The Official US Soccer thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
yeah it's hard to believe that they didn't try something other than just hopeful kicks to the opposite team's players. and I think you and others mentioned that christian doesn't need to be taking every corner.
Especially when playing with a false 9. Hoofing it into the box over and over isn't a good plan.

Stout

Reaction score
So basically what we called: Problems in defense, no strikers, and an immature team (and coach). I swear, if Berhalter ever plays Jordan Morris again, I will bay for his blood. Moronic. I asked at the watch party what the guy does, because he can't attack and he can't defend. Someone answered he's only good for fouling people.

Also, someone tell Berhalter that possession doesn't win games. That was some awful coaching today.

Still, I didn't expect a victory and we were pressing for an equalizer.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
All in all, this team met expectations. First and foremost, didn’t collapse like 2018 and made it in, were supposed to finish second in a very competitive group and did, and couldn’t quite hang with one of the top 8 teams in the world in the Rd of 16 when they were underdogs. Stout summarized the weakness well, though the injuries to Miles Robinson/Chris Richards were big (props to Ream though). All that needs to be said about striker has already been said.

The team has age on its side, and if they continue to develop (perhaps under new coaching at the national team level), expectations will be higher in four years on our soil.

Stout

Reaction score
All in all, this team met expectations. First and foremost, didn’t collapse like 2018 and made it in, were supposed to finish second in a very competitive group and did, and couldn’t quite hang with one of the top 8 teams in the world in the Rd of 16 when they were underdogs. Stout summarized the weakness well, though the injuries to Miles Robinson/Chris Richards were big (props to Ream though). All that needs to be said about striker has already been said.

The team has age on its side, and if they continue to develop (perhaps under new coaching at the national team level), expectations will be higher in four years on our soil.
Great point about Ream. He performed much better than I expected. Also, as my mother keeps reminding me, it's a lot better than losing to Iran!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
What we need is some current 16 yr old striker to come out of nowhere and be ready by 2026. I am adjusting my Christmas lists, hope Santa is paying attention

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Running it back with Greg would be the equivalent of rolling with Kliff - hopefully US Soccer shows better judgment than the Bidwills, although this thread really doesn't fill me with confidence.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I do wish that US Soccer would move on from Berhalter. He did the job, but it's difficult to coach a national team for 8 years.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
If this was an internal team thing why would Berhalter bring it up? Gio is 19, lacks maturity and was very likely disappointed he wasn’t a starter, he probably sulked as a result. No reason for Berhalter to bring it up even as a “unnamed player”, it just makes no sense to create drama about a situation that would likely have remained a locker room secret.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Gregg is saying that the presentation was supposed to be off the record and not to make it out and is not confirming anything about who it is because it doesn't matter and was meant to show the strength of the team leadership structure

Some things are best left unsaid though

It does, however, answer some questions

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
There is no way Berhalter can be back after this, I don’t care that he got us to the knockout round. I’d cut off any talks with him immediately if I was US Soccer. I hear rumor that Pep Guardiola is on the US a radar as is Roberto Martinez and Zidane. If there was any time for US soccer to shell out major bucks for a manager it is in the build up to hosting the World Cup.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no way Berhalter can be back after this, I don’t care that he got us to the knockout round. I’d cut off any talks with him immediately if I was US Soccer. I hear rumor that Pep Guardiola is on the US a radar as is Roberto Martinez and Zidane. If there was any time for US soccer to shell out major bucks for a manager it is in the build up to hosting the World Cup.
Pep is going nowhere. Zidane would never coach the US. Martinez could and probably should get the appointment after his flameout. Sounds about right.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Pep is going nowhere. Zidane would never coach the US. Martinez could and probably should get the appointment after his flameout. Sounds about right.

not sure why you think Guardiola or Zidane would not consider the US. All it takes is money and both guys have the egos to believe they can win anywhere.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure why you think Guardiola or Zidane would not consider the US. All it takes is money and both guys have the egos to believe they can win anywhere.
Neither of these two have coached a team without a boatload a talent. Why would we expect Pep to leave oil money for a national team?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Neither of these two have coached a team without a boatload a talent. Why would we expect Pep to leave oil money for a national team?

Because hosting a World Cup creates a TON of money that’s why. You can practically print your own money, especially in the US with the infrastructure already in place.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Rumor is Brazil is prepping an offer for Guardiola and Mexico is showing interest as well. I didn’t realize he just signed an extension of around $20 million a season less than a month ago.

He has said on multiple occasions he wants to coach a national team someday, a Federation will just have to match his salary.