OT: Frank Reich out as Colts’ HC

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I have to say I feel sorry for him. They fell apart because Luck retired and they were unable to replace him. I was just thinking yesterday if there were one team in the NFL that it would make sense for them to trade for Kyler it would be the Colts. They have a good coach, they have several good young WR's, a great RB, when healthy a great OL.

So I'm surprised they fired him they're obviously terrible but it's because their QB situation is so bad. I assume the reason they're playing Ehlinger now is to tank they likely don't think he's actually the QBOF.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He's been through this franchise before, if even for only a minute. I wonder if that was enough to spoil him.

Weird deal, if you want a martinet who's going to enforce discipline and inspire folks, Reich maybe isn't your guy. He hasn't been able to figure out the freaking Jaguars during his tenure.

But he's probably better than Kliff and would at least give this franchise some credibility. I dunno if Kyler would listen to him tho.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
He's been through this franchise before, if even for only a minute. I wonder if that was enough to spoil him.

Weird deal, if you want a martinet who's going to enforce discipline and inspire folks, Reich maybe isn't your guy. He hasn't been able to figure out the freaking Jaguars during his tenure.

But he's probably better than Kliff and would at least give this franchise some credibility. I dunno if Kyler would listen to him tho.
It's tough because this is a factor whether we like it or not. It is tough to fire your HC who is under contract for 5 years after this one only to hire a guy who was just fired.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's tough because this is a factor whether we like it or not. It is tough to fire your HC who is under contract for 5 years after this one only to hire a guy who was just fired.

It might actually be the only factor. Maybe you'd like a better best offensive lineman than D.J. Humphries and a better running back than James Connor, but in reality I firmly believe this roster is good enough to be In the Hunt. QB play is holding it back.

So, you are in a situation where Kyler has to be okay with the hire (or of the primary offensive person), the hire has to be okay with Kyler, but Kyler doesn't have (or think he has) a veto over the ultimate choice (although you've effectively let him fire Kliff after one season).

It's a wild situation that Michael Bidwill has placed himself (and all of us fans) in.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I firmly believe this roster is good enough to be In the Hunt.
Idk man, I just can’t buy this.

This is a poorly constructed team. We have no game-changers on the offensive line, we have no game-changers on the defensive line. We have little to no depth at basically every positional group. Kyler is playing poorly & I’m not going absolve that at all, but this roster is straight up laughable in a good bit of areas. Analysts even acknowledges this. You look at a NFL Mock Draft & the first few sentences you’ll most likely see during our selection will be: “The Cardinals have a lot of needs, but” “Arizona could go anywhere here. This is a team with a good amount of holes”.

Nothing grinds my gears more right now than seeing a team like the Jets, where Zach Wilson has been damn near atrocious, have a 6-3 record with a monster win over SB favorites, the Buffalo Bills. That is a well-built roster. This roster ain’t close to that.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It might actually be the only factor. Maybe you'd like a better best offensive lineman than D.J. Humphries and a better running back than James Connor, but in reality I firmly believe this roster is good enough to be In the Hunt. QB play is holding it back.

So, you are in a situation where Kyler has to be okay with the hire (or of the primary offensive person), the hire has to be okay with Kyler, but Kyler doesn't have (or think he has) a veto over the ultimate choice (although you've effectively let him fire Kliff after one season).

It's a wild situation that Michael Bidwill has placed himself (and all of us fans) in.
There is when a president of football operations or some position that advises Bidwill would have been handy..It is always Keim in Bidwill's ear. Not going to end well for Bidwill.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is a poorly constructed team. We have no game-changers on the offensive line, we have no game-changers on the defensive line. We have little to no depth at basically every positional group. Kyler is playing poorly & I’m not going absolve that at all, but this roster is straight up laughable in a good bit of areas. Analysts even acknowledges this. You look at a NFL Mock Draft & the first few sentences you’ll most likely see during our selection will be: “The Cardinals have a lot of needs, but” “Arizona could go anywhere here. This is a team with a good amount of holes”.

Nothing grinds my gears more right now than seeing a team like the Jets, where Zach Wilson has been damn near atrocious, have a 6-3 record with a monster win over SB favorites, the Buffalo Bills. That is a well-built roster. This roster ain’t close to that.
There is enough talent on this team to be at least .500. Every team has players they wish were better but good coaching finds ways to hide their deficiencies. We don’t.
We have wide receivers catch a pass then throwing it across the field claiming it should have been a lateral, which leaves no other choice but to run after the catch because the first pass was a forward pass. Insanity.
If Reich can be fired then so can Kliff.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

If Kyler plays like a star this team is 6-3, maybe 7-2.

Every roster has issues. Bills are actually too reliant on Josh Allen. But Josh is a superstar so its fine. Rookie level Kyler and the Cards have 5 wins.

In regards to other coaching options. Its really about what coach feels Kyler will physically hold up. He's not as twitchy as he was the last couple of years. Which is what he needs since he takes such little strides thus covering less ground.

Kliff has been limited a bit by Kyler not physically capable of taking over games anyone.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Kyler plays like a star this team is 6-3, maybe 7-2.
We were 7-2 with a better supporting cast while Kyler played like a star. So, yea, I highly doubt it.
Every roster has issues. Bills are actually too reliant on Josh Allen. But Josh is a superstar so its fine. Rookie level Kyler and the Cards have 5 wins.
Yea, and the rosters that have issues, the majority of them are under .500. I don't want to continue to see this excuse for Keim from you. It's a bit disappointing, especially from you. I expect and want Kyler to play MVP ball, but I hate the notion that we don't have a chance if our QB doesn't play well. I see what's going on with the Jets, Patriots, even the Cowboys when Dak was out, that is disheartening. I want Kyler to play like Andrew Luck, but I don't want him to be in Andrew Luck's position where it was over the second he had a bad game.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

It's for sure a poorly designed team, but, I don't know. Maybe I'm just like "We could have one more win if we were better coached" or something. Like we're a win worse than the Commanders. Are we less talented than them? I dunno. I don't have any answers.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's for sure a poorly designed team, but, I don't know. Maybe I'm just like "We could have one more win if we were better coached" or something. Like we're a win worse than the Commanders. Are we less talented than them? I dunno. I don't have any answers.
Commanders have a much better front 4 than we do. That alone will grind you out some games.