What should the Cardinals do on Black Monday?

What action(s) should Cardinals take?

• Fire Kliff and Keim

Votes: 88 84.6%
  • Fire Kliff only

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Fire Keim only

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Retain both and fire VJ

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of this is what the Brian Flores suit is about — it's hard to get a second chance when you're a defensive head coach because the emphasis is on offense so much and people are still looking for Their Sean McVay who can add value at the QB position. Also, you're looking at a group of 32 head coaches and a handful of seats that are never open (like Belicheck's and Tomlin's). So having a handful of guys who repeat through the process over the past decade (including Jim Caldwell) is significant. Bowles and Rivera are also rehires.

I agree. Defensive head coaches have to land in a great spot or they likely get another chance. So guys like Ryans and Eviro are off our list. Also guys like Dan Quinn.

It's because we are likely looking for an offensive minded head coach I think we should wait considering the situation.

I think the non-Kyler stuff with Kliff is the reason you probably need to fire him (and I'm a Kliff defender). The penalties, inability to get plays in on time, awful 2-minute drills, etc. are all things that indicate that he's not able to do this job no matter who is QB.

If those are worked out and not a problem over the next handful of games, I think he has more of an argument to stay on and help manage the offseason and period without Kyler. If Kliff struggles but Kyler comes back 100% and looks great, it's definitely a more attractive job.

I agree. I've also been a defender and I think he should also go for the none Kyler stuff. He was garbage in both the Chargers and Pats games.

I'm not arguing for not firing Kliff. Just not yet. Next season is likely a right off already with a late season ACL injury. We don't want to RG3 Kyler and rush him back.

I just don't think you're going to get the best people here regardless.

Again we agree. Getting the best like Payton is always a long shot for the Cards. Even Jim Harbaugh is a long shot and he's no Payton.

But Kyler's injury completely moves the scale. If Kyler was healthy you have a shot at a Steichen or a Dorsey. A promising OC that hasn't been a HC yet.

I just don't see any of them taking that risk now. If we go into this hiring cycle for a HC I only see desperate retreads showing interest and at least 2 more years of purgatory.

It's likely Kyler returns to complete fitness and it's likely it's late next season before he looks back to himself. But there's also a not miniscule chance that Kyler isn't the same player.

I just think the smart move is to get Kyler back to full fitness first. It gives us more options.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
payton signed a qb with a totally blown out throwing shoulder and designed an offense around him without seeing him play a post injury nfl game.

kyler being a qb,...especially a qb that throws one of the best deep balls in the league...a knee injury isnt that scarey to most coaches.
if anything, they see a young man who is now motivated to improve on the mental side of his game which is what he needed all along anyway.

limiting his mobility just makes the lights shine brighter on murrays height,...or lack thereof..
the kid can pass the ball like Dan Marino,... but Marino only survived his knee injuries because he could see the field.

So,.... got a QB that is too short by NFL standards but throws the ball really well??,,,but his mobility is not the best?? Coming off a devastating injury??

Sean Payton already took that guy to the super bowl

The difference is Sean Payton wasn't Sean Payton then. He was a QB coach at Dallas with a couple years experience as OC at the Giants years previously. Peyton wasn't even mentioned as a candidate in that hiring cycle.

He only had interviews for the Packers and Saints and he didn't want the Saints job. He didn't like NO, the franchise was trash and it was post Katrina. He wanted the Packers job and was lined up for a 2nd interview but while he was in NO Ted Thompson called him and said they were going with McCarthy.

He only took the job because it was the only HC job available to him. He was basically the Zac Taylor of 2006.

And when he took the job the plan was to draft a QB with the #2 pick until Brees became available in March and they had 2 months of post surgery medical information to see his shoulder was fine.

So not at all like the situation here in any way. Not least of which is that he's no longer a long shot nobody who has to take the only job he can get.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rodgers is old and no longer elite, and his roster sucks too. Herbie has a grossly incompetent coach whom I would possibly put below Kliffy, and has dealt with a lot of injury issues, as well as injuries to himself. He hasn't been able to elevate them, and that's why I didn't mention him. Can you say Allen or Mahomes wouldn't have done better this year than KM?
Dude - you lost all credibility with that first line.. Rodgers just won the MVP last year!!!! Lol

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rodgers is old and no longer elite, and his roster sucks too. Herbie has a grossly incompetent coach whom I would possibly put below Kliffy, and has dealt with a lot of injury issues, as well as injuries to himself. He hasn't been able to elevate them, and that's why I didn't mention him. Can you say Allen or Mahomes wouldn't have done better this year than KM?
and Lombardi is calling the plays in LAC lol!

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And lol again… I did say they would do better but 6-8 wins total. We are going to end up w 4-6 wins. I’ll give you a +2 games as I said with those guys.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And lol again… I did say they would do better but 6-8 wins total. We are going to end up w 4-6 wins. I’ll give you a +2 games as I said with those guys.
You can lol all you want, but your opinions are outliers on here. Those two QBs would definitely win more than 6 with us. 8 would be the floor. With the OL injuries, my projection would be 8-10 wins and a wild card berth.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
McDaniel - Still seems to suck.
Wilks....WILKS!!!!!! And hes still in the playoff picture.

So, rare or not, It happens, and apparently, even the worst coach ever, may have just been hamstrung by his lack of experience, and 2 buffoons running the show....
Bruh, Lovie Smith is on his 3rd HC gig...and he wants #1 pick so bad, he gave the Cowboys the game last week.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those saying Kyler’s injury will prevent us from getting a good coach are insane. He’s a 25 year old QB with two Pro Bowl’s on his resume. Every other opening has a question mark or a highly paid washed QB at the position.

He's a 25 year old mobile QB having an awful season shackled to a top 4 contract with an ACL tear and a history of injuries less than 10 years after RG3. That's never had a 4000 yard season and never thrown for more than 26 TDs.

He has more question marks than the QBs on all the other teams looking for coaches outside the Panthers.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He's a 25 year old mobile QB having an awful season shackled to a top 4 contract with an ACL tear and a history of injuries less than 10 years after RG3. That's never had a 4000 yard season and never thrown for more than 26 TDs.

He has more question marks than the QBs on all the other teams looking for coaches outside the Panthers.
Yeah, but coaches are arrogant. Lots might see him and "know" they can fix him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Start with the GM and let him handle it from there. Would have to have control to make changes needed. No decent coach is sliding into this situation with meathead still the GM. Any decent candidate would pass and wait for a different opportunity. Let the new GM sell his vision to a good coaching candidate.
This is honestly the correct answer. Hire the GM, let him make the decisions on the front office and coaches. That is what well run organizations do.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Those saying Kyler’s injury will prevent us from getting a good coach are insane. He’s a 25 year old QB with two Pro Bowl’s on his resume. Every other opening has a question mark or a highly paid washed QB at the position.
I agree. A HC who likes Kyler will not let this deter him. A HC who was not into Kyler isn't going to come here anyway.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
this is my view

its also my view that not having Kyler for some portion of 2023 isn't a problem either

whomever coaches this team in 2023 will do so with zero expectations of a winning season or playoffs that year

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Whatever you want the team to do, I did find this tidbit interesting from Daniel Jeremiah. He's from SD and comes on a local radio show weekly.

He was asked about the Cardinals and what things might look like if that job opens up with Kliff being fired.

He said, Kyler is a unique individual personality wise, from his interactions and what he knows about him. You have to find the right guy, and Kliff was supposed to be that guy. He's known him, offense fits, he's familiar with the offense, and has been since 9th grade. So that's going to be a challenge to find something he likes that works.

Long story short, it's not a very appealing job.

Said in some weird way, it's almost better to go into a job with no QB than to go into one with a QB they've committed to long term and you don't necessarily love.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Michael will be a much bigger deterrent for prospective coaches and GMs than Kyler. There is nothing worse than a meddling owner, although he does seem to have a high tolerance for burning cash lately.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Whatever you want the team to do, I did find this tidbit interesting from Daniel Jeremiah. He's from SD and comes on a local radio show weekly.

He was asked about the Cardinals and what things might look like if that job opens up with Kliff being fired.

He said, Kyler is a unique individual personality wise, from his interactions and what he knows about him. You have to find the right guy, and Kliff was supposed to be that guy. He's known him, offense fits, he's familiar with the offense, and has been since 9th grade. So that's going to be a challenge to find something he likes that works.

Long story short, it's not a very appealing job.

Said in some weird way, it's almost better to go into a job with no QB than to go into one with a QB they've committed to long term and you don't necessarily love.

I'm sure there are loads of great HC candidates just dying to work with a guy with a reputation for not studying to the point his team put it in his contract, who is a social media meme that has him gaming instead of studying, that couldn't work with the guy brought in to build the exact same system around him he's had his whole career, who has a reputation for not getting on with players, who never takes responsibility and who has never felt the need to work with a coach in the offseason like every great QB in the league...

Oh and who has a frshly torn ACL likely keeping him out a chunk of next season and handcuffed to one of the largest contracts in the league.

Queuing up.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You don’t want to invest a pick on a potentially-elite pass-rusher? That’s exactly what we need. That’s what every team needs.
Question for you on this. With Anderson's weight being around 245 would your decision change if we hired a 4-3 defensive coach?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Question for you on this. With Anderson's weight being around 245 would your decision change if we hired a 4-3 defensive coach?
That would be tough for sure. He’s without a doubt the best passrusher but he’s likely be a man without a position. He’d be playing too light at DE and we’d waste him at OLB in a 4-3. That said, how much are coaches tied to pure 4-3 and 3-4 these days? Seems more fluid.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think coaches are purely playing 3-4 or 4-3. That shouldn’t matter imo & would be an incredibly lame reason to pass up on Will.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave