Will the NFL change the rule on helping the runner?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They talked about this in the Sunday Night game because both teams did it on short yards including the TD run by Burrow where he was pushed in by his TE. Collinsworth apparently hadn't seen our game because he said I knew it was eventually going to come to this where NFL teams are lining up players behind the runner just to push him in he
was clearly advocating for a rules change. It's the rule so what Philly did to us is totally legal it's not a complaint about that it's that they IMO need to change that rule. Pushing the pile is one thing having a TE pulling a runner forward while a RB is pushing him from behind that's just comical. It used to be against the rules I fully expect it will eventually become against the rules again.

But with the existing rules a guy like Jalen Hurts or Lamar Jackson is unstoppable in the short yards.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They talked about this in the Sunday Night game because both teams did it on short yards including the TD run by Burrow where he was pushed in by his TE. Collinsworth apparently hadn't seen our game because he said I knew it was eventually going to come to this where NFL teams are lining up players behind the runner just to push him in he
was clearly advocating for a rules change. It's the rule so what Philly did to us is totally legal it's not a complaint about that it's that they IMO need to change that rule. Pushing the pile is one thing having a TE pulling a runner forward while a RB is pushing him from behind that's just comical. It used to be against the rules I fully expect it will eventually become against the rules again.

But with the existing rules a guy like Jalen Hurts or Lamar Jackson is unstoppable in the short yards.
I had forgotten they had made that legal. It is a travesty that it is allowed.

Also a travesty that Kliff and Kyler have never tried that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had forgotten they had made that legal. It is a travesty that it is allowed.

Also a travesty that Kliff and Kyler have never tried that.
What makes it a travesty that it’s allowed?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
No they won’t!

The rule that needs to be changed is losing a timeout if a player gets hurt when there’s a clock stoppage due to running out of bounds or an incomplete pass! Why the Cards were charged a TO when Jalen got the wind knocked out of him on the pass breakup makes absolutely zero since! Maddening

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No they won’t!

The rule that needs to be changed is losing a timeout if a player gets hurt when there’s a clock stoppage due to running out of bounds or an incomplete pass! Why the Cards were charged a TO when Jalen got the wind knocked out of him on the pass breakup makes absolutely zero since! Maddening
Agreed. If the clock was live, it makes sense. Otherwise, no reason for it.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes it a travesty that it’s allowed?

My issue is the defense is both trying to tackle the guy and if possible punch the ball out and now you also have to deal with a RB or OL pushing him from behind and in our game the TE literally pulling him into the endzone. It's allowed now but I never understood why they changed the rule.

My biggest objection is safety wise you have guys whose momentum is otherwise stopped being pushed forward so it increases the odds of someone getting injured. It's also unfair to the defense because if a defender were to come in and drill the guy to knock the ball out he'd almost certainly be called for roughness.

In one of the early games they did that and the announcer said I'm surprised we haven't seen defenses targeting the guy doing the pushing, just have someone grab him and pull him back or even just have someone drill the guy pushing from behind to stop it. I strongly suspect that would be called a penalty too.

What Collinsworth was saying last night was pretty clear the NFL apparently didn't anticipate the lengths coaches would take it they were thinking moving the pile not literally design plays to push, pull or both the ball carrier forward.

Again totally legal now but i suspect we're going to see it changed

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I told a friend last year, why not just put JJ Watt on the field so he can toss Kyler over the top lol

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They didn't push Hurts as much as they pulled him into the endzone.

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told a friend last year, why not just put JJ Watt on the field so he can toss Kyler over the top lol
Like the X-men's "Fastball special."

(Wolverine is only 5'3" in the comics and nowhere near as tall as Hugh Jackman who is 6'2")

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah that definitely violates that rule. That also explains why Kliff was complaining, I thought when they changed the rule they allowed pulling too but clearly they didn't so Kliff was right to complain.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More specifically, Rule 12, Section 1, Article 4, states:

OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS. No offensive player may:

(a) pull a runner in any direction at any time

(b) use interlocking interference, by grasping a teammate or by using his hands or arms to encircle the body of a teammate

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To me it's getting to be like the old electric football gmae where you flipped a switch and the field vibrates and all the players allegedly move but mainly in a circle! You'd set up formations to have blockers all around and the guy with the ball would try to go forward but usually just ran into his own blockers and went in a circle.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More specifically, Rule 12, Section 1, Article 4, states:

OTHER PROHIBITED ACTS. No offensive player may:

(a) pull a runner in any direction at any time

(b) use interlocking interference, by grasping a teammate or by using his hands or arms to encircle the body of a teammate

B is from the old flying wedge play I referred to. On kickoffs they'd form a wedge around the ball carrier and lock arms and just advance downfield like oldtime soldiers in a scene from Vikings

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
To me it's getting to be like the old electric football gmae where you flipped a switch and the field vibrates and all the players allegedly move but mainly in a circle! You'd set up formations to have blockers all around and the guy with the ball would try to go forward but usually just ran into his own blockers and went in a circle.

I always thought that game was so silly. I had what I think was the best football game as a kid. It had many offensive plays and defensive alignments on large cards. You each picked a play and a D, then put the transparent cards on top of one another and over a lit screen to see how the play went, sort of like a doctor looking at Xrays on that lit screen. It was very strategic and you learned a lot by playing it. I have no idea what the name of the game was or who made it.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always thought that game was so silly. I had what I think was the best football game as a kid. It had many offensive plays and defensive alignments on large cards. You each picked a play and a D, then put the transparent cards on top of one another and over a lit screen to see how the play went, sort of like a doctor looking at Xrays on that lit screen. It was very strategic and you learned a lot by playing it. I have no idea what the name of the game was or who made it.

I remember that game and yeah no idea what the name was

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The entire trick to that game.....

Use your knee to slightly lift the table on your end.
Players vibrate right into the endzone

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I kicked butt in Tudor electric football because I spend hours simply getting my guys to run straight lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol… The fact that we’re the only team in the league who can’t do this with our QB is the only reason why y’all are complaining.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose