Our franchise QB

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is already the leader of the franchise, just not the leader some fans want. Figuratively and literally.
Yeah… the fans actually want a GOOD leader, who can LEAD the team and set and example to do everything he can, on and off the field to try and win.

Do you believe him to be a good leader?

I dont. We know by his own admission he doesn’t pour over game film off the field, and we know the Cardinals must not believe he’s doing enough hence the homework clause. And just saw a pathetic example of him not doing everything to win on the field at the end of the last game.

So, yes, he’s might be our leader… but he’s a piss poor one so far who doesn’t put all of himself into the game and rarely takes personal responsibility for any problems in the games.

And anyone who covers football and isn’t blinded by Cardinals fandom agrees. He’s been getting ripped to shred by the outside AZ media since last year’s collapse and that only continued with his online passive aggressive hissy fit and now play on the field so far this year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah… the fans actually want a GOOD leader, who can LEAD the team and set and example to do everything he can, on and off the field to try and win.

Do you believe him to be a good leader?

I dont. We know by his own admission he doesn’t pour over game film off the field, and we know the Cardinals must not believe he’s doing enough hence the homework clause. And just saw a pathetic example of him not doing everything to win on the field at the end of the last game.

So, yes, he’s might be our leader… but he’s a piss poor one so far who doesn’t put all of himself into the game and rarely takes personal responsibility for any problems in the games.

And anyone who covers football and isn’t blinded by Cardinals fandom agrees. He’s been getting ripped to shred by the outside AZ media since last year’s collapse and that only continued with his online passive aggressive hissy fit and now play on the field so far this year.
I don't know for sure, but leaning towards no. At this point him teammates believe in him.

I also feel that he isn't being led by good leaders. (Kliff/Keim) Some people aren't born leaders. Some are made.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about a one liner. He doesn't look, act, or talk like what people expect in a QB.
Right… he doesn’t pour over film, stretch to get the extra yard not take responsibility for his own mistakes the way you expect a QB to.

Are you trying to make this a racial issue? Sure, there are some racists on this board that will criticize anything about him because of the color of his skin, but that ain’t me. I’m the same poster who desperately wanted Lamar Jackson to be our QB in that draft. I’d STILL kill to have him as our QB. I’d kill half the board to have Mahommes as our QB. For most of Russ’ career, I would have done the same. Hell, I was more than fine getting rid of the Chosen One to take Kyler.

Kyler get the majority of his criticism because he’s not a winner yet and so far, has pointed the finger at everyone on the team but himself for that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right… he doesn’t pour over film, stretch to get the extra yard not take responsibility for his own mistakes the way you expect a QB to.

Are you really trying to make this a racial issue? I desperately wanted Lamar Jackson to be our QB in that draft. I’d STILL kill to have him as our QB. I’d kill half the board to have Mahommes as our QB. For most of Russ’ career, I would have done the same.

Kyler get criticism because he’s not a winner yet and so far, has pointed the finger at everyone on the team but himself for that.
I don't think race is THE issue, but it is likely a small one. I think it is more of a height issue than race if you want me to quantify.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You are kind of answering your own post here.
No, I'm not. Let's parse the teams that don't have QB's as their captains:

Seattle
SF
Cleveland

Naming a QB as captain proves nothing. Everyone does it, outside of teams with major QB issues, or Deshaun Watson.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't think race is THE issue, but it is likely a small one. I think it is more of a height issue than race if you want me to quantify.
You still haven't explained any signs at all of leadership shown by Kyler. Now it's turning into a race/height thing? Ridiculous.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agreed that race is an issue for some who are just racist, but it’s not why he gets so much criticism from everyone. And there’s definitely a height/size issue, but it’s not an issue because he doesn’t look like other QBs. It’s because his height and size both lead him to play conservatively with his body and not put his everything into the game for fear of injury… which ends up limiting the thing that is supposed to make him “special”.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
None of us really know Kyler, what is in his heart and mind, and especially how much his outer persona truly reflects his inner self.

That aside, he gives the appearance to me like someone who playing sports came with such ease, due to his level of pure talent being above everyone else, that he never had to worry about the little things. Possibly things like studying, preparing, and correcting minor flaws just wasn't necessary for him to be successful. Thus, he never developed those traits which others must endure to be successful.

He still looks like he is most at home when things are getting so out of hand that he can fall back into playground mode, disregard the stringent discipline that comes with a scripted offense, and is free to just let things happen and improvise creatively. He has always been that much more talented than most that he has gotten by well with that approach to the game. Having his mind clear and just be able to react to what happens in real time is a gift that has worked well for him. Having to follow a strict script is contrary to his nature and is stifling to him.

I truly understand that, for I have always been like that in a lot of life's challenges, even professional endeavors. Never short of confidence, at times, mental preparation seems in a way stifling to you, while to others you look uninterested and unwilling to prepare as others do.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not. Let's parse the teams that don't have QB's as their captains:

Seattle
SF
Cleveland

Naming a QB as captain proves nothing. Everyone does it, outside of teams with major QB issues, or Deshaun Watson.
Disagree. I think naming him a captain proves something.

Have you heard of any of his teammates say anything bad about him? I haven't.

I agreed that race is an issue for some who are just racist, but it’s not why he gets so much criticism from everyone. And there’s definitely a height/size issue, but it’s not an issue because he doesn’t look like other QBs. It’s because his height and size both lead him to play conservatively with his body and not put his everything into the game for fear of injury… which ends up limiting the thing that is supposed to make him “special”.
I didn't say it was the main reason why. You can't quantify why in a single sentence. Kyler got a lot of flack before he would slide feet first before a first down, or admit that he didn't watch film.

What I'm trying to say is that a lot of criticism has ALWAYS been there, justified or not.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s where I’m fully at… I truly believe he still has issues seeing open goes down the middle of the field and other places at times I think his height is definitely a hindrance.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You just stated a simple fact. I'm calling you out on your inanity.
Did you know the fact before? Does it inform the conversation?

What's your deal lately, DCR? You seem to be spending a lot of time policing people's posts, subject lines, threads, and very little, like, talking about football and the Cards. You okay?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you know the fact before? Does it inform the conversation?

What's your deal lately, DCR? You seem to be spending a lot of time policing people's posts, subject lines, threads, and very little, like, talking about football and the Cards. You okay?
Moderating. It is one of my responsibilities.

Besides, what is your point in your reply? Trolling?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Moderating. It is one of my responsibilities.

Besides, what is your point in your reply? Trolling?
Partly it's concern. I've never had a mod on the board jump in so many threads and call them stupid. Seems like you're the only one who's doing it, so I don't know if it's just something else going on with you.

Telling people their threads and posts are dumb doesn't seem like and effective moderation practice, but I'm not a mod, so :shrug:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Partly it's concern. I've never had a mod on the board jump in so many threads and call them stupid. Seems like you're the only one who's doing it, so I don't know if it's just something else going on with you.

Telling people their threads and posts are dumb doesn't seem like and effective moderation practice, but I'm not a mod, so :shrug:
I called the title stupid, which IMO it is. But you're right, you aren't a mod.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
How about a one liner. He doesn't look, act, or talk like what people expect in a QB.
So...his lack of height (look) and his inconsistency on the field (act) and habit of playing video games vs studying film (act)? Got it...
Not sure what the gold standard is in terms of how a QB is supposed to "talk?"

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So...his lack of height (look)
Yes.
and his inconsistency on the field (act)
Of course he was going to be inconsistent early in his career. He and his rookie head coach inherited the worst team in the NFL. This year's inconsistency is the hard one to take.
and habit of playing video games vs studying film (act)?
This is exactly the point I'm trying to make. People that have never played the position deciding how he best spend his time.
Got it...
Not sure what the gold standard is in terms of how a QB is supposed to "talk?"
Neither am I. He has been oft criticized on how he 'talks.'

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will say Kyler isn’t the most likable person. If, at all. I don’t mind it, but I can obviously see others don’t. Not saying “I”, the homework clause, that interview about not watching film, etc, you don’t want to or see that from your franchise QB. You look foolish doing all of that while not playing like the level you are capable off(for example, half of last season).

I do think a part, albeit small, is racially motivated. Bruce Arians used to get a lot of love here despite throwing players under the bus, rarely taking accountability, saying outlandish stuff to the football media, etc. The same stuff we trash Kyler for. I guess winning cures all? Although, we only won 1 playoff game.

I also think, like Cam Newton back in the day, the pregame clothing stuff is pointless. It’s the same exact dog-barking tendencies it was with Cam as it is with Kyler. That has nothing to with your play on the field. Making fun of the clothing is one thing, but out-right slandering just reeks of reaching.

All in all, Kyler needs to get better at being a leader. Stop saying & doing all the wrong things. Don’t pout at your teammate(like the Ertz miss in the 1st half for example). There’s a fine line between confidence & arrogance & Kyler has shown the latter part of it for the most part.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say Kyler isn’t the most likable person. If, at all. I don’t mind it, but I can obviously see others don’t. Not saying “I”, the homework clause, that interview about not watching film, etc, you don’t want to or see that from your franchise QB. You look foolish doing all of that while not playing like the level you are capable off(for example, half of last season).

I do think a part, albeit small, is racially motivated. Bruce Arians used to get a lot of love here despite throwing players under the bus, rarely taking accountability, saying outlandish stuff to the football media, etc. The same stuff we trash Kyler for. I guess winning cures all? Although, we only won 1 playoff game.

I also think, like Cam Newton back in the day, the pregame clothing stuff is pointless. It’s the same exact dog-barking tendencies it was with Cam as it is with Kyler. That has nothing to with your play on the field. Making fun of the clothing is one thing, but out-right slandering just reeks of reaching.

All in all, Kyler needs to get better at being a leader. Stop saying & doing all the wrong things. Don’t pout at your teammate(like the Ertz miss in the 1st half for example). There’s a fine line between confidence & arrogance & Kyler has shown the latter part of it for the most part.

Awesome post D

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else, but as someone who has been critical of Kyler from the jump, I can assure you "race" has ZERO to do with my criticism of him. As for Arians, coaches possess a degree of power and leniency when it comes to go after players, that actual players aren't given, NO MATTER THE COLOR OF SKIN. Ron Rivera, just yesterday, threw Wentz under the bus like I have never seen a head coach do to his QB. Are we to assume Rivera is racist against white QB's?

The clothing thing is absolutely stupid...however, when you're a NFL QB who is struggling as much as Kyler is struggling, and frankly, quit on his team in his only playoff appearance, the clothing issue only raises the chances for more scrutiny to come your way. I mean, if Kyler was winning, or has a playoff win under his belt, I really don't think the clothing topic would be one that gets so much focus.

All that said, IMHO, I actually believe Kyler has taken steps (small as they are), in the right direction when it comes to becoming a legit, respected "leader." What he says, how he says it and his behavior on the field have improved, at least as I see it.
Yet, none of that matters in the end... what matters is getting the most W's possible, period. And, as I've stated elsewhere, Kyler's challenges are only amplified by being so closely tied to Kingsbury...

Last edited: