I think that Kyler Murray's career is finished with his injury

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I don't like seeing anyone get injured, even if it's on an opposing team, it's just not a fun thing all around.
I don't think this is an immediate career ender but it is a career changer for KM, running will be effected, the way he scrambles and slides will be effected, his aversion to taking hits will really be effected and quite frankly, from what we've seen of him for 4 years, I'm not sure he comes back from this stronger but even less willing to try harder to prove anything, he's got his money, the incentive isn't really there and after a few seasons he either quits or is traded and is then gone from the league
Meh, may be I'm completely wrong and he comes back as the second coming of a Steve Young, Russell Wilson type player lol

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kyler will be ok. And this could have been much worse. If we were 8-4 instead of 4-8. Much much worse. He will be back in august. HS girls and boys coming back in 7 months. August is 9 months.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
SO what happens with his contract should he decide he is done with football? Does he still get the guaranteed portion of the contract?

WakeForestCard

Veteran
Reaction score
SO what happens with his contract should he decide he is done with football? Does he still get the guaranteed portion of the contract?
If he retires I think he needs to give a portion of the bonus money back (depending on how many years are left).

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What a dumb post. Football players bounce back from blown out knees all the time. And with today’s surgical advances, they actually come back stronger. Murray will be back next year ready to play. What this franchise needs to do is now is work on finding a real NFL experienced HC that isn’t solely analytics DRIVEN.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is a little hyperbolic, but not completely wrong. He's not a great pocket passer, and I don't think he'll be back to full speed by the start of next year. Can this team sustain that? I don't see it. That'd put him at 27 by 2024, at which point that kind of athleticism would be naturally declining.

The outlook's not good.
He’s still going to be more mobile and athletic than every QB aside from Lamar and Fields (yes still more than Hurts). He also can throw better than those guys… he doesn’t need to be a pocket passer - he needs to be a guy who you move around and have throw from different points. He’s still going to have a cannon of an arm and great accuracy.

This is how he should have been used from day 1. Go get a coach that can use him that way.

PlayerHater

Veteran
Reaction score
This will go down as a text book example of why you don't give into player / agent pressure and pay big money to QB's who rely heavily on mobility. Once these QB's can't run they become career backups or they are out of the league. Kyler without his legs is no better than a Baker Mayfield and the cards are on the hook for $160 million.

The reality is Kyler is not physically built for the NFL, and now having to recover from a ACL injury that will most likely limit his mobility puts his future as a franchise QB in serious doubt.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This will go down as a text book example of why you don't give into player / agent pressure and pay big money to QB's who rely heavily on mobility. Once these QB's can't run they become career backups or they are out of the league. Kyler without his legs is no better than a Baker Mayfield and the cards are on the hook for $160 million.

The reality is Kyler is not physically built for the NFL, and now having to recover from a major knee injury that will most likely limit his mobility puts his future as a franchise QB in serious doubt.

It goes both ways it also points out why agents and players want the big money as soon as they can get it, because a long career is not guaranteed to them due to injury.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Guys this isn’t 1985, guys return to their previous athleticism all the time after torn ACL’s.

If Kyler doesn’t come back 100% it’s on his and the doctor’s rehab efforts not the science. The narrative that he’s done athletically because of an ACL tear at 25 is just flat out dumb.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

The reality is Kyler is not physically built for the NFL, and now having to recover from a major knee injury that will most likely limit his mobility puts his future as a franchise QB in serious doubt.
Deshaun Watson tore his ACL in November 2017. Then proceeded to make the 2018, 2019, and 2020 Pro Bowl.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys this isn’t 1985, guys return to their previous athleticism all the time after torn ACL’s.

If Kyler doesn’t come back 100% it’s on his rehab efforts not the science. The narrative that he’s done athletically because of an ACL tear at 25 is just flat out dumb.
Guys also don’t. Go look at Kawhi Leonard and Jamal Murray for proof of that.

And I think you’re misconstruing the argument. It’s not that he’s athletically done because of an ACL. But that when he is able to get healthy, there might be a little less giddy up in his get up and in the NFL, the loss of even just a little can take something something special and downgrade it to ordinary.

And that’s all saying nothing to the fact that he already didn’t get the best out if his legs, playing somewhat protective as a runner. Mentally that issue might be compounded even worse coming back off this injury.

Also, this was now the second straight season he’ll missed significant time and third straight season injuries will have severely limited him going back to the shoulder injury most of his defenders blame for his second half meltdown in 2020.

Bird’s eye view of the last 3 years, games missed, wearing down over the course of seasons just paint a picture of a guy who’s body just ain’t cut out for football.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What a dumb post. Football players bounce back from blown out knees all the time. And with today’s surgical advances, they actually come back stronger. Murray will be back next year ready to play. What this franchise needs to do is now is work on finding a real NFL experienced HC that isn’t solely analytics DRIVEN.

Snap.

He isn't done as a runner and it won't change his game. Running backs do ACL's every year and still play running back.

Actual runners do ACL's and come back and compete at a high level.

He'll be fine physically. The question is how it effects him mentally.

Last edited:

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isn't that what guaranteed means? Or is there new meaning to it written into the contracts somehow? :?:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Guys also don’t. Go look at Kawhi Leonard and Jamal Murray for proof of that.

And I think you’re misconstruing the argument. It’s not that he’s athletically done because of an ACL. But that when he is able to get healthy, there might be a little less giddy up in his get up and in the NFL, the loss of even just a little can take something something special and downgrade it to ordinary.

And that’s all saying nothing to the fact that he already didn’t get the best out if his legs, playing somewhat protective as a runner. Mentally that issue might be compounded even worse coming back off this injury.

Also, this was now the second straight season he’ll missed significant time and third straight season injuries will have severely limited him going back to the shoulder injury most of his defenders blame for his second half meltdown in 2020.

Bird’s eye view of the last 3 years, games missed, wearing down over the course of seasons just paint a picture of a guy who’s body just ain’t cut out for football.
I can agree with the injury-prone aspect, just saying guys come back from ACL injuries all the time. Jamal might be a good example of your point, Kawhi’s entire lower body is toast not just his knee.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He’s still going to be more mobile and athletic than every QB aside from Lamar and Fields (yes still more than Hurts). He also can throw better than those guys… he doesn’t need to be a pocket passer - he needs to be a guy who you move around and have throw from different points. He’s still going to have a cannon of an arm and great accuracy.

This is how he should have been used from day 1. Go get a coach that can use him that way.
Unless you're a doctor who has physically examined and evaluated him, you have no way of knowing this. Even the doctors are only giving a prognosis for recovery, and those are not always correct. I hope he does come back just as fast and mobile as before. I just worry that the other big gaps in his game won't get time to be addressed because he'll be rehabbing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on Jamal Murray it took him longer but he's actually not that far off statistically from pre injury, 3 PPG lower, lower FG%. he's clearly not 100% back but he's had a few dunks recently that suggest he's close. Murray fwiw also had knee soreness before he even got to the NBA, it was one of the knocks on him coming out of UK. ANd while Kyler needs his legs more than most QB's, the jumping aspect of the NBA is not a factor in the NFL so it's not as easy to compare.

It's certainly possible Kyler doesn't come back the same but IMO it's more likely he does, it will just take awhile.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Deshaun Watson tore his ACL in November 2017. Then proceeded to make the 2018, 2019, and 2020 Pro Bowl.
Exactly! Carson Palmer tore his acl, for a second time, in Novmeber of 2014. He was back the following pre-season and led the Cardinals to the NFC title game. Not saying Murray will do the same, but I don’t think this ends his career. But I do think its time for Keim to go.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s still going to be more mobile and athletic than every QB aside from Lamar and Fields (yes still more than Hurts).
He’s more mobile and athletic than Hurts… even though Hurts has demolished him in rushing yards while they’ve both been starters the last two years.

And he’s more mobile than Josh Allen… by the measure of a whistle and stop-clock maybe, but not in actual game action seeing as Allen also has demolished Kyler in rushing stats the last two seasons. Maybe he’s more mobile in natural ability or measureables in drills than than Allen or Hurts, but in actual practice in games, those guys get much better results using their mobility than Kyler. What happens on the field, in pads, in games that actually contributes to offensive success is more important then what happens in shorts in practice or drills.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Exactly! Carson Palmer tore his acl, for a second time, in Novmeber of 2014. He was back the following pre-season and led the Cardinals to the NFC title game. Not saying Murray will do the same, but I don’t think this ends his career. But I do think its time for Keim to go.
In 2022, surgeons have figured out how to repair a torn ACL.

What they haven't figured out is how to repair cognitive functioning after years of heavy drinking so yeah, Keim is toast.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He'll be fine physically. The question is how it effects him mentally.
This is the key

Will have the drive to everything he needs to to recover properly?

Will he hesitate before running or crumble when a rusher is running towards him?

Will he learn to read a D so he can make quick throws to avoid hits?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose