Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So...you divorce your spouse because they won't retire and be with the family full-time for the next year or two. Now you are not with them forever?

There has to be something else going on.
I suspect they had an agreement that he was retiring, and he simply couldn't stay retired and unilaterally changed his mind. Such trust breaking has serious ramifications in a relationship.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I suspect they had an agreement that he was retiring, and he simply couldn't stay retired and unilaterally changed his mind. Such trust breaking has serious ramifications in a relationship.

I get it and you are the expert/professional here. However, I just can't see how breaking trust to play football/live out your dream for another year or two is worth leaving your partner and disrupting the family for life.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I get it and you are the expert/professional here. However, I just can't see how breaking trust to play football/live out your dream for another year or two is worth leaving your partner and disrupting the family for life.
Whoa, I'm definitely not a professional in this area! I haven't done anything resembling couples therapy.

What if you made a deal with your spouse that you'd make a big geographic move and change your family's life, and then, at a set retirement age, agreed to get deep into family life as promised. Then you just decided without her that you were going back to working a long, grueling job, nothing was going to change, and now she was stuck in a new place and new life after you lied your ass off to her. That dog won't hunt, and that marriage won't likely last. It's saying you're way more important, the family doesn't matter, and you will continue disrupting the family.

All that said, that MAY be what's happening. This is pure speculation on my part.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoa, I'm definitely not a professional in this area! I haven't done anything resembling couples therapy.

What if you made a deal with your spouse that you'd make a big geographic move and change your family's life, and then, at a set retirement age, agreed to get deep into family life as promised. Then you just decided without her that you were going back to working a long, grueling job, nothing was going to change, and now she was stuck in a new place and new life after you lied your ass off to her. That dog won't hunt, and that marriage won't likely last. It's saying you're way more important, the family doesn't matter, and you will continue disrupting the family.

All that said, that MAY be what's happening. This is pure speculation on my part.
I have a feeling everything is going to work out for both of them just fine...