Isaiah Simmons

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching the highlights, he seems to struggle even with the new position
Difficult for a player to improve if the instincts are so low, he should play third downs rushing the passer and special teams

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watching the highlights, he seems to struggle even with the new position
Difficult for a player to improve if the instincts are so low, he should play third downs rushing the passer and special teams
lol.

He’s not meant to play football at the highest level on a consistent basis.

His athleticism is highly overrated. He’s only straight-line fast. He cannot flip his hips at all due to his lower body being so stiff.

He’s also relatively weak in the upper body to rush the passer on a consistent basis. Not to mention, he’s extremely inexperienced there.

He’s an athlete playing football.

I guarantee you this will not be a Haason Reddick situation all over again.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was a disaster. I've defended the guy... he has his failings, I think they are far more of a reflection on the franchise than his own talents coming out of college.

That said... oof... he sure doesn't look ready to play safety... or corner, or whatever he is supposedly playing.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Eh, sounds like the new staff is making the same mistakes in moving him to yet another position. If he'd been put in the right position from the get-go and not been tinkered with, he might've been okay. He wasn't. That said, it's hard to argue against the idea he's been a bust-ola.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he'd been put in the right position from the get-go
What is his right position? It can’t be anywhere in the back 7 because he can’t change direction/flip his hips damn near at all.

It can’t be in the front 4 because he doesn’t have any EDGE experience & lacks any fluidity to win there.

This isn’t a coaching problem. I don’t think it ever has. It’s an Isaiah Simmons body problem.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What is his right position? It can’t be anywhere in the back 7 because he can’t change direction/flip his hips damn near at all.

It can’t be in the front 4 because he doesn’t have any EDGE experience & lacks any fluidity to win there.

This isn’t a coaching problem. I don’t think it ever has. It’s an Isaiah Simmons body problem.
Listen, I called him a bust. Just enjoy being right, man lol

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This isn’t a coaching problem. I don’t think it ever has. It’s an Isaiah Simmons
I remember John Middlekauff saying scouts feared that he's basically just a Dime Linebacker and that you'd have to build an entire defense around him for it to work.

4 years in and that seems to be correct.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In this the first year of a rebuild, I would not be surprised to see Simmons released. If the coaches don't believe he will ever develop into a starter, there's no reason to keep him on the team.
I agree he could be released. That said so smart of this staff not gambling on him with the 5th year option.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
How would you do that though? I’m still not fully sure what this means.
Basically that it would take an all time defensive mind to figure out how to make Simmons a star player. It wasnt about really providing answers. Just more or so he's not a plug and play player and not a guy who can do everything.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Other than a few splash plays here and there... he's mostly a liability and can only be used in very specific situations. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he didn't make the final 53.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looked lost in the secondary. Lost and out of place. Not sure why coaches thought he could cover a WR.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol.

He’s not meant to play football at the highest level on a consistent basis.

His athleticism is highly overrated. He’s only straight-line fast. He cannot flip his hips at all due to his lower body being so stiff.

He’s also relatively weak in the upper body to rush the passer on a consistent basis. Not to mention, he’s extremely inexperienced there.

He’s an athlete playing football.

I guarantee you this will not be a Haason Reddick situation all over again.

I still say he'd probably have a better chance as a TE than anything else but he's in a situation where he's good enough on defense that people are going to keep waiting for the light to go on, until they give up and by then probably too late to try him anywhere else. Not saying he'd be a star at TE but at least there his straight line speed helps, and he has shown he has decent hands.

On defense as Dvontel says he can't change directions so the speed gets wasted.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Basically that it would take an all time defensive mind to figure out how to make Simmons a star player. It wasnt about really providing answers. Just more or so he's not a plug and play player and not a guy who can do everything.
Whispers again....It's why Paris was the right choice over Anderson. Haha

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We’ll have to wait and see how this plays out, but better to see this now in the preseason than when the season really starts. I still recall his best highlights at Clemson seemed to involve games against Syracuse. And as a huge Orange fan, I knew just how bad Syracuse was then. Personally, I wanted the Cardinals to draft Lamb, Brown, or an OLineman. Just hasn’t panned out like we hoped. I know that some of us blame VJ for not developing him properly, and that may be the case, but it just may be that he’s just not a great fit for the NFL? We’ve been going back and forth with this kid for what seems like forever. At least a final answer is relatively close at hand.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's a bizarre decision to put him at S at this point in his career. It guarantees failure IMO. But this new set of bosses have no investment in him. They probably thought about cutting him already.
Simmons asked JG to put him at safety, I'm sure after seeing his tape at linebacker JG had no problem trying that out. This is the route Simmons thinks can help his career, it's entirely on him this time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave