POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Rams don't seem so attractive right now. Hard to re-build with no draft picks.
They sacrified everything for a SuperBowl, they were lucky to get one. But now for the next half decade they are a rebuild. They don't have a first round pick in the next 2 Drafts and next to no second round pick. Best case they trade Jalen Ramsey to get a 2nd maybe a first, but not sure after this years showing. And people that retire don't account to compensatory picks, so nothing there as well.

Basically they have to build a team trough draft, because they don't have money and they only can use some 2nd rounder and manly 3rd to 7th rounder.

No GM can achieve that, expect he is from the future and knows every late round "hit" that fits the Rams.

The biggest Problem thought is, they have no QB so now they probably need to sign a bridge QB like Mayfield to at least a 2-3 year deal which will hamper them further but since the earliest first round QB they could get is at the end of that time frame, they probably need to do that. You can't even suck for a QB or great player.

So from this point of view, idealy they draft OL/DL/CB/OLB with ther 2nd and 3rd rounder and ILB/WR/FS/SS/TE/ Backup QB with the later rounds in hope that they find something in the next 2 years so that as soon as they can draft a starting QB they have the chance to put him behind a O-line that works and he has a D that is somehow competent. But again this is by all means a complete rebuild. And like you stated, that isn't attractive, probably not even for McVay. The Rams would be wise to trade McVay for a #1 rounder XD ... that would with that they could at least build faster a competitive team.

Overall Rams isn't a good job to get. If McVay takes a time off, they will struggle to find a great HC.

For the rest, I don't know what Sean Payton wants to do, he has a winning record and won with Drew Brees one Super Bowl after his DC set a Bounty on Kurt Warner while we probably would have won without Kurt geting "killed".

Do I think he can win here, yes. Is he way better than Kliff yes. Is he better than BA, yes. But again, I don't know if he can elevate Kyler to the next level.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
It's not at all strange when you read the quote and see that he is equating functional leadership with the ability to win. Which we have done.

He says he doesn't want to go to an Org where his ability to win is handcuffed. That isn't here.

Weirdly nobody was complaining about Mike's leadership abilities when we went to a Superbowl or when BA was here. Funny that.

Mike can be a problem, but not to the extent that he would stop someone like Payton winning. Or any head coach. In fact Mike has shown that he's willing to take leaps of faith and risks to give his HC's what they need.

Mike's issues are entrenched in meddling in things that should be left solely to a GM. I can't think of anything he's done that would get in the way of any HC doing what they want to do.

He's a helicopter parent, not a Tiger Mom.
Just a thought - He could also be referring to allowing him to have GM duties or pick his GM so not to be handcuffed.

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a thought - He could also be referring to allowing him to have GM duties or pick his GM so not to be handcuffed.

That would almost certainly happen with Payton I would expect. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Ireland as his pocket GM.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
This roster is about to be a ghost town after trade demands and FA attrition. Zero people will want this job. Especially not Payton. That's my view. We'll end up with an up and comer or also ran - neither of whom will have the clout to demand to be or choose their own GM. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking you can all save this post to revisit later and cry over it.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton would want control which Bidwill would not give him. The Cards are a dysfunctional franchise not very appealing to solid candidates for either GM or HC positions.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Payton would want control which Bidwill would not give him. The Cards are a dysfunctional franchise not very appealing to solid candidates for either GM or HC positions.
in his past -- he gave control to Denny and also ceded lots of control to Arians

its not without precedence

i think the thing that might scare Mike is that Payton did preside over NO getting into some deep cap trouble that still hasnt really been addressed

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Payton isn’t happening.

I wouldn’t want to work under Bidwill either if I was Payton.

swagron

All Star
Reaction score
in his past -- he gave control to Denny and also ceded lots of control to Arians

its not without precedence

i think the thing that might scare Mike is that Payton did preside over NO getting into some deep cap trouble that still hasnt really been addressed
Yep. Not sure why everyone is so high on this guy except he’s a name I suppose. He left the Saints when things got rough under is doing.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yep. Not sure why everyone is so high on this guy except he’s a name I suppose. He left the Saints when things got rough under is doing.

His final (2021) season without Brees was better than several seasons he had prior

He coached for 15 years and it was the end of Brees' career, probably took a lot out of him in general. Maybe he didn't know what he wanted to do with his life. Also, their salary cap shenanigans were catching up to them as well. He was done with NO.

Also, he made the Saints relevant. They were pretty much Cardinals/Lions/Browns level, or worse.

Last edited:

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He might, but only for Payton. It was done for Denny, for sure. He's smart enough to look at the last 4 years and realize a big change is needed, I think.

OP
OP
Totally_Red

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Payton is a long shot but I could see Michael wanting him after the debacle of the last season and a half. It would be the one and only move that would excite the fan base or what's left of it.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Payton to the Cards just seems impractical. He has 2 years remaining on his Saints contract. That means the league will require compensation. This eliminates the Rams as a destination. I think it also eliminates the Cards. The anticipated compensation is 2 first and 2 second roun choices. This means the Cards with a record number of holes (IMO), cannot fill those deficiencies through the draft. Since the Cards are notoriously unwilling to fudge the cap, this team just couldn’t be repaired missing those picks. Add in that if Murray can’t be fixed, Payton would have to wait 2 years at least to move Murray. Even then the cap hit would be substantial, once again making filling holes nearly impossible. It’s hard to believe Payton or even the Cards would want to write off 3 years.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Payton to the Cards just seems impractical. He has 2 years remaining on his Saints contract. That means the league will require compensation. This eliminates the Rams as a destination. I think it also eliminates the Cards. The anticipated compensation is 2 first and 2 second roun choices. This means the Cards with a record number of holes (IMO), cannot fill those deficiencies through the draft. Since the Cards are notoriously unwilling to fudge the cap, this team just couldn’t be repaired missing those picks. Add in that if Murray can’t be fixed, Payton would have to wait 2 years at least to move Murray. Even then the cap hit would be substantial, once again making filling holes nearly impossible. It’s hard to believe Payton or even the Cards would want to write off 3 years.
I can't see any team in the NFL right now that'd be willing to move that much for Payton. Gruden's compensation for the move to the Bucs way back when got that high, but that was a very rare situation where the Bucs had a loaded roster and were ready to win now. Gruden wasn't retired at that point, either.

I know you're more plugged in to league sources than I am, but with BA only getting a 6th or whatever a few years back, and the fact that Payton can just say "cool, I'll stick with my lucrative contract at FOX if you're going to bar me from being back in the league," I don't see that much compensation heading to the Saints.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I can't see any team in the NFL right now that'd be willing to move that much for Payton. Gruden's compensation for the move to the Bucs way back when got that high, but that was a very rare situation where the Bucs had a loaded roster and were ready to win now. Gruden wasn't retired at that point, either.

I know you're more plugged in to league sources than I am, but with BA only getting a 6th or whatever a few years back, and the fact that Payton can just say "cool, I'll stick with my lucrative contract at FOX if you're going to bar me from being back in the league," I don't see that much compensation heading to the Saints.
The problem is the Saints have to release him for him to take another job and several teams want him. It’s the proverbial seller’s market.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This roster is about to be a ghost town after trade demands and FA attrition. Zero people will want this job. Especially not Payton. That's my view. We'll end up with an up and comer or also ran - neither of whom will have the clout to demand to be or choose their own GM. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking you can all save this post to revisit later and cry over it.
Mike McCarthy is a rare retread who actually worked out.

I usually prefer “up and coming” guys over vet guys who failed at their last stop. With that said, maybe we hire someone who actually has NFL experience this time around.