Trey Mcbride so far

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
5 of the Cards last 6 second round picks (Rondale, Murphy, Kirk, Budda and Golden) were on the field a lot as rookies. Isabella was an outlier as far as production from second rounders goes, and McBride would be lucky to catch up to Isabella's rookie yardage total at this rate. McBride wasn't even active for the first couple games of the season, which can't even be said about Isabella.

There is still plenty of time for McBride to turn it around, obviously, but it's tough to spin 8 catches for 45 yards in the first 10 games of the season as anything other than disappointing for a second round pick who hasn't been out with injuries. Those aren't even Rob Housler level numbers.
Ouch! Has he exceeded his penalty yardage yet?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was surprised by the pick at the time because of edge rush needs.

I wanted edge rusher and Drake Jackson or Sam Williams would have made more sense.

At the same time I'm not concerned about McBride"s talent. I think he will be a good player. He's run some nice routes and just not been targeted. And it's good he's getting a lot of reps now which makes a change for our rookies.

The strategy is right. You should be drafting for future needs, but TE wasn't the right position considering other needs.

But McBride will be fine. I've seen him open a bunch.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Developing talent is just as important as talent.

I have zero faith in this coaching staff when it comes to developing talent and putting kids in position to succeed

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah not good today. Had a couple of good blocks yes, but missed some and that failure to catch the 3rd down throw killed us. The DB made a good play but I think it was going through Trey's hands anyways.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think it's fairly obvious he's nothing special at this point.

Maybe in a couple years he can develop into an Austin Hooper. Steve Keim was probably right on the money with that comparison. The problem is that Austin Hooper is a totally average, run of the mill tight end, and not worth a 2nd round pick on a team full of holes at important positions.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
I was surprised by the pick at the time because of edge rush needs.

I wanted edge rusher and Drake Jackson or Sam Williams would have made more sense.

At the same time I'm not concerned about McBride"s talent. I think he will be a good player. He's run some nice routes and just not been targeted. And it's good he's getting a lot of reps now which makes a change for our rookies.

The strategy is right. You should be drafting for future needs, but TE wasn't the right position considering other needs.

But McBride will be fine. I've seen him open a bunch.
Those were on running plays, he's suppose to be in blocking, not "open". Hope that helps

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here is the video of the thought process behind the McBride draft pick. It starts at the 7:58 mark.

Keim is super stoked because he thinks McBride could be the next Austin Hooper, whom he thinks just got franchised. He is immediately corrected by someone else saying the Hooper didn't get franchised, but he just got paid. In actuality, Hooper was released in the offseason by the Falcons and signed a 1 year deal with the Titans. Kliff is also very excited about the pick.

Our whole draft room is pretty much clueless. We need a lot of new blood in there, not just promotions from within.

This is pure BS by the way and nobody obviously checked to call you up on it. And I've seen it repeated a couple of times as fact since.

Keim doesn't think Hooper got paid and get corrected. He asks the room very clearly "Did Austin Hooper get franchised or paid?" he's then told he got paid. Which in a choice between the two is what happened. He was the 4th highest paid TE in the league when he hit FA.

He never thinks he just got franchised and he isn't corrected.

And for all the talk about it being a useless pick Keim voices these concerns in the room.

"Can Kill get him on the field with Zach at the same time or are they interchangeable?"

Grigson then points out he can also play F and Y which are positions they are short on depth wise and that having both McBride and Ertz on the field at the same time disguises the offense.

They are deciding between 2 guys they have very close together (I wish we knew who. I wonder if it was Jurgens who went before we picked) The other guys in the room like Grigson are pushing for McBride. Keim initially seems to be leaning more towards the other option as he knows him better.

And Kliff is all over McBride. Kliff clearly wanted him.

Also telling is that when they make the pick Adrian Wilson, Ryan Gold (AD College scouting) and Charlie Adkins (Analytics Manager) are all high fiving each other and a hairs breadth away from doing chest bumps while Quentin Harris is sat quietly.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is pure BS by the way and nobody obviously checked to call you up on it. And I've seen it repeated a couple of times as fact since.

Keim doesn't think Hooper got paid and get corrected. He asks the room very clearly "Did Austin Hooper get franchised or paid?" he's then told he got paid. Which in a choice between the two is what happened. He was the 4th highest paid TE in the league when he hit FA.

And for all the talk about it being a useless pick Keim voices these concerns in the room.

"Can Kill get him on the field with Zach at the same time or are they interchangeable?"

Grigson then points out he can also play F and Y which are positions they are short on depth wise and that having both McBride and Ertz on the field at the same time disguises the offense.

They are deciding between 2 guys they have very close together (I wish we knew who. I wonder if it was Jurgens who went before we picked) The other guys in the room like Grigson are pushing for McBride. Keim initially seems to be leaning more towards the other option as he knows him better.

Also telling is that when they make the pick Adrian Wilson, Ryan Gold (AD College scouting) and Charlie Adkins (Analytics Manager) are all high fiving each other and a hairs breadth away from doing chest bumps while Quentin Harris is sat quietly.
First of all, are you seriously defending that clown show of a draft scene?

Secondly, Austin Hooper was cut halfway through his 4 yr/$42 million deal a month before the draft. Then he signed a 1 yr/$6 million deal with the Titans. He was the 20th highest paid TE at the time of the filming. In what world is that "getting paid"? I mean, he was technically paid like every other player, but that clearly wasn't what was inferred.

It was pretty obvious that nobody in that draft room realized Austin Hooper had become a huge bust in Cleveland. If they did, they never would have compared their second round pick to him. That is the point.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First of all, are you seriously defending that clown show of a draft scene?

Secondly, Austin Hooper was cut halfway through his 4 yr/$42 million deal a month before the draft. Then he signed a 1 yr/$6 million deal with the Titans. He was the 20th highest paid TE at the time of the filming. In what world is that "getting paid"? I mean, he was technically paid like every other player, but that clearly wasn't what was inferred.

It was pretty obvious that nobody in that draft room realized Austin Hooper had become a huge bust in Cleveland. If they did, they never would have compared their second round pick to him. That is the point.

How is saying everything you wrote is BS defending the draft room?

You said Keim mistakenly thought Hooper was franchised and was corrected. You called him a clown for doing so. None of that happened.

He asked if Hooper was paid or franchised. He didn't say "This season". He was told he was paid, which is correct. And they were very obviously comparing McBride to peak Hooper when he was in Atlanta.

I'm guessing that when Hooper hit FA they did a lot of study on him to see if they wanted to make a move.

Nothing remotely like your fantasy played out.

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Then Harris should be the next GM if we are promoting from within. and all the scouts should be fired. I also now believe Kliff is an "Xs and Os" guy, not a "play to the players' strength" guy. He has no clue what a player can do or does best, he just has a role that he wants to force onto a player. Taking Invisabella as another example, Kliff was all excited about the choice back in 2019.