Trade Hump?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
trading DJ is a terrible idea

Josh Jones slots in at RT next year

as for the "he cant play right tackle": he played ~40 snaps as a rookie at RT. Are we really basing the evaluation on that?

he played a ton of snaps at RG last year, where he wasnt good.

He ended up playing ~150 snaps last year at RT (Jax and LAR game 1) and was pretty good

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
"We don't have any OL depth!"

ALSO

"Let's Trade DJ Humphries!
I get what you’re saying, but it’s rather annoying having potentially the better LT on the bench than playing. I don’t like the thought of either Josh or DJ going back to RT, either.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
trading DJ is a terrible idea

Josh Jones slots in at RT next year

as for the "he cant play right tackle": he played ~40 snaps as a rookie at RT. Are we really basing the evaluation on that?

he played a ton of snaps at RG last year, where he wasnt good.

He ended up playing ~150 snaps last year at RT (Jax and LAR game 1) and was pretty good
His first 40 snaps at LT have significantly been better than the snaps he took at RT.

I thought he was average at RT. At LT, he has been good.

I don’t like this idea of slotting a guy that primarily played LT to RT. OL have talked about how tough that transition is. We seen how Veldheer struggled with it. We seen how DJ struggled with it.

It’s not like you’re switching CBs from one side to the other.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get what you’re saying, but it’s rather annoying having potentially the better LT on the bench than playing. I don’t like the thought of either Josh or DJ going back to RT, either.
I don’t agree that he’s a better option right now when he’s getting a ton of help.

If you’re wondering why the offfense feels stolid and clunky, it makes sense to start with the weak players up front.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t agree that he’s a better option right now when he’s getting a ton of help.

If you’re wondering why the offfense feels stolid and clunky, it makes sense to start with the weak players up front.
Ton of help, u mean Mcbride?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They play the same position, both are not good switching at right tackle
U go with younger and cheaper
C'est plus facile
They did in college. We have not seen Jones at RT in a while. To be fair, I think Hump could switch to RT now and be successful if he needed to. I don't personally agree that Jones has looked as good as Humphries.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They did in college. We have not seen Jones at RT in a while. To be fair, I think Hump could switch to RT now and be successful if he needed to. I don't personally agree that Jones has looked as good as Humphries.
Jones is fine, we still suffering pressure from the middle, but every time i watching him he doesn't struggle to block his pass rusher, like Beachum
And moreover he seems have no problem with false starts
If Humphries can be good at right tackle its great, we can focus on interior line

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Jones is fine, we still suffering pressure from the middle, but every time i watching him he doesn't struggle to block his pass rusher, like Beachum
And moreover he seems have no problem with false starts
If Humphries can be good at right tackle its great, we can focus on interior line
No way from a pride factor does Hump move to RT. LT is viewed as the premier OL position and thus the dollars being paid are the most in that position. This is the same situation the Ravens were in with Ronnie Stanley and Orlando Brown after the 2020 season (although Stanley and Brown are MUCH better than our pair - not even debatable). Stably got hurt 6 games in, Brown moved from RT to LT to take his place. Brown made the pro bowl, but more importantly looked like an absolute STUD. Ravens faced with paying 2 players LT money or trade one. They traded the younger Brown to the Chiefs and kept the older known quantity in Stanley. Stanley (who was the 6th pick in Humphries draft), has played a gran total of 7 games over the past 2 seasons. Brown hasn’t missed a game and will make his 3rd consecutive ProBowl.

Hump has now had 3 of his 7 seasons in the NFL where he has played 50% of his games or less.. and hasn’t been elite in any but maybe 1 season. This is why I was vocally against the extension this summer…. But now you’re stuck with him. Would be surprised if we could get a 3rd rounder.. and heck his contract might even restrict us even getting a 4th rounder.

He’s worth more than dumping for nothing, unless you are just doing a salary dump… but is anyone even willing to take on the salary of a fringe starting LT whose been injured half his career and never elite ? I’d say no, if LT was a need of ours - would you want this guy? I guess it’d be a Kiem move trading for a aging injured Vet?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, he's done for the season

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't buy that he is only capable of playing LT any tackle can play either with enough practice.
No true at all. I implore you to only use your left hand today and tell us how that works or for you! (Unless you see left handed, then only use your right hand)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Welp, now Hump is back to being an injury concern...yay.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Now he’s out for the year. I wonder what Payton would do?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
with the IR news, if you try to trade him now -- less than 12 months after giving him an extension, people will assume his back is in bad shape and wont give much

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What a forward thinking staff and organization would do is flip Beachum to LT for the rest of the year and play Jones at RT to see if he can translate any improvement to that side of the ball. This would provide you info on Jones at RT for the future or if he has to be at LT moving forward.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
We need three tackles on the team and that is all we have with Hump, Beachum and Jones. Right now this is a strength. We need to strengthen some of our weaknesses not create another one by getting rid of Hump.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We need a damn good center first & foremost imo. I'm fine with Jones & Humphries. The middle of the OL is our problem. Definitely need upgrades at both guard spots also.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The only thing which bothers me about Humphries is the type of injury being his back, those things are hard to correct. Not saying he can't overcome the current injury but a guy with his frame which uses leverage has me a tad concerned about him being reliable