Trey Mcbride so far

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
With trey looking to play his 1st game with kyler. How do you think he will do, any of yall like what you have seen so far. from him. Is he ready to replace ertz, cuz who knows how he returns from that injury.

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With trey looking to play his 1st game. How do you think he will do, any of yall like what you have seen so far. from him. Is he ready to replace ertz, cuz who knows how he returns from that injury.
He's played in a few games so far.

He had shown he can catch ok and I think his route running will develop as he gets more experience, like finding holes in zone coverage. He seems like a nice kid but his athleticism is average. He isn't overly fast or strong but hopefully he can develop.

He had been blown up on a few blocking assignments but technique can overcome that as well.

His draft selection was a luxury pick when we had so many glaring holes at critical positions but that isn't his fault.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m legitimately curious what goes on that draft room.

Like how does Keim & the scouting crew miss pick after pick, year after year?
It’s bizarre. There are a ton of head scratching/bad picks Keim has made for years, but this pick was completely ridiculous.

there were so many glaring holes or soon to be glaring holes on both lines and at OLB… and we draft a TE.

And then even more bizarre, people talked themselves into believing it was not just a great pick, but somehow then extrapolated that to mean we had one of the best TE rooms in the league.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At one time I had high hopes for Maxx Williams at tight end. Hopefully at some point he can return to form.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
It’s odd because before Ertz was injured a second TE would have been a seldom used blocker in this offense. It’s really hard to rate McBride. Murray seems to need to work with a receiver a long time before he trusts them, so I don‘t expect much Sunday. McBride has talent as a receiver. As a blocker he’s more about effort at this stage. Unless Ertz can’t return at 100% next year or there’s a coaching change, McBride seems excess baggage.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
It’s odd because before Ertz was injured a second TE would have been a seldom used blocker in this offense. It’s really hard to rate McBride. Murray seems to need to work with a receiver a long time before he trusts them, so I don‘t expect much Sunday. McBride has talent as a receiver. As a blocker he’s more about effort at this stage. Unless Ertz can’t return at 100% next year or there’s a coaching change, McBride seems excess baggage.
I would not call him baggage, after all we always complain about Keim not drafting for the future... now I am sure Keim was not thinking about that when he was drafted for what he thought was the best player on the board, but it does fulfill that request minus a Delorean lol

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

To me the issue was Keim saying he sees him as someone who can play WR while also saying he sees his comp as Austin Hooper.

Something doesnt add up there.

Hopefully he'll prove to be more explosive, in terms of game speed and not 40, than Hooper.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They don’t…

Although this board can’t seem to grasp it, when you have three coaching staffs in three years, you’re going to have a ton of roster turnover as the new staffs cast away players who they don’t feel are system matches.

Keim has def had some terrible picks and a couple terrible drafts but, as of late, he’s done fairly well.

Budda
Jaylon Thompson
Allen
Collins
Simmons
Lawrence
Fotu
Kirk
Murphy
Murray
Edmonds
Eno
Ingram
Humphries
Marco Wilson
Josh Jones
Sanders
Gardeck
Dortch
Hollywood
DHop
CJ
They’ve all shown they can play to the level required to justify their draft/udfa position. Whether we use them properly, there are better players ahead of them, there were bigger needs in hindsight or they get injured is not on the FO.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here is the video of the thought process behind the McBride draft pick. It starts at the 7:58 mark.

Keim is super stoked because he thinks McBride could be the next Austin Hooper, whom he thinks just got franchised. He is immediately corrected by someone else saying the Hooper didn't get franchised, but he just got paid. In actuality, Hooper was released in the offseason by the Falcons and signed a 1 year deal with the Titans. Kliff is also very excited about the pick.

Our whole draft room is pretty much clueless. We need a lot of new blood in there, not just promotions from within.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They don’t…

Although this board can’t seem to grasp it, when you have three coaching staffs in three years, you’re going to have a ton of roster turnover as the new staffs cast away players who they don’t feel are system matches.

Keim has def had some terrible picks and a couple terrible drafts but, as of late, he’s done fairly well.

Budda
Jaylon Thompson
Allen
Collins
Simmons
Lawrence
Fotu
Kirk
Murphy
Murray
Edmonds
Eno
Ingram
Humphries
Marco Wilson
Josh Jones
Sanders
Gardeck
Dortch
Hollywood
DHop
CJ
They’ve all shown they can play to the level required to justify their draft/udfa position. Whether we use them properly, there are better players ahead of them, there were bigger needs in hindsight or they get injured is not on the FO.
Out of everybody on this list, Budda & Jalen are the only ones that have outplayed their draft status on a consistent basis. Humphries & Murphy are arguable.

Hop, Dortch, CJ? lol, why are you naming players this team didn’t even draft?

Ingram as in Keaontay Ingram? He has barely done anything.

Fotu? lol, one of the most useless Cardinals I have seen in a long time.

Are your standards this low?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here is the video of the thought process behind the McBride draft pick. It starts at the 7:58 mark.

Keim is super stoked because he thinks McBride could be the next Austin Hooper, whom he thinks just got franchised. He is immediately corrected by someone else saying the Hooper didn't get franchised, but he just got paid. In actuality, Hooper was released in the offseason by the Falcons and signed a 1 year deal with the Titans. Kliff is also very excited about the pick.

Our whole draft room is pretty much clueless. We need a lot of new blood in there, not just promotions from within.
Yea, I’m in full belief that Keim & the draft room live in their own bubble. No attention whatsoever to the current landscape of the NFL & its value of positions.

Wouldn’t surprised me one bit if we draft Bijan Robinson in the top 15 because that’s such a Keim thing to do.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yea, I’m in full belief that Keim & the draft room live in their own bubble. No attention whatsoever to the current landscape of the NFL & its value of positions.

Wouldn’t surprised me one bit if we draft Bijan Robinson in the top 15 because that’s such a Keim thing to do.
In the last 5 years, Keim has signed David Johnson to a huge extension, franchise tagged Kenyon Drake and re-signed James Conner for top 10 money. Robinson is absolutely in play if Keim is still around.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the last 5 years, Keim has signed David Johnson to a huge extension, franchise tagged Kenyon Drake and re-signed James Conner for top 10 money. Robinson is absolutely in play if Keim is still around.

oh my lord... putting that all together makes me want to throw up. No one should value running backs like that in this day and age. especially also rans like Drake and Conner. At least DJ was young-ish and had BURST on the scene in eye popping ways.

to quote the great George W. Bush... fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice... uh... you won't get fooled again!

OP
OP
netsnjkidd

netsnjkidd

Veteran
Reaction score
crazy part if we wanted a TE we could of just got dulcich in the 3rd round. Who looks legit just rottening away in Denvers offense

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually still like the kid although we shouldn't have picked a TE that high. I think the issue he had earlier is that Kyler as Harry said has to trust someone before he trusts them enough to target them so we had several instances where McBride and Ertz were next to each other, McBride got open but Ertz got the target. I guess we'll see where that goes. his stats in the last game were a byproduct of Colt just being unable to throw the ball downfield, both a time thing and a lack of arm thing. As the game went on the offense got shorter and shorter.

Hopefully that changes some this week Chargers defense not as good, Kyler's arm not as weak. Because it's Trey and Maxx now for the rest of the year, we all saw what Anderson brings to the table when he missed a TD pass right in his hands.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Keim's Cards have averaged 6.5 games over the last 7 years. At what point do you take the keys away from him and try someone else. This record is not based on someone who stepped in 7 years ago to take over a bad team. He inherited maybe the best team the Cards ever had 3 years prior, who during those first 3 years went an average of 11-4. So basically, I think it is very fair to say he has taken an 11 win playoff team to a constant losing 6-7 win team. What more is there to consider, really?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
They don’t…

Budda
Jaylon Thompson
Allen
Collins
Simmons
Lawrence
Fotu
Kirk
Murphy
Murray
Edmonds
Eno
Ingram
Humphries
Marco Wilson
Josh Jones
Sanders
Gardeck
Dortch
Hollywood
DHop
CJ
No.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose