What the Cards Lack

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This is 100% fantasy. It's another attempt to pass blame onto the "insert things I don't like here*.
Ya mind referencing the whole paragraph where I put part of the blame on Kyler? And what's to like about Keim and Kliff? You take Mahomes and Arians off their resumes (and neither of which they accomplished all that much with) and those two bums wouldn't get hired to be the Cardinals team janitor.
Kyler barely played at A&M and only played one season at OU. "He was great at Allen and OU where they had dominant talent" is not a ringing endorsement.

It doesn't explain in any way going from 5-10-1, to 8-8, to 11-6 under same coach, same GM, same owner and showing steady but minor improvements each year himself to the absolute abysmal, bottom of the league QB play we have seen this year.
You must be new around here, this organization has had glimpses of competence every so often since I've been following until it quickly falls apart within a few short years. Mostly because we are always hanging on by a thread, ie we NEED one player or coach or whatever to succeed and without that person it simply all falls apart. Been that way forever with the Cardinals. That's because of the team's culture. And you'll note that the only streches here where we won football games football mostly coincided with Kyler playing at an elite level. Both he, the coach, and the organization have no counterpunch.

If, as you say, Kyler can only be good was he has the right HC, right scheme, right GM, great O line, great WR's, insert whatever you like here then what's the point of him?

Any QB can be good when everything around him is good. Andy Dalton has done that. Carson Wentz has done that. Joe Flacco has done that. Cam Newton has done that. Jared Goff has done that.

That's the path Kyler is currently on.

I never said that, I said he needs the right culture. Nothing to do with x's and o's or talent. You seem to think coaching is just about drawing lines on paper or picking the right players when that's really just a minority percentage of it. Although anyone who thinks we ever surrounded him with above-average league talent or winning schemes is deluding themselves. Keim has never built an elite top to bottom roster nor has Kliff coached winning football in each of their entire careers.

If we have to wait for Mercury to be in retrograde over Jupiter for him to be good why pay him like a top 5 QB? You pay that money to QBs that elevate those around them. That find ways to win tough games.

Kyler simply doesn't. I absolute believe he could. If he put the work in.

The worst thing about Kyler this year is he's as bad now as he was game 1. All the things he's struggled with then he's still struggling with now. That tells me all I need to know about his attitude.
Well, we already paid him so that ship has sailed.

And for the record, since the narrative has become that Kyler is lazy, just know there's just as many people around football who say the opposite. This board and the media need to be intellectually honest in acknowledging this. The truth is somewhere in the middle of course, however it should be said that if you polled 100 people around the league and asked them if they had to choose one between Kliff, Kyler, and Keim to be a part of their franchise that every single of them would pick Kyler.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol @ the “passing blame” statement even though he admitted Kyler has stunk this season & needs to grow up!

Brit legitimately holds the FO to the same standard as your regular message board visitors!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ya mind referencing the whole paragraph where I put part of the blame on Kyler? And what's to like about Keim and Kliff? You take Mahomes and Arians off their resumes (and neither of which they accomplished all that much with) and those two bums wouldn't get hired to be the Cardinals team janitor.

You must be new around here, this organization has had glimpses of competence every so often since I've been following until it quickly falls apart within a few short years. Mostly because we are always hanging on by a thread, ie we NEED one player or coach or whatever to succeed and without that person it simply all falls apart. Been that way forever with the Cardinals. That's because of the team's culture. And you'll note that the only streches here where we won football games football mostly coincided with Kyler playing at an elite level. Both he, the coach, and the organization have no counterpunch.

I never said that, I said he needs the right culture. Nothing to do with x's and o's or talent. You seem to think coaching is just about drawing lines on paper or picking the right players when that's really just a minority percentage of it. Although anyone who thinks we ever surrounded him with above-average league talent or winning schemes is deluding themselves. Keim has never built an elite top to bottom roster nor has Kliff coached winning football in each of their entire careers.

Well, we already paid him so that ship has sailed.

And for the record, since the narrative has become that Kyler is lazy, just know there's just as many people around football who say the opposite. This board and the media need to be intellectually honest in acknowledging this. The truth is somewhere in the middle of course, however it should be said that if you polled 100 people around the league and asked them if they had to choose one between Kliff, Kyler, and Keim to be a part of their franchise that every single of them would pick Kyler.

We would have the right culture if Kyler did his job. You want a "winning culture" then that's the job of your $260m QB. He's literally the difference between being 8-4 instead of 4-8.

Regarding his work ethic I don't think he's so much lazy as arrogant. He doesn't believe he needs to work on the areas he obviously needs to work on, so he doesn't.

If there is a QB in the league that needs to spend 30 hours a week studying film it's Kyler Murray. But we all know he isn't doing anywhere near that.

Ultimate the idea that everyone else needs to get right around hiim for him to be good is a nonsense idea. Whether it's culture, O line, coach, GM or whatever. Kyler controls how good this team is more than anyone. He sorts his own crap out and everything else is insignificant.

When Kyler puts the work in to read and diagnose defenses, make adjustments, go through his progressions, fix his footwork and mechanics and fix his accuracy beyond 10 yards then all the other issues become relevant. Then we can talk about what we need to do to go from a 10-7 team that gets knocked out in the wildcard round to being SB contenders. Until then it's all a waste of effort.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This is 100% fantasy. It's another attempt to pass blame onto the "insert things I don't like here*.

Kyler barely played at A&M and only played one season at OU. "He was great at Allen and OU where they had dominant talent" is not a ringing endorsement.

It doesn't explain in any way going from 5-10-1, to 8-8, to 11-6 under same coach, same GM, same owner and showing steady but minor improvements each year himself to the absolute abysmal, bottom of the league QB play we have seen this year.

If, as you say, Kyler can only be good was he has the right HC, right scheme, right GM, great O line, great WR's, insert whatever you like here then what's the point of him?

Any QB can be good when everything around him is good. Andy Dalton has done that. Carson Wentz has done that. Joe Flacco has done that. Cam Newton has done that. Jared Goff has done that.

That's the path Kyler is currently on.

If we have to wait for Mercury to be in retrograde over Jupiter for him to be good why pay him like a top 5 QB? You pay that money to QBs that elevate those around them. That find ways to win tough games.

Kyler simply doesn't. I absolute believe he could. If he put the work in.

The worst thing about Kyler this year is he's as bad now as he was game 1. All the things he's struggled with then he's still struggling with now. That tells me all I need to know about his attitude.
So they just eat the contract?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When someone offers an opinion, you snipe. When asked your opinion, you demur. So... :shrug:

MB, KEIM, KK, VJ, KM - bad
KEIM, KK, VJ, KM - bad
KK, VJ, KM - bad
KK, VJ - bad
MB - bad
Keim - bad
KK - bad
VJ - bad
KM - bad

You and others have every permutation of this thematic covered, and so I have nothing to add.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The game starts at the trenches and dictates how the plays transpire. Does not matter how much skill the skill players have if you cannot hold the line of scrimmage. I want no CB, I want no WR, I want no pass rusher if they do not play up front. If you dictate the line of scrimmage, you dictate the game and even a great OC can be reduced to playing tic tac toe... I do not want a ILB either lol

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The individual players we’ve got have to up their game and play at a more consistantly high level.This is more than moving players around the roster like checkers.

Same for the coaches and FO. More wins vs. losses snap by snap.

We’ve got to better develop what we already have.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The individual players we’ve got have to up their game and play at a more consistantly high level.This is more than moving players around the roster like checkers.

Same for the coaches and FO. More wins vs. losses snap by snap.

We’ve got to better develop what we already have.
This as well. I am beyond arguing if Collins, for example, is playing like a superstar which can be found in the early rounds, I want a good starter which we can depend on. Maybe Simmons cannot be all that and a bag of chips moved all over the field, but maybe if taught and used right he can be that dynamic pass rusher with limited responsibilities. Hopefully this team retains the services of Murphy and Allen, they are part of the solution

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Of course not.

Kyler needs to put the work in to fix Kyler. Until that happens all the rest is peripheral.
We keep coming back to how do you propose to get Murray to change working under the same coach? Certainly fan pressure or pride won’t do it.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We keep coming back to how do you propose to get Murray to change working under the same coach? Certainly fan pressure or pride won’t do it.

Its not what he's doing under the coach that concerns me. It's what he does in his own time and off season.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
That is why I keep saying a different coach will not make Murray any better if Murray doesn't recognize he needs to get better. The one thing a new HC could do is tell the GM Murray has to go, I can't work with him or he just doesn't want to be coached up.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That is why I keep saying a different coach will not make Murray any better if Murray doesn't recognize he needs to get better. The one thing a new HC could do is tell the GM Murray has to go, I can't work with him or he just doesn't want to be coached up.
This is why I maintain KM will retire just after or soon after his big-money deal. He doesn't want it like he needs to want it, and when he reaches the end of the string and nobody wants him, he'll just retire, bank all that money he made, and move on with life.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
I agree changing coaches is a Hail Mary. That said, sometimes those work. Since he can’t be traded, I’m just asking for an alternate theory of how to change Murray beyond a new coach