much in return.