Are there any DTs worth a top ten pick this draft

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Obviously, DTs and guards are not usually seen as top ten value unless they are very special but is there a DT which not only can stand his ground but collapse the pocket. Have not been following college ball too closely minus keeping an eye on the Longhorns from time to time, and wondering for all the draft guys out there who would be a guy to watch in the upcoming weeks

Any guards on the other side of the trenches would also interest my attention

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If the Cards end up at 5 and 3 QBs are taken, Jalen Carter could fall to them. He can anchor and rush the passer. Bryan Bresee will also go top 10. He’s stronger at pass rushing and collapsing the pocket. He’s solid but not flashy against the run. He will get better at run stopping as NFL trainers start working with him. It will be a big drop until another comes off the board unless someone blows up at the combine.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Obviously, DTs and guards are not usually seen as top ten value unless they are very special but is there a DT which not only can stand his ground but collapse the pocket. Have not been following college ball too closely minus keeping an eye on the Longhorns from time to time, and wondering for all the draft guys out there who would be a guy to watch in the upcoming weeks

Any guards on the other side of the trenches would also interest my attention

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If the Cards end up at 5 and 3 QBs are taken, Jalen Carter could fall to them. He can anchor and rush the passer. Bryan Bresee will also go top 10. He’s stronger at pass rushing and collapsing the pocket. He’s solid but not flashy against the run. He will get better at run stopping as NFL trainers start working with him. It will be a big drop until another comes off the board unless someone blows up at the combine.
I'm not expecting another Aaron Donald, but this defense would be night and day with an interior DT who can pressure the QB, will keep an eye on the Bresee guy Thnx Harry

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need a stud DT for sure to collapse the pocket, I feel like that's the missing piece to this DL being complete. Yes we could use a bona fide edge rusher but Thomas & Sanders do get consistent push from the edge & they're getting better each week. You couple that with JJ, Zach & a stud DT & we'll be in decent shape imo. The middle of our OL needs a really good center & definite upgrades at both guard spots.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jalen Carter is the only DT worth a top 10 pick.

Brian Bresee is a top 20 guy.

Nobody else is currently getting round 1 grades.

It's not a great iDL class.

Last edited:

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sadly, since we all know SK isn’t going anywhere, this thread should probably be re-titled “Are there any LBs who are ideal for riding the bench worth a top ten pick this draft?”

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A great interior rusher is consistently a highly drafted prospect. Don’t know if there are any in this class; they tend to be pretty rare and have a high bust potential (like being an NBA center it’s a job guys get slotted into young and end up “having” to do).

I don’t know if Vance wants or needs a dynamic interior lineman; I think we need someone better than Leki Fotu and more dependable then Rashard Lawrence.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A great interior rusher is consistently a highly drafted prospect. Don’t know if there are any in this class; they tend to be pretty rare and have a high bust potential (like being an NBA center it’s a job guys get slotted into young and end up “having” to do).

I don’t know if Vance wants or needs a dynamic interior lineman; I think we need someone better than Leki Fotu and more dependable then Rashard Lawrence.
Bryan Breese is probably the best interior rush DL in the draft IMO. I would be curious what @Harry thinks. Breese has some other concerns (durability), but IMO, he is a monster in the middle from a rush standpoint when healthy.

If he tests that way I think he will test, you will see some JJ Watt comps.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Yeck, yes. And I would be fine with us going that was, especially being in a division with 2-3 teams devoted to the run.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Bryan Breese is probably the best interior rush DL in the draft IMO. I would be curious what @Harry thinks. Breese has some other concerns (durability), but IMO, he is a monster in the middle from a rush standpoint when healthy.

IMO the biggest difference the Cardinals could improve through the draft is adding some more young studs to the front seven. Kyler has been given enough weapons, now it's time to bring in some cheap, young talent to the trenches.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
IMO the biggest difference the Cardinals could improve through the draft is adding some more young studs to the front seven. Kyler has been given enough weapons, now it's time to bring in some cheap, young talent to the trenches.
Keim agrees. We're about 2 more highly drafted off-ball linebackers away from the Super Bowl.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Keim agrees. We're about 2 more highly drafted off-ball linebackers away from the Super Bowl.
Ok front seven minus ILB.

I think Watt is a goner and the Cardinals can probably keep Allen. That means the need at least two DL, and could really still take a swing at OLB as well.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jalen Carter is the only DT worth a top 10 pick.

Brian Bresee is a top 20 guy.

Nobody else is currently getting round 1 grades.

It's not a great iDL class.
Jalen Carter could be ours with where we're gonna pick more than likely but Keim is too ******* stupid to realize that. He'll probably draft another ILB or WR & then try & rationalize the pick to us when we know he ****** it up.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All for not if VJ is still our DC. Wouldn’t matter if we were awarded 3 top 10 defensive picks. I’ve been following this mess of a franchise for almost 6 decades & during that stretch, Vance is as bad as any DC we’ve ever had. What’s insane is that there are people out there that still think otherwise.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
All for not if VJ is still our DC. Wouldn’t matter if we were awarded 3 top 10 defensive picks. I’ve been following this mess of a franchise for almost 6 decades & during that stretch, Vance is as bad as any DC we’ve ever had. What’s insane is that there are people out there that still think otherwise.
False. Let me remind you of a man named Dave McGinnis.

OMG disgusting

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

OMG disgusting
Oh man, those coach Mac defenses were a lifeline at a point in time where betting entire unemployment checks against the Cardinals (repeatedly when we were 15 point underdogs) was the only way I could survive.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

OMG disgusting
Both were bad. We had many bad DC’s, and my point is that VJ is “just” as bad. McGinnis probably wasn’t given back to back “supposed” stud 1st round LB’ers either? My biggest gripe with VJ are his soft zones, too complicated a system, and most importantly, his inability to develop young talent.

Reactions: PJ1

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We draft Carter and I guarantee you we see Carter dropping in coverage somehow first game of the year. Classic VJ trying to outsmart everyone but only outsmarting himself, but it looks cool on paper

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

Since you asked. If you put them on the field today, Carter would be the better player. However, a year from now Bresee could be better or close to as good. He’s super strong, fast for a lineman and he understands leverage. He’s done well anchoring even against double blocks. He displays good burst and agility, excelling at collapsing the pocket. He’s seldom fooled by play fakes and he’s tireless in pursuit. The only major concern is he suffered a torn ACL. His recovery looks solid, but a kidney infection has cost him some games. A few scouts have noted he lacks a big time mean streak that some of us like. Nonetheles, he leaves it all on the field and plays hard until the whistle. I‘ll be very surprised if he’s doesn‘t go top 10, but pure ranking likely put him between 10 and 20.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we have a void at DT, we’ll probably need 2 for depth purposes.

A guy on K-state caught my eye. #50?