Our franchise QB

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I’m a little less apt to blame the kid if the guys on the comms are yelling to clock it.
But that doesn’t account for him not picking up the first. If he waited a second longer he picks up the first, still slides, and likely still avoids getting hit. When you’re going for a first down you get an extra half yard to be sure. Kyler all too often gets a yard short. That’s just being a full out wuss.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe becasue a pro depends on the refs and the sticks and not the scoreboard? When you’re driving do you check traffic or just go when your child says “all clear?”

1. KM thought he had a first down.
2. The Cards on and off the field were screaming 'spike' because they too thought he'd gained 10.
3. KM had mere seconds to decide.
4. So... what do you do?

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But he didn't pick that up running. Which just shows you can get injured any time no matter what you do.
?
He hurt his ankle on a called run.

100%. Kliff rarely plays to win in those situations. He plays for the fg.
True. Although Kyler was gashing them on QB draws the last couple of drives. So I cant blame Kliff too much there.
Maybe becasue a pro depends on the refs and the sticks and not the scoreboard? When you’re driving do you check traffic or just go when your child says “all clear?”
@Russ Smith Speaking of his injury. This reminds me of the Packers game. Remember how he got hurt on the 2nd and short run? He actually didnt get the 1st on the play but they gave him the 1st down anyway. So instead of trying to throw for the endzone he/or Kliff? called for a running play cause he knew he short of the marker.

Seems we never learned to check the chains.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But that doesn’t account for him not picking up the first. If he waited a second longer he picks up the first, still slides, and likely still avoids getting hit. When you’re going for a first down you get an extra half yard to be sure. Kyler all too often gets a yard short. That’s just being a full out wuss.
He's been like that ever since he hurt his shoulder trying to run over a safety for the 1st down.

At 3:40
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He should have bounced it outside against the Eagles if he knows he's not going all out.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
2. The Cards on and off the field were screaming 'spike' because they too thought he'd gained 10.
4. So... what do you do?
You can’t tell me any one of the refs weren’t yelling it was short or it’s third down. Murray had time to check with the closet ref and / or physically look at the orange down marker. Kliff should have been running down there and standing right next to where the ball was spotted because I guarantee you the ref was saying or holding up three fingers for what down it was. Nobody on the cardinals did any of this but relied on some guy way up in the control booth who supposedly anointed a first down from high above

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You can’t tell me any one of the refs weren’t yelling it was short or it’s third down. Murray had time to check with the closet ref and / or physically look at the orange down marker. Kliff should have been running down there and standing right next to where the ball was spotted because I guarantee you the ref was saying or holding up three fingers for what down it was. Nobody on the cardinals did any of this but relied on some guy way up in the control booth who supposedly anointed a first down from high above

I can't tell you anything about the refs, and nor can you guarantee anything in those few seconds. The guys yelling 'spike' on the field were sure as heck not in touch with some guy in the booth, and KK believed he had a first down.

The time between KM going down, getting up and the spike was 6 seconds.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

A player should regard his head coach's instruction as if it's coming from a child. Great analogy.

Morty

Veteran
Reaction score
Literally has the worst situational awareness ever…

That’s two games now this season that has dearly cost us. Not running and sliding Outabounds in an earlier game costing us valuable time.

Now here literally sliding before the first down when he had plenty of space to make it and then spiking it on third down making us go for a kick with a street kicker signed four days ago…. UNREAL. A $240 million quarterback should know better.
The only player that was going to hit him is barely in this pic. In fact, he may have gotten a good spot by the refs!

Attachments

• SLIDE.PNG
    SLIDE.PNG
    815.4 KB · Views: 13

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can’t defend KM here.. regardless if KK is an idiot screaming spike - Kyler needs to be aware, it’s why he gets paid the big dollars. Between that and the miss on the Ertz throw, this is on Kyler. Gotta go for the jugular esp knowing you have a street kicker who sucked in warmups from the same spot.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can’t defend KM here.. regardless if KK is an idiot screaming spike - Kyler needs to be aware, it’s why he gets paid the big dollars. Between that and the miss on the Ertz throw, this is on Kyler. Gotta go for the jugular esp knowing you have a street kicker who sucked in warmups from the same spot.

Do you know that KM knew that the kicker was missing from the same spot?

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
KM should not have slid there. It's an awful play. I hope somebody in the media grills his ass about it. Does he even know that the ball is marked where he starts the slide? I'm not sure he understands that. He has done this before. Somebody needs to question him.

That said, there is way too much attention on this play. The kicker should have made the kick and we should have had overtime. The Cardinals should have stopped the Eagles on 3rd and 12 when Vance Joseph dropped Gardeck into coverage on Goddert. How many times in the last 4 seasons have we seen Vance Joseph drop his OLB into coverage on CRITICAL third downs and get absolutely burned? He will seemingly never learn, either. We shouldn't have thrown a million drive killing backwards plays behind the LOS. Hollywood should have caught the slant ball and took it to the house.

There are many things that should have happened that would have resulted in a different outcome, but being one of the last plays the 2 yard short slide gets 99% of the attention, while the real underlying issues of why this team can't play consistently good get swept under the rug.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
4. So... what do you do?
You can't go off thought - you have to know before you run the next play - there is still 30+ seconds left at that point.

It would have taken max another 5 seconds to find out - but then yeah, they would have to run some kind of quick pass play, and that may have ate more time, but they should have some emergency quick out play for just that kind of situation. Worst case there still would have been time for a kick on an incompletion.

It does scream bad coaching to me to not have some preperation for that kind of situation.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you know that KM knew that the kicker was missing from the same spot?
Even if he did, I am pretty sure the odds of him making that kick are better than taking the chance on a 4th and 1 and potentially getting no chance at even having a chance to tie.

I mean it was a 40 yard kick. The guy never would have gotten an NFL job if he was not at least somewhat capable of making those.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
Let’s say he gets the first down. What happens next. Likely spikes it anyways. Than what? Can’t run with no timeouts. Pass? Potential sack or pick? Was gonna be a fg attempt regardless.

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
No thanks. I don't want a coward like that leading my team. Fire KK and Keim and replace them with competent personnel (hopefully), then trade KM to a team dumb enough to offer up a haul, if there is a team that dumb. We're not going anywhere with KM so there's no point wasting another couple of years with him.
Coward? Wow!

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
KM should not have slid there. It's an awful play. I hope somebody in the media grills his ass about it. Does he even know that the ball is marked where he starts the slide? I'm not sure he understands that. He has done this before. Somebody needs to question him.

That said, there is way too much attention on this play. The kicker should have made the kick and we should have had overtime. The Cardinals should have stopped the Eagles on 3rd and 12 when Vance Joseph dropped Gardeck into coverage on Goddert. How many times in the last 4 seasons have we seen Vance Joseph drop his OLB into coverage on CRITICAL third downs and get absolutely burned? He will seemingly never learn, either. We shouldn't have thrown a million drive killing backwards plays behind the LOS. Hollywood should have caught the slant ball and took it to the house.

There are many things that should have happened that would have resulted in a different outcome, but being one of the last plays the 2 yard short slide gets 99% of the attention, while the real underlying issues of why this team can't play consistently good get swept under the rug.
You're not wrong, but year 4 Kyler needs to close those deals. My belief in him is higher than the other pieces around him. When he doesnt come through it makes me question if the gap is not nearly as wide as I thought.

You can't go off thought - you have to know before you run the next play - there is still 30+ seconds left at that point.

It would have taken max another 5 seconds to find out - but then yeah, they would have to run some kind of quick pass play, and that may have ate more time, but they should have some emergency quick out play for just that kind of situation. Worst case there still would have been time for a kick on an incompletion.

It does scream bad coaching to me to not have some preperation for that kind of situation.
I will say it is concerning if Kliff was truly playing for a FG. It seems we were going to run the ball anyway on the next play. And if so then yea the kicker was going to miss anyway.

The story is actually better if its just a Kyler issue. Cause then well he needs to grow up. If Kliff is having issues as well then we've got a long way to go.