Trey Mcbride has only 129 receiving yards in 10 starts

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People need to stop hating on players that haven't done anything wrong.

I get being pissed at the Org but taking it out on young kids that are the future of the team in below the belt.

TE is one of the toughest transitions in football and he's playing on an offense that not only rarely uses two TE's but had Zach Ertz to throw to for 10 games (and that has also sucked).

Cole Kmet was drafted #43 and had 243 yards as a rookie and he played in all 16 and started 9. He had 612 last year.

On top of that I and other have highlighted mutliple times he's been open, including for TD's, and been missed. He could easily have 150 more yards minimum in a TE2 role.

McBride is going to be fine. You can see he has talent if you watch the player and ignore the stats.

It's very rare for a TE to come in and blow the stat sheet up. Even for high first round picks. The last rookie TE to pass 500 yards was Noah ant in 2019 and Mark Andrews the year before at 552.
I agree. He may not have been the right selection, but as a player I believe he will be a part of our success, whatever that may be.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
All true - but not McBride's fault.

Note he did have 55 yards yesterday, only 5 behind DHop, and had the best YPC of any of the recievers.
And one really impressive catch and run where he looked like a TE trying to be tackled by smaller guys. That was a glimpse of what I hope to see more of next season.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There are monkeys in Brazil aware of the fact that tight ends take a few years to develop in the nfl with rare exception.

There is no issue with McBride nor where he was drafted. He should be hitting his stride right about the time Ertz is hanging up his cleats.
Drafting a TE to replace Ertz years before we actually have to replace Ertz was one of the few correct moves keim ever made.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
McBride is going to be fine. You can see he has talent if you watch the player and ignore the stats.
Zaven Collins is going to be fine. Rondale Moore is going to be fine. Now Trey McBride is going to be fine.

It might be easier if you talked about players you're concerned about -- are there any besides Kyler on this 4-10 team?

He wasn't a stupid pick if you planned to use him for significant snaps and as a 2nd or 3rd receiving option. Hell, he may become more valuable in a different scheme. Maybe he was drafted a round too high but the biggest issue with taking McBride was his limited ceiling with Ertz on the roster and our offensive scheme.

It would have been INSANE to do this with a rookie TE. Maybe in two years with a defense-oriented team. McBride was never going to out-target Nuk, Hollywood, Ertz, Conner, and Moore (probably in that order). This year or next.

Maybe in three years it'll be Hollywood, Moore, and McBride, but right now it's difficult imagining that as being anything but a Gase-quality offense.

Trey McHousler

Savage.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Zaven Collins is going to be fine. Rondale Moore is going to be fine. Now Trey McBride is going to be fine.

It might be easier if you talked about players you're concerned about -- are there any besides Kyler on this 4-10 team?

It would have been INSANE to do this with a rookie TE. Maybe in two years with a defense-oriented team. McBride was never going to out-target Nuk, Hollywood, Ertz, Conner, and Moore (probably in that order). This year or next.

Maybe in three years it'll be Hollywood, Moore, and McBride, but right now it's difficult imagining that as being anything but a Gase-quality offense.

Savage.
Which is my point. Just based on the scheme and the roster, McBride was never going to warrant his draft status which is why it was such a terrible pick at the time. Maybe a new scheme, new coaches and Ertz's injury changes that but I am not counting on it. Waste of a 2nd round pick but probably will hang around the league.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
his 8.1YPC indicates that was an outlier play.
A) he’s not exactly getting seam opportunities. That’s a kliff problem, not McBride.

B) data set isn’t large enough to be considering numerically significant at present.

I’m not a McBride fan, but neither am I a hater. It’s just too early to call him a bum.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All making him a bewilderingly stupid 2nd round draft pick in 2022. If he was a later round pick, or a guy on a very talented roster, no worries. For us? Massively stupid pick.

That's simply not true.

Trey McBride was the consensus #50 overall player in the 2022 draft and we selected him at #55. He was consensus TE1 and in over 100 mock drafts in the months between Jan and April not one had him going below 50 and the vast majority had him late round 1.

But this is besides the point. By all means attack Keim for drafting a TE in round 2 as if the roster is stacked and were just padding it out. I myself did so at the time when guys like Drake Jackson were still on the board.

But that's different than dragging the player.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Posters were ripped apart for questioning the idea that we had one of the best TE rooms in the league…

I haven't changed my mind. I think the room of Ertz, a fully fit Williams and McBride is. But our offense has sucked and our use of TE's outside of Ertz has sucked.

I expected this offense to use far more 2 TE sets, especially in a passing capacity.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well lets see.

Zaven Collins has been fine.

Rondale Moore was doing well and was a key part of the offense before injury.

So I fancy my chances with McBride too.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two different arguments here.

McBride is talented and will be a good NFL TE for the right team in the right offense. Worthy of his draft position.

None of that really applies to the 2022 Cards and we should have drafted an Edge. Which isn't McBrides fault.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's simply not true.

Trey McBride was the consensus #50 overall player in the 2022 draft and we selected him at #55. He was consensus TE1 and in over 100 mock drafts in the months between Jan and April not one had him going below 50 and the vast majority had him late round 1.

But this is besides the point. By all means attack Keim for drafting a TE in round 2 as if the roster is stacked and were just padding it out. I myself did so at the time when guys like Drake Jackson were still on the board.

But that's different than dragging the player.
Yes, that is exactly the point. That the kid has been pretty bad up until recently really didn't help either. I'll grant him time, because he's young and in bad circumstances, but those penalties can't be excused away. More penalty yards than receiving yards for a long stretch of the season is a bad look. Certainly we can't write him off yet, but let's also not pretend he's a guaranteed good TE and worthy of his draft position moving forward. There's no way to know that.

My prediction? He has a very average career, isn't a huge receiving threat, but is a decent enough blocker to have a 6 or 7 year JAG career. Not bad for him, not great for us, and not 2nd round worthy. Not let's hope he proves me wrong in a big bad way.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
those penalties can't be excused away. More penalty yards than receiving yards for a long stretch of the season is a bad look.

It's just so overblown. He has 4 penalties all season for 27 yards and all 4 of them came before week 8 when he was barely playing. That's 1.93 yards per game. As a rookie. Zach Ertz has more penalties per game and penalty yards per game than McBride. That doesn't factor in snap counts but it's the best I got.

Dan Arnold his last year with us, 7 at 2.81 per game. Gresham his last year with us had 4 at 2.81 per game.

Noah Fant as a rookie. 7 at 3.63 per game.

Hockenson as a rookie. 7 at 2.81 per game.

Andrews as a rookie 4 at 1.76 per game.

Huge imaginary nothing burger.

Since week 10 when he's been playing the majority of snaps he hasn't had a single penalty.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's just so overblown. He has 4 penalties all season for 27 yards and all 4 of them came before week 8 when he was barely playing. That's 1.93 yards per game. As a rookie. Zach Ertz has more penalties per game and penalty yards per game than McBride. That doesn't factor in snap counts but it's the best I got.

Dan Arnold his last year with us, 7 at 2.81 per game. Gresham his last year with us had 4 at 2.81 per game.

Noah Fant as a rookie. 7 at 3.63 per game.

Hockenson as a rookie. 7 at 2.81 per game.

Andrews as a rookie 4 at 1.76 per game.

Huge imaginary nothing burger.

Since week 10 when he's been playing the majority of snaps he hasn't had a single penalty.
That's why I said early on and said he has improved later in the season. Unless you missed that part of this thread?

His problem early in the season is that he was--by far--a net negative player. His only contributions were bad contributions, and not in a subtle way. You don't want that from your rookies, though you can give them some leeway to take lumps. You especially can't have that from your top pick in the draft.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why I said early on and said he has improved later in the season. Unless you missed that part of this thread?

His problem early in the season is that he was--by far--a net negative player. His only contributions were bad contributions, and not in a subtle way. You don't want that from your rookies, though you can give them some leeway to take lumps. You especially can't have that from your top pick in the draft.

Well it seems like it's fixed now.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
To be fair on this argument:

1) Sharpe's rookie season was over 30 years ago
2) Sharpe was a 7th round pick
3) 53 receptions, 640 yards, and 2 TDs was somehow enough to make the Pro Bowl in 1993

Wild times.
You mean to be reaching... what about where he was selected changes the performance comparison or what others did remove from Sharpe or McBride

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You mean to be reaching... what about where he was selected changes the performance comparison or what others did remove from Sharpe or McBride
Because 7th round picks usually have lower expectations and more time to develop than 2nd round picks?

That’s why they’re chosen five rounds higher?