Dane Brugler Spoiled My Day

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
He’s one of the top guys that analyze draft picks. He’s well thought of by several teams. Again this season I had an early idea how I hoped the draft would go. This draft is so deep in players that would fit with the Cards, I’d hoped they could trade down and grab 2 excellent players. That still might happen. You might have guess one of the players I really liked was CB Christian Gonzalez. Some mocks don’t even have him round 1. Others put him beneath several other CBs. I had him in the second half of round 1. Then Brugler lists him as his top CB, going with the ninth pick in his mock. Why I like Gonzalez is he’s a true ballhawk. One of the Cards‘ big issues this season was the lack of interceptions. I anticipated this would be the case. Gonzalez is not only a competent corner but he has the ability to turn games around. I‘ll post more on him as the draft nears. I wouldn‘t consider it good strategy to take him at the top of round 1, so if Brugler’s placement is correct, I don’t see him going to the Cards.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Yes and then maybe no. There are a couple players who play those positions that should be rated higher than most of the CBs but not many.

The biggest question is if you pass on OL Peter Skoronski for CB Christian Gonzalez. Skoronski probably not an NFL LT but seems like a very solid OL prospect. Gonzalez has really developed as a playmaker this year and plays a more costly position.

I don't have a definitive answer myself, but that is the question.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes and then maybe no. There are a couple players who play those positions that should be rated higher than most of the CBs but not many.

The biggest question is if you pass on OL Peter Skoronski for CB Christian Gonzalez. Skoronski probably not an NFL LT but seems like a very solid OL prospect. Gonzalez has really developed as a playmaker this year and plays a more costly position.

FYI in this Brugler mock Harry mentioned he has us taking Paris Johnson.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
FYI in this Brugler mock Harry mentioned he has us taking Paris Johnson.
I read it but thanks for letting me know in case I had not.

I am not going to get too into the draft until our GM and HC situations are settled. That said, this is going to be tough draft depending on how the QBs roll out. Defensive talent at the top of the draft is good but shallow up front.

Will Anderson is a lock up top somewhere. I would argue the same is to be said for Jalen Carter. Both of those players would be awesome fits in AZ.

Then we get to the Clemson guys. Bresee is the more talented pass rusher IMO but a riskier pick with his injury history. Myles Murphy is a safer option, but I don't love his bend on the edge. He does remind me of Travon Walker in that way and makes me believe that he will never be a really good edge rusher.

Another top EDGE guy is Tyree Wilson but he is a small school guy with big ability. Sometimes those guys take a bit to pop at the pro level. I haven't looked into him a ton yet but reports question his bend similarly to Murphy.

The top two OL IMO are Paris Johnson and Peter Skoronski. There are two issues with using a top 10 pick on either player.

Re: Paris Johnson. 1 - He is a LT and some on this board argue that we have two LTs heading into next season and no RTs. 2 - Do you take a guy in the top 10 and move him from LT to RT? He did play RG his first year but not since.

Re: Peter Skoronski. 1 - I think you can play him pretty much anywhere on the line. Keeping him on the left side would be better than flipping him IMO but less of an issue. 2 - Do you take an OG in the top 10 that isn't a freak of nature like Nelson was?

Then we get to the CBs. I don't know that any are top 10 worthy but like five or six are first round worthy and probably 4 in the top 20. I think these are more of trade down options if a couple teams at the top pass on a QB and another team wants to move up and grab one.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Im really a BPA guy, but......

the Cards OL needs arent at tackle but at the three spots in the middle. There are solid plug and play guys at those areas in rounds 2 / 3 and even 4.

Will Anderson and Jalen Carter are no brainers defensively if they are there. Otherwise -- the edge and CB group is deep. As a result, I would be all in favor of trading down multiple times if the Anderson or Carter arent there ---

btw: i would argue that with Kyler the three IOL spots are as / more important than tackles. Teams want pressure up the middle on him with the edge guys doing a controlled contain rush.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said it before and I’ll say it again, o - line, d- line and a pass rusher.
I mostly agree - however I would not go oline with a top 10 pick, because I think you have to go tackle if drafting that high and I already think we have our starters in Jones and Hump.

I think Corner also has to be a consideration at that pick.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I think Skoronski will be viewed as a G by several scouts as he has unusually short arms. He’s agile enough to make outside work in college but NFL speed makes that tougher.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think Skoronski will be viewed as a G by several scouts as he has unusually short arms. He’s agile enough to make outside work in college but NFL speed makes that tougher.
hmm

that sure sounds like a 2nd round prospect then

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I said it before and I’ll say it again, o - line, d- line and a pass rusher.
Repeat, and repeat again. Once and for all make the line of scrimmage THE priority. Everyone else automatically improves

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I read it but thanks for letting me know in case I had not.

I am not going to get too into the draft until our GM and HC situations are settled. That said, this is going to be tough draft depending on how the QBs roll out. Defensive talent at the top of the draft is good but shallow up front.

Will Anderson is a lock up top somewhere. I would argue the same is to be said for Jalen Carter. Both of those players would be awesome fits in AZ.

Then we get to the Clemson guys. Bresee is the more talented pass rusher IMO but a riskier pick with his injury history. Myles Murphy is a safer option, but I don't love his bend on the edge. He does remind me of Travon Walker in that way and makes me believe that he will never be a really good edge rusher.

Another top EDGE guy is Tyree Wilson but he is a small school guy with big ability. Sometimes those guys take a bit to pop at the pro level. I haven't looked into him a ton yet but reports question his bend similarly to Murphy.

The top two OL IMO are Paris Johnson and Peter Skoronski. There are two issues with using a top 10 pick on either player.

Re: Paris Johnson. 1 - He is a LT and some on this board argue that we have two LTs heading into next season and no RTs. 2 - Do you take a guy in the top 10 and move him from LT to RT? He did play RG his first year but not since.

Re: Peter Skoronski. 1 - I think you can play him pretty much anywhere on the line. Keeping him on the left side would be better than flipping him IMO but less of an issue. 2 - Do you take an OG in the top 10 that isn't a freak of nature like Nelson was?

Then we get to the CBs. I don't know that any are top 10 worthy but like five or six are first round worthy and probably 4 in the top 20. I think these are more of trade down options if a couple teams at the top pass on a QB and another team wants to move up and grab one.

It obviously depends where we pick and I fully expect us to 3-2 the rest of the season and end up picking 12th or something. It is the way.

If we do pick 7-8 I think it's too tough to see how it could play out because there 1.5 games between 2nd and 14th.

I can see how soeone like Jalen Carter might be there at 7-8. I like him but I think top 5 talk is overrated. He's no Quinnen Williams. Quinnen had an 8 sack season, Cater has never passed 3.

Personally I'd go O line. I'd probably go Skoronski because I think he's more versatile and him floor is very good guard with tackle upside.

I'd trade Hump either way. He's a cap luxury we can't afford and there's no drop off to Jones. If we draft Paris then Jones can play RT. If we draft Skoronski he can play RT and Jones at left.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agreed. Same issue Justin Pugh had coming out. That is why we would have to be ok taking an OG in the top 10 which is generally a risky move.

I think Skoronski played C in high school. That would be a move I would be willing to consider even over OG. Kid is a technical machine.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. Same issue Justin Pugh had coming out. That is why we would have to be ok taking an OG in the top 10 which is generally a risky move.

I think Skoronski played C in high school. That would be a move I would be willing to consider even over OG. Kid is a technical machine.

This is why I don't think he's bad value around 10.

He might not be quite worth that at any one position but your probably geting a a tackle worth a top 20 pick, a guard worth a top 30 pick (or vice versa) and a C (if you want to try it) worth a top 60 pick.

His bust potential is miniscule and he could be great at any 3 of the positions along the line.

We can't afford to burn another 1st round pick and I see him as the safest of them all.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We could get a good draft pick, or two but Steve Keim is drafting those guys & he ******* sucks at it so................lol
Yup. I won't get excited about any draft pick that Steve Keim and this staff have lined up for the vision they see in them.. Zero effs given.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Drafting a Guard inside the top 10 is a waste. Even worse than drafting a ILB in the top 10.

Even that Quenton Nelson contract looks real bad.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
This is why I don't think he's bad value around 10.

He might not be quite worth that at any one position but your probably geting a a tackle worth a top 20 pick, a guard worth a top 30 pick (or vice versa) and a C (if you want to try it) worth a top 60 pick.

His bust potential is miniscule and he could be great at any 3 of the positions along the line.

We can't afford to burn another 1st round pick and I see him as the safest of them all.
A lot of things will depend on what happens with our staff and GM.

The Cardinals could do a lot worse than Skoronski but also will limit their ceiling with the pick unless they choose to move him to C.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Drafting a Guard inside the top 10 is a waste. Even worse than drafting a ILB in the top 10.

Even that Quenton Nelson contract looks real bad.
You pretty much have to move Skoronski to C or play him at OT if taking him in the top 10.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Hurdles to overcome in being a successful Cardinal top draft pick:
1. Avoiding Keim completely blowing the pick with a bust
2. Avoiding a major injury during preseason or at the beginning of the season.
3. Being forced to play out of position, limiting their progress and success, until they are traded to a team that puts them at their natural position where they become an all-pro.
4. Playing under a a slew of different coaches year after year.
5. Dealing mentally and psychologically with losing after being a winner all your life.
6. Trying to hide and overcome the initial disappointment and embarrassment of having the Cards, of all teams, calling your name on draft day.

Success won't come easy for any top draft choice of the AZ Cardinals.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose