The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The Iran win was a terrible result. Unless we somehow scrounge a point from England, which is a big ask, Iran just needs to park the bus and play for a draw to get through. Who here thinks we have the ability to break through and score under those circumstances? Anyone?

Now, if we do snag a point from England, Iran will have to beat us while a draw would likely get us through. We really, REALLY need a result today. I believe...?
I think so. we can't just be ok with losing a game at the World Cup group stage in hopes of winning the next game. what's to stop Wales from getting a win over England? If people think that Americans are motivated to beat England just wait until Wales get their chance.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It was a great performance which really should have been a win. Adams is just

Fate is in our hands which is how it should be. Iran won't be easy but they need a win so it should open up a bit.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It was a great performance which really should have been a win. Adams is just

Fate is in our hands which is how it should be. Iran won't be easy but they need a win so it should open up a bit.
Iran doesn't need a win at all. If Iran draws with us, we're out of the World Cup. And, unless Wales crushes England, Iran would advance as second in the group. Iran has absolutely no incentive to go forward, and every incentive to park the bus.

This was a magnificent performance against England--the best we've seen in a long time--and it should give us a ton of confidence. Unfortunately, it's a completely meaningless point. All because we freaking crapped the bed against Wales.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Iran doesn't need a win at all. If Iran draws with us, we're out of the World Cup. And, unless Wales crushes England, Iran would advance as second in the group. Iran has absolutely no incentive to go forward, and every incentive to park the bus.

This was a magnificent performance against England--the best we've seen in a long time--and it should give us a ton of confidence. Unfortunately, it's a completely meaningless point. All because we freaking crapped the bed against Wales.
we have to be relentless in attacking Iran and that could open us up to be scored upon. Iran have 4 goals already so we know they can score goals. Turner will have to make some saves and the back line will need to be on it. And then somehow they have to find some goals as well.

Stout

Reaction score
we have to be relentless in attacking Iran and that could open us up to be scored upon. Iran have 4 goals already so we know they can score goals. Turner will have to make some saves and the back line will need to be on it. And then somehow they have to find some goals as well.
Yep. It's the nightmare scenario. Well, I guess being eliminated already is THE nightmare scenario, but this is pretty bad too.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

That's a negative way of looking at it though. Plain and simple, we win and we're through.

Can't have it much bett6than that. If we can't beat Iran then we don't deserve to go through anyway.

Stout

Reaction score
That's a negative way of looking at it though. Plain and simple, we win and we're through.

Can't have it much bett6than that. If we can't beat Iran then we don't deserve to go through anyway.
True, a failure to beat Iran would mean we don't deserve it, just like losing to T&T meant we weren't deserving of going to the last WC. Still, I'd much rather be able to go through a draw in an undeserving fashion than to fail to break down a park-the-bus side with our inexperienced side. I'd be all for an undeserving advancing versus a great performance but ultimate loss and bounce in the group stages.

Stout

Reaction score
Have we already lost? Sounds like you all are giving up.

I think a win or go home scenario against Iran isn’t the worst situation for us.
Not at all! I'm loving our team spirit after yesterday. I have faith now that we can win a very difficult game on Tuesday. I just hate that we were dumb enough (mostly our coach, but also Zimmerman) in one bad half to choke away what should have been a victory and a set up for easy advancement after yesterday's point.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
A Wales win would have been a much worse scenario. Sure ideally it would have finished in a draw but an Iran win was the next best thing.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think the USA team will win, but can’t expect it to be easy if Iran sit back and defend to play for a draw.

Stout

Reaction score
Just to put it on record: Even though I still don't like Berhalter as a coach, he has to get full credit here. He got us out of the group stages and into the knockouts. This has earned him the next cycle, for better or worse.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Just to put it on record: Even though I still don't like Berhalter as a coach, he has to get full credit here. He got us out of the group stages and into the knockouts. This has earned him the next cycle, for better or worse.
I do like watching our team now when we play with confidence on the front foot. and he deserves credit for that, but so do the players. they are talented and are ahead of where I thought they would be. I think they can beat The Netherlands.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Will be interesting. This team can play anyone to a tight game it seems like - with no draw as an option, I wonder if that will impact game flow, etc

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Will be interesting. This team can play anyone to a tight game it seems like - with no draw as an option, I wonder if that will impact game flow, etc
absolutely, now penalties come into the equation. I hope the USA score 2 or more goals in this one. I'm hearing that a lot of people around the world are giving the USA midfield a nod for how well they have played. they outplayed England and it sounds like Netherlands are also concerned about that area of the field as well. apparently The Netherlands have some ill players as well.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I do like watching our team now when we play with confidence on the front foot. and he deserves credit for that, but so do the players. they are talented and are ahead of where I thought they would be. I think they can beat The Netherlands.
So do I...when that happens. The man is like Kliff Kingsbury with a lead, though. We should name him Turtle.

Stout

Reaction score
absolutely, now penalties come into the equation. I hope the USA score 2 or more goals in this one. I'm hearing that a lot of people around the world are giving the USA midfield a nod for how well they have played. they outplayed England and it sounds like Netherlands are also concerned about that area of the field as well. apparently The Netherlands have some ill players as well.
Good point on the penalties! I'm thinking it's two extra periods followed by penalties, but is that still the rule in the knockout stages?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Good point on the penalties! I'm thinking it's two extra periods followed by penalties, but is that still the rule in the knockout stages?
as far as I know that hasn't changed. not looking likely now. Pulisic missed a sitter, he doesn't look normal. man the USA players look really leggy in this game. they are switching on and off and the Netherlands are kind of just taken them to the cleaners.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That is probably it for Ream and Zimmerman—Richards, McKenzie, Miles Robinson (depending on how he recovers from his injury) are all quality replacements and likely upgrades considering their ages and athleticism. The outside backs will probably remain the same with Yedlin being replaced as back up.

I expect the MF to remain largely intact, on the bench Acosta will likely be out as will Roldan…Paxton Aaaronson is the name to watch over the next few years, kid could be special.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Did anyone hear on the broadcast when they said the US brought in a coach specifically for set pieces? I have no idea who that is but he needs to be fired before they leave Qatar. I have never seen a US team worse on set pieces, they were just toothless on dead balls.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Did anyone hear on the broadcast when they said the US brought in a coach specifically for set pieces? I have no idea who that is but he needs to be fired before they leave Qatar. I have never seen a US team worse on set pieces, they were just toothless on dead balls.
yeah it's hard to believe that they didn't try something other than just hopeful kicks to the opposite team's players. and I think you and others mentioned that christian doesn't need to be taking every corner.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I really hope that they bring in a different coach. I give berhalter props for getting the USA back into the WC and getting out of the group, but I don't think he is the best option and sticking with the status quo doesn't make sense. We need to find a manager that can take this group to another level.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave