2022 World Cup Thread

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
As for the US, it's all been covered.

Adams had a great tournament, but got caught watching it develop like he was hoping for someone else to do the work and then break the other way

Dest had a strong game and shouldn't have come off - but he lost the mark on that one and he knew it, just too late

There were good US chances at 3 minutes and 48 minutes that they need to finish - but consistently don't

Was weird seeing Ferreira the start, but basically playing a false 9 type role - Reyna continued it in the 2nd half but went even wider

Agree about the little things - touches that are just a little off - passes just a beat too slow, or behind the player or a bit too wide and it just like things

I know there were injuries, but the guys who are going to be in the WC absolutely need to play together in the competitive tournaments, qualifying, etc

Even with the last few friendlies it was a lot of tinkering and giving minutes to players that weren't going to either make the squad or touch the field of they did

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
One last thought/conversation with my daughter while watching Argentina & Australia

Not material to really anything..... But I really wish the US had a signature look

Sure there are always little variations, but you know Argentina, Netherlands, Brazil, Italy, Australia and many others when you see them

Many professional teams the same way

I'd love for a consistent template that can be slightly tweaked and then go nuts with an alternate

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I know there were injuries, but the guys who are going to be in the WC absolutely need to play together in the competitive tournaments, qualifying, etc

Even with the last few friendlies it was a lot of tinkering and giving minutes to players that weren't going to either make the squad or touch the field of they did
Adams not getting back to pocket Memphis was puzzling. I don't know if he had a mental error or was just out of gas. in the 46th minute you could tell that the USA players were out of gas. they switched off and were walking around and they paid the price for it. it happened to them against Wales.

I think you make a good point though. because of injuries, many of these players did not play together in the build up or even in a lot of the WCQ's. because there are no qualifiers for them for 2026, it will be important for the USA to get into some good competitions in the next cycle...outside of CONCACAF.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
One last thought/conversation with my daughter while watching Argentina & Australia

Not material to really anything..... But I really wish the US had a signature look

Sure there are always little variations, but you know Argentina, Netherlands, Brazil, Italy, Australia and many others when you see them

I'd love for a consistent template that can be slightly tweaked and then go nuts with an alternate
I actually think for the first time we played on the front foot for large stretches of every game. it's not what we are used to seeing from America. Traditionally we defend first and hope for a counter or a set piece. In 2014 JK talked a big game about being bold and playing on the front foot against Germany and Belgium and then we basically just sat back and ball watched for 80-90 mins and if not for Tim Howard who knows what the scoreline would of been vs. Belgium.

I think Berhalter needs to be able to adjust tactically and has to do a better job with his subs and changes from game to game. His team was too predictable coming into this game. he went with basically the same lineup for the entire WC. Netherlands knew exactly what to expect and picked them apart. Of corse if Pulisic opens the scoring maybe we are all praising Berhalter for being brave right now, but it just wasn't to be.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
You can’t just plug players in positions that they don’t normally play though and expect success. Pulisic, Reyna, Weah aren’t strikers, they don’t have the type of game to be target forwards— I don’t think any of them played that role for their clubs and I know none of them played that for the youth national teams. Do you honestly think Walker Zimmerman is one of our best 11? You aren’t taking him out and replacing him with someone with no experience at CB, it’s no different with striker.
Exactly yet Berhalter was asking them to provide that purpose, however it doesn't mean you can't massage your formation to provide scoring by other means. If you don't have a target forward who can turn on goal and create a shot or who can distribute the ball to someone else making a run into the box, you need to find other ways to score. This team doesn't have anyone who can play as a target forward. This team also doesn't have anyone who can create scoring opportunities. This team doesn't seem to have any type of organization in the final third or some system of play that can create scoring opportunities on a regular basis.

How often in any games did you see the US create a shot on goal from the middle of the field? Almost everything that got put in the box was from a cross played into it.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Couldn't agree with this more.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
. in the 46th minute you could tell that the USA players were out of gas. they switched off and were walking around and they paid the price for it. it happened to them against Wales.
Yeah, they were pushing so hard for like 5 minutes leading up to that and got smacked at the very tail of the half

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I actually think for the first time we played on the front foot for large stretches of every game. it's not what we are used to seeing from America.

I think there have been glimpses. From these players (and really the current groups as well) in the youth development are very active, pushing teams..... But frequently missing that center piece of stack

a target forward who can turn on goal and create a shot or who can distribute the ball to someone else making a run into the box, you need to find other ways to score. This team doesn't have anyone who can play as a target forward. This team also doesn't have anyone who can create scoring opportunities. This team doesn't seem to have any type of organization in the final third or some system of play that can create scoring opportunities on a regular basis.

How often in any games did you see the US create a shot on goal from the middle of the field? Almost everything that got put in the box was from a cross played into it.

This was a very clear problem. In the first half Ferreira had the ball played to him, space created just off the penalty spot with his neck towards goal and he completely flubbed it

For all that Pulisic does well, he will turn over the ball too much and not fully capitalize on opportunities

I'm not mad at this game or plan overall - the problems they have showed up

The ball doesn't move quick or clean enough and they either have to whip a ball in and hope or drive in towards the edges and hope for clean interplay

Netherlands was strong in central defense and cleaned the air when the ball was decent and did a great job taking away the last pass in the box and doing it with calm and confidence

When it did break through their keeper stood tall (pun intentional but accurate)

I think the 10,000 foot view of what they did was what they needed to in the style needed - Netherlands are just a really good, steady team that has patience and can be patient

Will be interesting what develops with the defense - it's a weird mix of dynamic, athletic midfield - athletic out wide and plodding in defensive middle

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think there have been glimpses. From these players (and really the current groups as well) in the youth development are very active, pushing teams..... But frequently missing that center piece of stack

This was a very clear problem. In the first half Ferreira had the ball played to him, space created just off the penalty spot with his neck towards goal and he completely flubbed it

For all that Pulisic does well, he will turn over the ball too much and not fully capitalize on opportunities

I'm not mad at this game or plan overall - the problems they have showed up

The ball doesn't move quick or clean enough and they either have to whip a ball in and hope or drive in towards the edges and hope for clean interplay

Netherlands was strong in central defense and cleaned the air when the ball was decent and did a great job taking away the last pass in the box and doing it with calm and confidence

When it did break through their keeper stood tall (pun intentional but accurate)

I think the 10,000 foot view of what they did was what they needed to in the style needed - Netherlands are just a really good, steady team that has patience and can be patient

Will be interesting what develops with the defense - it's a weird mix of dynamic, athletic midfield - athletic out wide and plodding in defensive middle
today I learned what I already knew, but didn't want to face. The Netherlands have quality and experience that is superior to our squad at every position especially in defense and the attacking positions. We need a central forward that can hold the ball and provide quality passes that unleash Pulisic/Weah/aaronson/reyna/and all of the other good MF's that we have. and of corse on top of that a striker that scores goals. Zeno mentioned Dike....I really like him and was hoping that he would be on this squad. he's a strong physical player that is a finisher and I hope he develops. but I also hope there are other young players being developed for the upcoming cycle. another weakness is Centre back. I think that Tyler Adams, McKennie, Musah, Weah, and others disguised that weakness by running back and challenging everything and you see that by game 4 they appeared to be exhausted.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Agreed on both accounts

I've been very hopeful for Dike's development - he checks so many boxes and that injury derailed him a bit

There needs to be more though - I just have no idea who it will be

I think Weah is really progressing when they took him away from trying to be that role and this is the longest look I've had at him and I was impressed by a lot

But your right - they need that danger piece in there that can open the rest of it up

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The best thing the US did in recent years is they made all levels of the US Soccer structure (youth to adult teams) have the same system of play. This is with the idea that as players move up they already have an established positional role. Unfortunately it seems that it hasn’t produced that central striker at any level. The best players from the U20 group that dominated the CONCACAF championships were midfielders.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Exactly yet Berhalter was asking them to provide that purpose, however it doesn't mean you can't massage your formation to provide scoring by other means. If you don't have a target forward who can turn on goal and create a shot or who can distribute the ball to someone else making a run into the box, you need to find other ways to score. This team doesn't have anyone who can play as a target forward. This team also doesn't have anyone who can create scoring opportunities. This team doesn't seem to have any type of organization in the final third or some system of play that can create scoring opportunities on a regular basis.

I never once saw them playing striker, we had 1 striker each game, Weah, Pulisic and Reyna/Aaronson all operated from the wide part of the midfield. Weahs goal and the disallowed offside goal were both created from movement that started in the midfield. Pulisics goal was started by McKennie on a ball that was headed across from an outside back, it wasn’t just a pumped in cross praying to find a head.

I fault Berhalter for a lot of things namely his roster construction, poor choice/timing of substitutions and lack of making timely tactical adjustments. I can’t fault him for not playing 6 midfielders and no strikers because that would make zero sense.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

I am ok with using guys on the outside looking in on non international windows but you are absolutely right.

Hopefully we can get an invite to Copa America or something, not having qualifiers takes away a lot of those competitive chances. FIFA discontinued the Confederations Cup so we don’t even have that.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

They are trying but it is something they only recently established either when Stewart was named Sporting Director or McBride named GM, like I said in another post they established that a 4-3-3 was going to be the US system of play moving forward. You’ll see that the U15 national teams on up play in that system. They want to establish an identity by design but it’s entirely too early to tell if it is going to be successful or not.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
They are trying but it is something they only recently established either when Stewart was named Sporting Director or McBride named GM, like I said in another post they established that a 4-3-3 was going to be the US system of play moving forward. You’ll see that the U15 national teams on up play in that system. They want to establish an identity by design but it’s entirely too early to tell if it is going to be successful or not.
I get what your saying and agree..... But want to clarify, because I wasn't clear, that I was completely talking about their kits ;)

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
I found a chart that had the jerseys from 1990-2020 ..... Goodness, there are so many misses in there and really nothing binding them

This included the bacon jerseys, which had no emotional tug to a 13 year old .......

I'd be fine with the Waldo's - I'd just like something that would be a template over time

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Someone tell Berhalter that possession doesn't win games and can't score you goals. JFC, how many times did we possess the ball, progress up the field, then piss our pants because the Dutch weren't allowing us to waltz in on goal, and suddenly pass it all the way back to our own half again because OHMYGODWEHAVETOKEEPTHEBALLIT'STHEMOSTIMPORTANTTHINGEVER!!!
We'd go from threatening a cross or to take the ball to the goal line by the box and back to the keeper in seconds, over and over and over again. JFC, at a certain point the coach has to change his approach, and if the players aren't implementing it, put a foot up their collective asses to make them. Waiting until the last few minutes of the game isn't enough.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Someone tell Berhalter that possession doesn't win games and can't score you goals. JFC, how many times did we possess the ball, progress up the field, then piss our pants because the Dutch weren't allowing us to waltz in on goal, and suddenly pass it all the way back to our own half again because OHMYGODWEHAVETOKEEPTHEBALLIT'STHEMOSTIMPORTANTTHINGEVER!!!
We'd go from threatening a cross or to take the ball to the goal line by the box and back to the keeper in seconds, over and over and over again. JFC, at a certain point the coach has to change his approach, and if the players aren't implementing it, put a foot up their collective asses to make them. Waiting until the last few minutes of the game isn't enough.

Frustrating for sure, possess away when you have a comfortable lead for sure.

This is what Mexico used to do to us, possess the ball for like 75% of the match and we would get the annoying “Ole” chants from their supporters then in about 2001 we’d counter and score and win more often than not. We let them keep possession and didn’t really press until they were in dangerous spots.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Frustrating for sure, possess away when you have a comfortable lead for sure.

This is what Mexico used to do to us, possess the ball for like 75% of the match and we would get the annoying “Ole” chants from their supporters then in about 2001 we’d counter and score and win more often than not. We let them keep possession and didn’t really press until they were in dangerous spots.
Exactly. With the lead, yes, possess away. We made mistakes with that, too, though, when we had leads; we would stop trying to possess, panic, and start hoofing it. This falls on Berhalter.

Spot on with how we turned it around on Mexico. Still love chanting "Dos a Cero!"

Luciano

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I found a chart that had the jerseys from 1990-2020 ..... Goodness, there are so many misses in there and really nothing binding them

This included the bacon jerseys, which had no emotional tug to a 13 year old .......

I'd be fine with the Waldo's - I'd just like something that would be a template over time
Pic or link ?

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The red jersey they wore for the Latvia match in 2006 was awesome. So much better than anything Nike has put out recently.